OT Gordie Howe has Passed Away at age 88

Brawndo

Howe was a beast. A scoring machine, a bull on his skates, and a good guy and teammate. A good farmboy from Saskatchewan.

As a Wings fan, I admit disappointment in the way we played the last few times he attended games. The presence of a legend like that only rubbed in how lackluster our performances were. 

Well, now he can play the game on a great rink in the sky and be on a line with Sid Abel again. Ted Lindsay, don't you go hopping in that game just yet. 

The exploits of the production line Lindsay, Abel, Howe in 1947 on a tiny scratchy sounding radio (no tv in 47) amongst my first sporting memories . Howe , Orr, Gretzky stand together in composite as the greatest ever . His passing today a reminder of each of ours mortality, that we appreciate the moments and the people in them .

First Ali and now Howe? Sadness.

Any other old sports legends I should brace myself for? :(

I was just thinking the other day how lucky we've been as Sabres fans. But a whole generation of our formers is reaching that age now. The coming years will be very sentimental.

Edited by PASabreFan

Gordie Howe was not typical. This much I am sure of. There is something distinctly "other" about the man. He was a physical specimen. He took the definition of farm strong to a whole new level. He also saw the game a little differently than other players did. I almost believe he was somewhere on the autism spectrum just from how people describe his personality. Gordie was special. A hockey unicorn. 

Detroit Red Wings team photo from 1970-71 (Gordie Howe's last year in the NHL) featuring Howe, Mike Robitaille and Don Luce.

DzXXRET.jpg

Great photo of Gordie at the Aud (also featuring Gilbert Perrault) during the team's first year in the NHL:

raipWqb.jpg

I saw him play in a Legends game vs Sabres alumni in the '90s.  He still looked like he could play in the NHL.  Maurice Richard was the guest referee.

And that scumbag LQ invited himself into that game (him & Seymour's kid). Wish a real player would've driven that smarmy SOB's head through the glass. (Apologies for distracting from the solemness of this thread; it just brought back a bad memory.)

Detroit Red Wings team photo from 1970-71 (Gordie Howe's last year in the NHL) featuring Howe, Mike Robitaille and Don Luce.

DzXXRET.jpg

Great photo of Gordie at the Aud (also featuring Gilbert Perrault) during the team's first year in the NHL:

raipWqb.jpg

That was (99% certainly) at the Olympia. (The 1% possibility was it was preseason.) Sabres wore whites in the Aud in the regular season.

Also, that wasn't Gordie's last year in the NHL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.