Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

I'd be surprised if he does. He had a man crush on ROR as well, but that contract is very reasonable IMHO.

That was different.   ROR was traded to BUF with 1 year remaining on his deal, he wasn't a UFA like Stamkos where multiple teams will competing for his services, which will drive his price up and up and up..

That was different.   ROR was traded to BUF with 1 year remaining on his deal, he wasn't a UFA like Stamkos where multiple teams will competing for his services, which will drive his price up and up and up..

He might end up w/ him (& if he does, will almost definitely have paid more than I'd've wanted to see), but I would be shocked if he ends up w/ an $11MM/yr type overpayment from the Sabres.

IF Buffalo gets him my guess is $9-9.5/yr for 6 or 7 years which based on the # of suitors is probably the correct payment for him. (& is more than I would be willing to pay.) My gut feel is somebody gives him even more which would be crazy stupid money.

He might end up w/ him (& if he does, will almost definitely have paid more than I'd've wanted to see), but I would be shocked if he ends up w/ an $11MM/yr type overpayment from the Sabres.

IF Buffalo gets him my guess is $9-9.5/yr for 6 or 7 years which based on the # of suitors is probably the correct payment for him. (& is more than I would be willing to pay.) My gut feel is somebody gives him even more which would be crazy stupid money.

+10mil/yr isn't "crazy stupid" if he's scoring 40 genos on Eichel's wing.

Let me put it this way.... The Sabres will be a better team having Stamkos on the roster at $10mil/yr than they would having 2 lesser players at $5mil/yr.   

+10mil/yr isn't "crazy stupid" if he's scoring 40 genos on Eichel's wing.

Let me put it this way.... The Sabres will be a better team having Stamkos on the roster at $10mil/yr than they would having 2 lesser players at $5mil/yr.

OK. $10MM/yr according to you isn't an overpayment, but TM will overpay (again, according to you). So what, o lover of all things Matthews :p, will he get paid in Buffalo?

I doubt it. He won't hamstring future contracts by tying up that much money on a star with health concerns.

Agreed. Murray is too much of a real-world GM to not have a long-term plan. I would be willing to bet my Jeep he already knows what his initial RFA offers to Jack and Sam will be.

I don't think Stamkos comes here unless Stamkos wants to come here and make it work. No way Murray over pays for someone not willing to play ball - if Stamkos agreed (in writing) that he's willing to play wing and willing NOT to be captain, then Murray might stretch the budget a little to get him here, but, otherwise Murray has the balls to walk away.

Admit that you'd get excited when it happened. ADMIT IT.

Going to bed with a 10 and waking up with a 2 excited.  :lol:

If we got Stamkos for a reasonable price, $8-9m, and he plays wing, and he's okay with the A instead of the C, AND we were able to shore up our defense, I'd have to drag my knuckles in public all summer for fear of public indecency 

Going to bed with a 10 and waking up with a 2 excited. :lol:

If we got Stamkos for a reasonable price, $8-9m, and he plays wing, and he's okay with the A instead of the C, AND we were able to shore up our defense, I'd have to drag my knuckles in public all summer for fear of public indecency

It's all happening.

Except Stamkos is gonna be at 9.5

Dealbreaker?

On the question of which team around the league is the best fit for Stamkos if all else is equal - Nashville.

Maybe I missed it, but hey Hoss, where do you stand on this debate?

I'm a definite yes with little hesitation. I understand questions about where he fits and how we'll manage the money but it's something I'm confident Murray would have a plan for if it comes to it.

I think Stamkos gets between $10-11 million and that's fine. I would give that to him if the contract can be insured without issue. I just think he's too talented and signing a guy like that could also attract the available role players looking to hop on with a contender. If we were to add Stamkos and a top-four defender this offseason I would think this team is a playoff lock with realistic Eastern Conference Finals aspirations immediately.

On the question of which team around the league is the best fit for Stamkos if all else is equal - Nashville.

I'm a definite yes with little hesitation. I understand questions about where he fits and how we'll manage the money but it's something I'm confident Murray would have a plan for if it comes to it.

I think Stamkos gets between $10-11 million and that's fine. I would give that to him if the contract can be insured without issue. I just think he's too talented and signing a guy like that could also attract the available role players looking to hop on with a contender. If we were to add Stamkos and a top-four defender this offseason I would think this team is a playoff lock with realistic Eastern Conference Finals aspirations immediately.

Where do you put him in this lineup though? I feel like he has to play wing

Given the choice, Stamkos or top 4 defender, which do you target first?

Well, since you pushed it that far, would you do 9.5. And would you do 10? It'll probably take that much.

I'd probably take Stamkos at 10.5, but I'm not into the nitty gritty of the numbers like you, liger, and true.

I really, really don't want to do $10m. If we get our defense all set, and the aforementioned factors are settled with him, $10m for me wouldn't make me angry. Again, I don't think he's worth that, and down the road he's really going to show it. 

Alright. I'll file this away along with Drouin under "Lightning players that I want that WC doesn't that I'm totally right about"

Yeah, my filing system sucks

TBF I called out Drouin for him piggy-backing off of Stamkos. So maybe I'm wrong there, but right on Stamkos. Also, Drouin had one playoff run, let's see how he does next season. 

Edited by WildCard

TBF I called out Drouin for him piggy-backing off of Stamkos. So maybe I'm wrong there, but right on Stamkos. Also, Drouin had one playoff run, let's see how he does next season.

Drouin's always been an absolutely filthy hockey player who acclimated to the NHL at a normal rate instead of at the rate most top 3 picks develop. And he had an immature episode.

It's not going to stop him from scoring at least 70 points per season in this league.

Too lazy to track down the thread where I did it, but a few months back I crunched the numbers for which teams were actually reasonable suitors for Stamkos. They had to be a team with enough cap space, including pending commitments, and ownership willing to make that huge investment.

I think I came up with about six teams and the best fits were the Islanders, Leafs, Sabres and Habs.

Stars, Canucks and Calgary have the means to get in the bidding,mbut don't seem like good fits.

Other teams would have to dump significant cap to make a run.

I might be forgetting someone, but everyone else would be essentially trading for him.

Drouin's always been an absolutely filthy hockey player who acclimated to the NHL at a normal rate instead of at the rate most top 3 picks develop. And he had an immature episode.

It's not going to stop him from scoring at least 70 points per season in this league.

That would put him solidly in the 15-20 range in overall league scoring. Certainly possible, I'd say 60s is likely if not.

Well he had MacKinnon, then a loaded Lightning team, so I think questioning if he's the producer or beneficiary is justified. Plus, there's no way he's consistently putting up 70. That's up there with Tavares, Backstrome, and Ovechkin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.