The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

I had the best drivers license photo of me ever taken spoiled today because the flash reflected in part of one of my eyeglass lenses. You know where this is going. The second one will be an Internet sensation when I am arrested for tying myself to a lamppost outside of the arena to protest the Sabres' last place finish next season. They had me put my chin down, and it's just not a good look.

So PA, it's similar to your mugshot last time you were arrested? :)

I'm very sad I didn't learn Español, I have been listening to the pimsleur method for the last month, and it's helped immensely, I'm still lost, but I'm able to travel through the non-touristy countryside and get by with what I know.

So PA, it's similar to your mugshot last time you were arrested? :)

I'm very sad I didn't learn Español, I have been listening to the pimsleur method for the last month, and it's helped immensely, I'm still lost, but I'm able to travel through the non-touristy countryside and get by with what I know.

I wish I could hablo español.  It would help at some of the local restaurants in my new barrio.  I went into one and they literally spoke no English in there.  The neighborhood has clear delineations in terms of where it begins and ends (bounded by I-20, Granbury Road, Seminary Drive and McCart Avenue).  but within those bounds, the northern and eastern sections are very Mexican/Hispanic, while the southwest portion is much more Anglo.  All the restaurants and shops are along the northern and eastern borders, so...

I wish I could hablo español.  It would help at some of the local restaurants in my new barrio.  I went into one and they literally spoke no English in there.  The neighborhood has clear delineations in terms of where it begins and ends (bounded by I-20, Granbury Road, Seminary Drive and McCart Avenue).  but within those bounds, the northern and eastern sections are very Mexican/Hispanic, while the southwest portion is much more Anglo.  All the restaurants and shops are along the northern and eastern borders, so...

Duolingo app is pretty good for getting a few words into your vocabulary.

Just point at the picture in the menu. It doesn't really matter though, Mexican food is all the deliciously awesome same. Tortillas with meat, cheese, and vegetables. At least that's how Jim Gaffigan describes it and he should know as a pasty white guy from Indiana.

Edit: except for mole. That stuff is disgusting. Who the hells puts dark chocolate in a non-dessert item?

Duolingo is good for sure, it's free and you can do the time cheat on the phone to keep learning, but it's best to supplement with the speaking app of some sort, Español is actually considered to be very easy to learn. Idk who the F thinks that

I read Spanish pretty well. That's what 4 years bought me. Can't speak it for nothin, but my accent is excellent! But I hang out with a whole lot of Spanish speakers in my group of friends.

When I was in school they told us we could pick German, Spanish or French. They said German was the hardest and Spanish was the easiest.

I don't know where they got that ranking from because German is stupid easy. French makes no goddamn sense. Spanish is easy I guess?

Just point at the picture in the menu. It doesn't really matter though, Mexican food is all the deliciously awesome same. Tortillas with meat, cheese, and vegetables. At least that's how Jim Gaffigan describes it and he should know as a pasty white guy from Indiana.

Edit: except for mole. That stuff is disgusting. Who the hells puts dark chocolate in a non-dessert item?

Mole is awesome. And whether or not chocolate is present is very regional.

When I was in school they told us we could pick German, Spanish or French. They said German was the hardest and Spanish was the easiest.

I don't know where they got that ranking from because German is stupid easy. French makes no goddamn sense. Spanish is easy I guess?

I've been to Germany and after a couple weeks I was marginally conversational (could order in restaurants, etc.) and I have no proficiency for languages.  German is closer to English than a lot of people realize.

I've only ever had it with dark chocolate and I couldn't stand it. One of these days I'll have to try a non-chocolate version though.

I've had it with cocoa, not particularly sweet, and it was delicious.  But it's so rich it's easy to eat too much.

I've been to Germany and after a couple weeks I was marginally conversational (could order in restaurants, etc.) and I have no proficiency for languages.  German is closer to English than a lot of people realize.

I've had it with cocoa, not particularly sweet, and it was delicious.  But it's so rich it's easy to eat too much.

The couple of times I had it (this was years ago so my memory is foggy) it was somewhat bitter because of the dark chocolate. I'm fine with most tomato, tomatillo, or pepper sauces in Mexican cuisine but something about the dark chocolate/cocoa flavor just didn't seem to work with my taste buds. I actually sent it back because it completely ruined the food for me (and it was drenched in it) and I usually never send food back even when they mess something up unless they just send out the complete wrong dish. The other time was a year or two later and I just tried a bite of someone else's after they ordered it and I told them the story about how much I disliked it. Different restaurant but same area/region so it was probably prepared the same way.

Might, just MIGHT, have something to do w/ English being a Germanic language. ;)

(And, yes, a ton of words in English do derive from Latin roots.)

Might, just MIGHT, have something to do w/ English being a Germanic language. ;)

(And, yes, a ton of words in English do derive from Latin roots.)

For some reason, the whole Latin/Greek influence thing gets a lot more press in the educational system.  German and English aren't dialects of a common language, but they're pretty close.  Full immersion in Germany demonstrated that to me.  A lot of German vocabulary, while not the *same* has English, has roots that are close enough that once you learn the word it makes sense... like flug = flight.  hafen = haven.  So a flughafen is a flighthaven or.... airport.  It just make sense to me.

Edited by Doohickie

I've only ever had it with dark chocolate and I couldn't stand it. One of these days I'll have to try a non-chocolate version though.

I'm right there with you.  All Mexican food is awesome for me, as long as there is no mole.

I used to hate hate hate Mexican food, was soooo picky, one day I just started to love it, and now I downright crave it.... Our tastes def still evolve when we age

So true.  As a kid I simply would not eat Chinese food.  My mom would say, "fine, you can eat crackers" and I would.  By college, and to this day, I could eat it every day.

Here is an authentic mole that didn't use any chocolate.  https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20900-what-are-you-eating-or-drinking/?p=1026702

That sounds fantastic. I don't do any hunting or have easy access to venison, but I imagine it would work well on any type of meat, whether it be beef, pork, chicken, or even lamb. Maybe if I hit the grocery store up and buy the ingredients and print your post for directions I can get the girlfriend to make it. She does 99% of the cooking in our house in exchange for me doing 99% of the dishes and the laundry. 

More than a fair trade in my eyes since she's an amazing cook and I tend to use the smoke alarm as an oven timer because I can't multi-task for in the kitchen so either something gets forgotten about and burns or nothing finishes at the same time so parts of the meal are cold by the time everything else gets completed. I'm sure I could take a class and learn but I'd rather just do the dishes.

That sounds fantastic. I don't do any hunting or have easy access to venison, but I imagine it would work well on any type of meat, whether it be beef, pork, chicken, or even lamb. Maybe if I hit the grocery store up and buy the ingredients and print your post for directions I can get the girlfriend to make it. She does 99% of the cooking in our house in exchange for me doing 99% of the dishes and the laundry.

More than a fair trade in my eyes since she's an amazing cook and I tend to use the smoke alarm as an oven timer because I can't multi-task for ###### in the kitchen so either something gets forgotten about and burns or nothing finishes at the same time so parts of the meal are cold by the time everything else gets completed. I'm sure I could take a class and learn but I'd rather just do the dishes.

Ha, we have the exact opposite arrangement. I do 99% of the cooking, and my wife does 99% of the dishes. We probably split the laundry 50/50. Meanwhile, the dog gets off scot free :P

Me cooking is more a product of our schedules. I get off work earlier and have a way shorter commute, so I can have dinner ready when she’s home. And I’ve gotten pretty good at cooking because of it! I’m probably going to try a mole sauce since we’ve’s sounds so good

So the left click on my laptop stopped working today. Won't even highlight when I go over something clickable. However, when I right click, left click all the sudden works again, for a brief period of time. I can click anywhere on the website I'm on, but I can't navigate any tabs. also when I'm typing my cursor is moving all over

and random right clicks are happening

Any idea what this is? Really hoping it's not a hardware issue 

Edited by WildCard

So the left click on my laptop stopped working today. Won't even highlight when I go over something clickable. However, when I right click, left click all the sudden works again, for a brief period of time.

Any idea what this is? Really hoping it's not a hardware issue 

Any ladies, would you mind stepping out?

Wild, we hear ya. You did a good job of euphemistically summing things up. Stop thinking about it so much and go buy some fresh mangoes.

Any ladies, would you mind stepping out?

Wild, we hear ya. You did a good job of euphemistically summing things up. Stop thinking about it so much and go buy some fresh mangoes.

Turns out my mouse was plugged in and I had forgot it in my backpack in the other room

Turns out my mouse was plugged in and I had forgot it in my backpack in the other room

Ahhh. We've all been there. In my day it was gerbils.

Ugh, I had a mouse get into my desk drawer at work over the weekend and make a mess.

Edited by MattPie