Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

Regarding the blood clot - I fell into a suite for the Frozen Four. A high profile Lightning employee spent most of the second semifinal with us. He said that Stamkos situation was identical to that of Vasilevskiy this past September and arose after the same type of exercise. The type of exercise in question included the use of hanging ab straps. Lightning trainers have since eliminated the use of ab straps. Take it for what it's worth.

Interesting.  Thanks for posting.  And you too should post more often!

I'll try - I lurk a lot but forget my password and am too lazy to reset it. My gut is that they are very interested in Stamkos but the fact he's a natural center isn't an ideal fit for a center rich team. I also think Stamkos would be interested in Buffalo given the fact he grew up 90 minutes away and wouldn't have the pressure of playing in a Canadian market. Two things would severely curtail their interest in Stamkos:

1. Being lottery lucky and winning one of the top 3 picks. Eichel's winger would be had here at a fraction of the price

2. Vesey's perceived interest in Buffalo. Again, a cheap alternative. 2 problems with Vesey; of course he's not as good as Stamkos nor will he ever be and he can't sign until Aug 15th where the sabres have to decide on Stamkos on July 1

Very nice.  Keep 'em coming. 

And both of you might consider changing your avatars.

That is incorrect. He needs to be on the roster prior to the trade deadline to be eligible for an 8 year deal. The point of that 8 year exception is to allow teams an extra chit when trying to keep their team together.

I yield to your superior knowledge of the CBA.

That will teach me to believe SportsNet ;)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/five-potential-trade-destinations-for-steven-stamkos-lightning-maple-leafs-red-wings-sabres-avalanche-ducks-flames/

Edited by BRAWNDO

Friedman was correct that an 8 year deal isn't available after July 1 (UFA's can't get a deal longer than 7 years) but prior to July 1 Tampa is the only team allowed to give him 8 years. If his rights are traded prior to July 1, his new team can only offer him up to 7 years.

Friedman was correct that an 8 year deal isn't available after July 1 (UFA's can't get a deal longer than 7 years) but prior to July 1 Tampa is the only team allowed to give him 8 years. If his rights are traded prior to July 1, his new team can only offer him up to 7 years.

I did find the sign and trade option interesting, but at what cost?

• 1 month later...

Renaud Lavoie was on GR yesterday talking about Stamkos.

Feels he is not going back to Tampa and that he probably would not want to go through a rebuild in Toronto.

Mentioned Sabres, Islanders and Detroit as possibilities.

Feels that Detroit is the closest to winning and that this would be the best fit for him, but Detroit would need to do some cap manipulation.

Called Buffalo an interesting choice, as they might make the playoffs next year, and they are loaded with talent.

I'd pay him an extra million to get him to do that.

I wish they could break that he signed at the draft.  I know that this is impossible as he is Tampa's property (his rights) until July 1st.  But, man the Toronto fans would explode.  That would deflate their Mathews buzz a little bit and make me that much happier.  Now I don't care where he goes: Buffalo, Detroit, Vancouver, etc.  But it would be amazing to see the Laffs fail in that case!

Right now I'm against it. But if Murray were to sign him I'm sure my opinion will pull a complete 180. I'm a fan. Murray's a GM. Who knows more about the short and long term effects of a Stamkos signing? All in all it's a in Murray I trust.

There's just no place on the Sabres for a 60 goal scorer.

Problem is, what do you do with ROR, Eichel, and Reinhart?  I suppose Reinhart could stay at wing, but that still leaves a glut.

I'd rather spend the money on D and W.

Problem is, what do you do with ROR, Eichel, and Reinhart?  I suppose Reinhart could stay at wing, but that still leaves a glut.

I'd rather spend the money on D and W.

IMO, there is no such thing as a glut at center.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.