Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

He prefers center to wing, and it's a logical inference to say he would prefer to be a prominent member on the team, and therefore the locker room and organization. Indeed, whether he prefers the latter or not, at the money he's asking, he's going to be.

Where are we going wrong here?

FWIW, Ken Campbell of The Hockey News was on Hockey Hotline (no longer with Kevin Sylvester) today and reported that GMTM tried to trade for Stamkos last summer.  He also said that it's pretty certain that Stamkos is leaving TB, and that he didn't think Stamkos would go to Toronto.  Campbell said the most likely destination is Detroit.

If true (and I think Campbell is OK, but just OK), I think that means it's pretty likely that GMTM takes a respectable swing at Stammer this summer in free agency.

Boom!

FWIW, Ken Campbell of The Hockey News was on Hockey Hotline (no longer with Kevin Sylvester) today and reported that GMTM tried to trade for Stamkos last summer.  He also said that it's pretty certain that Stamkos is leaving TB, and that he didn't think Stamkos would go to Toronto.  Campbell said the most likely destination is Detroit.

If true (and I think Campbell is OK, but just OK), I think that means it's pretty likely that GMTM takes a respectable swing at Stammer this summer in free agency.

Boom!

Thanks for the info, nfreeman

My thoughts, FWIW:

- Someone has brought up Detroit on here before, but IIRC they don't have the cap space

- Murray sounded really, really happy with our forwards at the end of the year presser. Indeed his dream from heaven was a blue line QB

- If not Toronto, and not TB, I say it's Montreal

I don't see how, if Stamkos wants to win, Detroit is more attractive than Buffalo. Or Toronto, for that matter.

Which arguments do you dislike. Maybe we can talk about them and see their flaws.

The leadership and choking stuff. It's all just a bunch of white noise to me. Of course, on the flip side, "he's a leader because he works out hard in the offseason" isn't exactly compelling either :lol:

I don't see how, if Stamkos wants to win, Detroit is more attractive than Buffalo. Or Toronto, for that matter.

The leadership and choking stuff. It's all just a bunch of white noise to me. Of course, on the flip side, "he's a leader because he works out hard in the offseason" isn't exactly compelling either :lol:

I was just coming to post this.  Nobody really thinks Detroit is closer to the cup then Buffalo do they?  Especially with Datsyuk gonzo next season.

I should also say that, having listened to GMTM's & DDB's end-of-year presser last night, GMTM sounded pretty happy with his group of forwards, and indicated a couple of times that he really wants a QB-type defenseman.  So, since the prior attempt at Stamkos was last summer -- i.e. before GMTM got a look at ROR, Eichel, Reino and Kaner in Sabres uniforms, plus Bailey, Rodrigues (whom GMTM also praised), Schaller, etc. -- it's quite possible that GMTM's ardor for Stammer has cooled and that he'll allocate resources elsewhere this summer.

I don't think Stamkos would mind playing on Eichel or Reinhart's wing.  I really want our forwards to shake out like this

O'Reilly - Eichel - xxx

Stamkos - Reinhart - xxx

Kane - Larsson - Foligno

2 of Girgensons, Bailey, Fasching, Rodriguez, and Carrier should be capable of filling out the blank spots. Would Stamkos play left wing or right?  I assumed left because of where his office is on the PP, but that could easily be wrong.

I don't think Stamkos would mind playing on Eichel or Reinhart's wing. I really want our forwards to shake out like this

O'Reilly - Eichel - xxx

Stamkos - Reinhart - xxx

Kane - Larsson - Foligno

2 of Girgensons, Bailey, Fasching, Rodriguez, and Carrier should be capable of filling out the blank spots. Would Stamkos play left wing or right? I assumed left because of where his office is on the PP, but that could easily be wrong.

Are you ready for Giontawith Eichel again, or is it Samson's passes you want him to whiff on?

????

I have no idea what's going on in Stamkos' head, but what most hockey players want more than anything else is to be put in a position to succeed.

From where I sit, that opportunity exists in Buffalo and probably to a greater degree than in most of the other markets that might pursue him.

Maybe the reason GMTM seems so comfortable with our forwards is that he is 99 per cent certain we will be adding a 40-goal scorer.

????

Edited by dudacek

I don't think Stamkos would mind playing on Eichel or Reinhart's wing.  I really want our forwards to shake out like this

O'Reilly - Eichel - xxx

Stamkos - Reinhart - xxx

Kane - Larsson - Foligno

2 of Girgensons, Bailey, Fasching, Rodriguez, and Carrier should be capable of filling out the blank spots. Would Stamkos play left wing or right?  I assumed left because of where his office is on the PP, but that could easily be wrong.

I think that it would be RW for Stamkos, if not centre.

O'Reilly - Eichel - xxx

Stamkos - Reinhart - xxx

Kane - Larsson - Foligno

Dude, Kane on the third line? Is that DDD? Disco Dan Dream? I don't want Kane on the third line.

Kane would be great on the 3rd line

Sure he would. He would probably be making more than double or triple any other teams third line player and most certainly not be happy with that role.

Edit: I guess if Stamkos is coming and playing on the second line he may be ok with it.

Edited by beerme1

Sure he would. He would probably be making more than double or triple any other teams third line player and most certainly not be happy with that role.

True enough. But we can afford that money for a third liner who's contract ends before any significant cap hit comes our way

3rd line =/= third best line.

3rd line = our best defensive line.

Right now all larsson has to feed is Gionta and Foligno. Larsson seems to be a pass first guy on offense, so Kane would be a perfect fit to carry the puck into the offensive zone and cash in Larsson's passes. It would definitely skew the roster toward 3 more balanced lines, but I have no problem with that. Especially if we get Stamkos.

Edited by qwksndmonster

DD already said he wasn't going to split up Eichel and Reinhart next year.

Kane-Stamkos-Ennis

OReilly-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Larssen-Gionta

Moulson-Fasching-Bailey

I believe Girgensons will be part of a deal that brings in a QB for our power play. Either Fowler or PK Subban

Edited by dejeanneret

Kane-Stamkos-Ennis

OReilly-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Larssen-Gionta

Moulson-Fasching-Bailey

I believe Girgensons will be part of a deal that brings in a QB for our power play. Either Fowler or PK Subban

Pretty sure he said he had those 2 pencilled in together. Not the same thing.

Kane-Stamkos-Ennis

OReilly-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Larssen-Gionta

Moulson-Fasching-Bailey

Nickie D not in your plans?

Kane-Stamkos-Ennis

OReilly-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Larssen-Gionta

Moulson-Fasching-Bailey

Bit of a difference between these two guys.

I've read a lot about on here about how Stamkos is not who he was.

Is he still one of the 10 best forwards in the league?

One the 10 best offensive weapons?

Can he be the Sabres best player next year?

When will Jack or others surpass him?

I've read a lot about on here about how Stamkos is not who he was.

Is he still one of the 10 best forwards in the league?

One the 10 best offensive weapons?

Can he be the Sabres best player next year?

When will Jack or others surpass him?

No. He's probably in my top-20 though.

Probably. He's certainly a top-10 goal scorer (at worst 5th in the league, I think), but there's more to offense than pure goal scoring.

Can he? Yes. Will he? My money's on Jack.

See above: as soon as next year, and I'm confident in two years.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.