Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

I think Nash is slowing down considerably and is no longer good for 25-40

Is he slowing down, or was it just a Murphy's Law season for him? After all, he last scored 40 as recently as Stamkos.

The advantage of Nash is he's just a stopgap while we develop Bailey/Fasching/whoever. If the wheels come off, he's off the books in two years anyway. I don't have much interest in Nash at his full cap hit, but if you could get NY to shave a couple million off it? Sign me up.

McKenzie on Stamkos (paraphrasing):

- Cap hell for TB right now; drafted and developed too many great young players (Kucherov, Stamkos, Killorn, Paquette, JT Brown, Namestnikov, Nesterov) all have to be paid this year

Does it give anyone else a little pause that Yzerman, who I consider one of the smartest GMs in the league, is even considering keeping say Namestnikov and Brown over Stamkos?

My initial lineup would be:

O'Reilly-Stamkos-competition

Girgensons-Eichel-Reinhart

Kane-Larsson-Gionta

Ok you know what, I may actually be coming around on the Stamkos idea.  I know we need help on D, there's no question.  But, Pittsburgh doesn't have that scary of a D, they have such good forwards that most of the game is played in the other teams end.  I can't even imagine how potent this lineup could be with Stamkos in the lineup.

True, you could get your wish of ROR and Eichel together.  My 3rd line would be the same as yours.  My top 6 would be:

O'Reilly-Eichel-Pray Tyler Ennis is ok

Girgensons-Stamkos-Reinhart

That's not only a playoff group of forwards on paper but one that could do some serious damage.  Our PP was incredible without Stamkos.  Add him in and it won't be like the PP is over if the first unit doesn't score similar to last year.

Is he slowing down, or was it just a Murphy's Law season for him? After all, he last scored 40 as recently as Stamkos.

The advantage of Nash is he's just a stopgap while we develop Bailey/Fasching/whoever. If the wheels come off, he's off the books in two years anyway. I don't have much interest in Nash at his full cap hit, but if you could get NY to shave a couple million off it? Sign me up.

Does it give anyone else a little pause that Yzerman, who I consider one of the smartest GMs in the league, is even considering keeping say Namestnikov and Brown over Stamkos?

Re Yzerman yes and no. Stevie Y has proven quite adept at finding talent throughout the draft and Tampa has had success without Stamkos in the lineup. On the same token he is head of an organization that felt Jonathan Drouin was better served playing in AHL this season.

Re Nash this trade proposal came across Twitter.

Nash and Marek Hrivlat with 2.3 Million retained to Buffalo for 8th, 98th and Cody Franson.

No way GMTM makes that trade

He does have a great shot, but playmaking is his strongest asset. I think he'd be great with Stamkos. But the beauty of it is you can mix and match, there are lots of great ways to line them up.

O'Reilly - Eichel - Stamkos

Kane - Reinhart - Girgensons

Kane - O'Reilly - Stamkos

Girgensons - Eichel - Reinhart

O'Reilly - Eichel - Girgensons

Kane - Stamkos - Reinhart

Etc etc

Girgensons has no place in the top 6 of a good team.

Re Yzerman yes and no. Stevie Y has proven quite adept at finding talent throughout the draft and Tampa has had success without Stamkos in the lineup. On the same token he is head of an organization that felt Jonathan Drouin was better served playing in AHL this season.

Re Nash this trade proposal came across Twitter.

Nash and Marek Hrivlat with 2.3 Million retained to Buffalo for 8th, 98th and Cody Franson.

No ###### way GMTM makes that trade

Who tweeted that out?

Agreed.

I wasn't aware of how much they'll really need to spend. Kucherov, Johnson, Hedman, Bishop....each of those is going to cost $5m+. As much as Stamkos and TB may want something to work, I really don't think it happens

I wasn't aware of how much they'll really need to spend. Kucherov, Johnson, Hedman, Bishop....each of those is going to cost $5m+. As much as Stamkos and TB may want something to work, I really don't think it happens

Personally, if Bishop is due, I sign and trade him. With Vasilevskiy and Gudlevski behind him, with today's nhl, I would be confident moving on.

Just looked Bishop has 1 year left, I'd consider trading him.

Personally, if Bishop is due, I sign and trade him. With Vasilevskiy and Gudlevski behind him, with today's nhl, I would be confident moving on.

Agreed. He's going to be the odd man out here. Still though, we have, what? $9m (Hedman), $5-7m (Kucherov/Johnson), than a bunch of other money you have to toss around to the rest of your UFA's? Literally their entire team is RFA's this season, it's insane. Next season? Same deal

2016:

RFA: Brown, Killorn, Kucherov, Namestnikov, Paquette, Mesterov

UFA: Stamkos

2017:

RFA: Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Vermin, Sustr, Vasilesvkiy

UFA: Boyle, Hedman, Bishop

Even outside of that, they have big names coming off in 2018 too. As much as Stevie Y can get praise for the drafting and assembling of this team, he's done an incredibly poor job at spacing his contracts and ELC's. The only player signed long term is Callahan. 

I'm not so sure. I think it depends on if he has a bounce back season. It wasn't long ago people were saying we didn't need ROR because we had Girgensons. It's far from a sure thing, but I can see him bouncing back to the point that he is a good complimentary piece to an Eichel or a Reinhart. 

Edited by Thorny

I'm not sure sure. I think it depends on if he has a bounce back season. It wasn't long ago people were saying we didn't need ROR because we had Girgensons. It's far from a sure thing, but I can see him bouncing back to the point that he is a good complimentary piece to an Eichel or a Reinhart. 

Yep, just last offseason.

I'm not so sure. I think it depends on if he has a bounce back season. It wasn't long ago people were saying we didn't need ROR because we had Girgensons. It's far from a sure thing, but I can see him bouncing back to the point that he is a good complimentary piece to an Eichel or a Reinhart. 

Yep, just last offseason.

I'm going to need examples, 'cuz I don't remember this at all.

I still say ROR won't be our #1C when we're actually challenging for a cusp.

To be fair, just because Liger said it more than once doesn't mean that it was a widely held opinion.

I think Zemgus is good enough to be a consistent middle 6 player, switching between the 2nd and 3rd lines and being able to ride shotgun on the 1st if need be.

I'm going to need examples, 'cuz I don't remember this at all.

I still say ROR won't be our #1C when we're actually challenging for a cusp.

There were definitely people posting it, I don't think it was just Liger. Unfortunately I'm not feeling inclined enough to look them up right now. If someone else wants to: hurry, I'll time you! :p

Edit - and I agree, ROR won't be. Eichel will be.

I'll step up here. I said I thought Zemgus could play a similar game to ROR and we wouldn't necessarily need ROR. Obviously I was wrong.

Good man. I don't think it was just you, though. Next time you point out an opinion that was proven inaccurate and I'm a guilty party, (which is me, a lot), I'll return the favour with an "I'm SPARTACUS!"

To be fair, just because Liger said it more than once doesn't mean that it was a widely held opinion.

I think Zemgus is good enough to be a consistent middle 6 player, switching between the 2nd and 3rd lines and being able to ride shotgun on the 1st if need be.

Better than fair the way I heard it. Edited by Thorny

I'll step up here. I said I thought Zemgus could play a similar game to ROR and we wouldn't necessarily need ROR. Obviously I was wrong.

I'm right in this boat with you. I was very much against adding ROR. Edited by WildCard

I agree. No need to rush a decision on Zemgus.

I didn't want O'Reilly but it had way more to do with having Eichel and Reinhart already and not Zemgus. I'll admit to being wrong at this point, even though prior to the trade I admitted that it would be highly beneficial for the first couple of seasons at least. To make myself feel better after the fact I also convinced myself that after Eichel and Reinhart developed into true top line NHL centers that we'd easily be able to trade O'Reilly to a team like Toronto because our their void of capable centers for the back half of his contract. That may still be the case but if we do end up trading O'Reilly down the road to a team to save cap space it likely won't be Toronto.

I don't know how but I now have a feeling that NYR will be the destination. Bright Lights Big City time.

I think he'd be nuts to go to the Rangers at this point. That's a team on the way down. Sure, he'd boost them up, but I don't see them as a legit contender in the next 3-5 years even with him. He needs a team thats just out of reach of the cup, or just starting an upswing. Honestly, TB is probably his best bet, but it sure seems like he's out of there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.