Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

"We all know Steven Stamkos is a strong leader. He captained his team to game six of the Stanley Cup Final last season. He also has an incredible work ethic; he is well known for his rigorous offseason training with Gary Roberts. While these strong intangibles are difficult to quantify, they still should play a meaningful role in justifying a premium valuation for Stamkos."

And do you have any thoughts on that quote or?

"We all know Steven Stamkos is a strong leader. He captained his team to game six of the Stanley Cup Final last season. He also has an incredible work ethic; he is well known for his rigorous offseason training with Gary Roberts. While these strong intangibles are difficult to quantify, they still should play a meaningful role in justifying a premium valuation for Stamkos."

Didn't Coney Hotdog train with Gary Roberts?

Did Stamkos really "captain" his team to a game 6 of the Cup final..... Or did his team just make it to game 6 of the Cup final and he just happen to be labeled a captain?

Yes

If it were my resume, I'd word it the 1st way.....

He's not just a goal scorer, he's a leader.   Some folks here don't think he's a very good leader.

So, that guy says he's a leader, so he must be a leader. It's from a Leafs site, no wonder he says that. I posted the article more so for the objective graphs than his opinion 

Eh, Ryan O'Reilly is our leader.

+1, we don't need a player with leadership qualities.  O'Reilly already has the offseason warrior motif.  They are both the same age, and O'Reilly has never had a major injury.  I would be very wary of the injury.   But, it is Stamkos.  

I don't think it's important whether Stamkos is a good leader. Not for the Sabres anyway. I think this season (you're welcome Ink) has shown we have a strong room and leadership. Not that you can ever truly have too many leaders, I just don't think it has the value added here that it would elsewhere.

I don't think it's important whether Stamkos is a good leader. Not for the Sabres anyway. I think this season (you're welcome Ink) has shown we have a strong room and leadership. Not that you can ever truly have too many leaders, I just don't think it has the value added here that it would elsewhere.

I think you can have to many leaders because then you don't have any followers. If the Sabres had added Stamkos last offseason, so he had chance to grow with the team during this season, I would be much less apprehensive about adding him.  The fact that the Sabres, as a team, have come together is good. What happens when you add a player to that mix who is used to being captain and top dog? He could either A) settle into the room and be fine or B) want to be top dog and get push back because he won't be one of the guys.  I have no way of knowing which Stamkos would be. I like him actually and hope he stays in TB because I don't want him on the laughs. 

If you go back to the article and look at the numbers, Stamkos is starting to decline. If it follows the current trend then in 7 years he will still be effective but overpaid. I just think that with the issues the Sabres have elsewhere in their lineup we should spend money on defense before we spend 10million on Stamkos.  

Edited by LGR4GM

This is Eichel's team to carry and O'Reilly's team to lead. If Stamkos would be willing to be just another forward, making 7-8 a year, that would be great. But I don't think Stamkos would accept any of that.

Even if Stamkos wanted 9mil but was still willing to accept not being "the guy" it would probably be okay. I just think he wants to be Captain and he wants it to be his team.

Even if Stamkos wanted 9mil but was still willing to accept not being "the guy" it would probably be okay. I just think he wants to be Captain and he wants it to be his team.

I'm not so sure about the last sentence.  He inherited the captaincy in TB and he may not have wanted all that goes with it.

I think he would take an A on his jersey in Buffalo, if he watched the highlight reels and can envision either Eich, or Samson, dishing him the puck like St Louis did in Tampa.

Speaking of Eich, I watched that reel of his goals and there were a number of them that were very Stamkos like ... one timer on a cross ice feed.  Very awesome, indeed.

I agree 10 mil per season can bring in some gritty players that can help this team. We have scorers that will come of age we need defense, and some left handed wingers.

If he wants ot win championships for a few years then he should take a little less and not need to be a captain. Or the #1 center

He turned down a 8.5 mil per seaosn deal so...  obviously he is not going lower than that. He'll get $10 from someone.. but that's a lot of pigeon tied up into a player who has declined a little since his 50 goal seasons. We can get 2 really good gritty players a winger and a defense man for that scratch and still have coin to burn.

Stamkos would have to start scoring 40 every year to begin to justify that contract.. and 50 is expected from the highest paid player int he NHL

Edited by ddaryl

I'm not so sure about the last sentence.  He inherited the captaincy in TB and he may not have wanted all that goes with it.

I think he would take an A on his jersey in Buffalo, if he watched the highlight reels and can envision either Eich, or Samson, dishing him the puck like St Louis did in Tampa.

Speaking of Eich, I watched that reel of his goals and there were a number of them that were very Stamkos like ... one timer on a cross ice feed.  Very awesome, indeed.

Do you want Eichel feeding Stamkos the puck for the next 7 years or Reinhart/Other feeding Eichel the puck?

If you bring in Stamkos he is your #1 center which slides ROR to #2 which slides Jack Jack to #3????  Not sure I would want that personally. 

Your alternative is to spend some of the Stamkos deal on Rasmus and a UFA LHD.  I think that helps round out the team more.

Do you want Eichel feeding Stamkos the puck for the next 7 years or Reinhart/Other feeding Eichel the puck?

If you bring in Stamkos he is your #1 center which slides ROR to #2 which slides Jack Jack to #3????  Not sure I would want that personally. 

Your alternative is to spend some of the Stamkos deal on Rasmus and a UFA LHD.  I think that helps round out the team more.

I get this. All of it. My feeling is if you have an opportunity to add someone the caliber of Stamkos, you do it period. But your last line is ultimately where I think I've settled on the issue.

Really though? We're too fracking good to think of adding Stamkos now? Amazing and true.

We are ready to advance at lightning speed now. Playoffs or bust 2016/2017

If you bring in Stamkos he is your #1 center which slides ROR to #2 which slides Jack Jack to #3???? Not sure I would want that personally.

Your alternative is to spend some of the Stamkos deal on Rasmus and a UFA LHD. I think that helps round out the team more.

Honestly, if we add Stamkos, I think the best fit is at center with ROR sliding over to be his LW. Can help cover the defensive responsibilities, and we know he's a heck of a passer and would be passing on his forehand rather than backhand like Jack. Plus it avoids the whole "does he absolutely demand to play center?"

O'Reilly-Stamkos-competition

Kane-Eichel-Reinhart

While I'd still prefer Kane to be with Larsson and/or to spend the money on defense, I think that works.

When I see some of the arguments made against signing Stamkos, it makes me sad that I'm on that side of the fence. Same conclusion, but far different way of reaching it.

Which arguments do you dislike. Maybe we can talk about them and see their flaws.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.