2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

I can't be the only one that doesn't want Stamkos, right?

I'm probably in this camp.  The cap hit will end up being way too rich for my blood.  Wasn't the guy playing 3rd line minutes last playoffs?  I realize he's a good player but Jon Cooper comes across as a good coach to me and there was obviously something going on there during that playoff run.  He's obviously a good player but anything near the league max?  No thanks.

I wouldn't be worried about losing Kane or Reinhart if it meant we had Stamkos. He's a better player than the two will ever be combined, and I'm confident in saying so. But I also don't think it means we'll absolutely have to move either anytime soon. Sacrifices would obviously have to be made.

I would also bet it wouldn't be hard to sell Stamkos on the idea that signing with Buffalo would mean signing with a winner who would be able to attractive defensive pieces to set him and the rest of the team up for a good 7-8 years of winning.

if this was his highest priority, why wouldn't he just re-sign in Tampa?  

You are wasting time if you think there is even a chance Stamkos signs in Buffalo.

If he wants to win (and get paid huge) he stays in Tampa, if he just wants max contract he goes to Toronto. 

Plus, we already have our 2 centers for the next 7 - 10 years. 

if this was his highest priority, why wouldn't he just re-sign in Tampa?  

You are wasting time if you think there is even a chance Stamkos signs in Buffalo.

If he wants to win (and get paid huge) he stays in Tampa, if he just wants max contract he goes to Toronto. 

Plus, we already have our 2 centers for the next 7 - 10 years. 

Why wouldn't he just re-sign in Tampa? Maybe because he doesn't like it there. There's many reasons. And he knows that Tampa isn't the only team in the NHL capable of winning.

Based on everything we know there is absolutely a chance. A small one, probably, but there's a chance.

I think there is another move TM could consider.  Lot's of ifs, but depending on where and who they draft, they could take a run at MacKinnon or Reilly with tenders.  We will have stocked the shelves and be bringing in age compatible talent.  Plus MacKinnon and ROR are buds.  Again availabilty will be an issue.

I think there is another move TM could consider.  Lot's of ifs, but depending on where and who they draft, they could take a run at MacKinnon or Reilly with tenders.  We will have stocked the shelves and be bringing in age compatible talent.  Plus MacKinnon and ROR are buds.  Again availabilty will be an issue.

MacKinnon ... swooonnn.

:wub:

Yes. Yes. I know shrader, but he lives in Colorado at least part time now.

I'm in your camp. He pots a lot of goals but I think the financial burden of his upcoming contract will handcuff the franchise. We are trying to build a perennial contender like Chicago and LA. That takes a couple superstars (Eichel, ROR, Samson, Risto and perhaps this years draft pick) and a roster of above average mid-low cost talent (also known as over achievers). The Stamkos contract will make keeping Eichel, Sam, Risto and Laine (I hope) more difficult because all these guys are going to want to get paid. The Sabres also already tried buying talent and that lead to the tank years.

Is it me or does Stammer always looks stoned? I don't want Jack picking any bad habits.

I'm in your camp. He pots a lot of goals but I think the financial burden of his upcoming contract will handcuff the franchise. We are trying to build a perennial contender like Chicago and LA. That takes a couple superstars (Eichel, ROR, Samson, Risto and perhaps this years draft pick) and a roster of above average mid-low cost talent (also known as over achievers). The Stamkos contract will make keeping Eichel, Sam, Risto and Laine (I hope) more difficult because all these guys are going to want to get paid. The Sabres also already tried buying talent and that lead to the tank years.

Is it me or does Stammer always looks stoned? I don't want Jack picking any bad habits.

They're hockey players.  Of course they're stoned.  Duh.

I wouldn't be worried about losing Kane or Reinhart if it meant we had Stamkos. He's a better player than the two will ever be combined, and I'm confident in saying so. But I also don't think it means we'll absolutely have to move either anytime soon. Sacrifices would obviously have to be made.

I would also bet it wouldn't be hard to sell Stamkos on the idea that signing with Buffalo would mean signing with a winner who would be able to attractive defensive pieces to set him and the rest of the team up for a good 7-8 years of winning.

I wouldn't be confident in saying that at all. Sam was a highly touted prospect who is taking huge strides right before our eyes. Is Stamkos trending downwards? He certainly is this season.

Reinhart has 16 goals this year. Stamkos has 21. Reinhart is a rookie. I find this to be a very cool stat.

Why would any Sabre fan not want a top 5 league wide talent on the roster.

I don't think Stamkos will want to come here, but you never know for sure.  He will likely end up being offered the league max by Toronto, either that or want to stay in Tampa and try to finish what they are building towards ... almost made it last year.

If I am the Sabres and I want Stamkos I go real big for him ... 8 years 80 million and have him as the offensive cornerstone of the franchise, with ROR the future captain.

Stamkos isn't a top 5 league talent. At least not right now.

I can't say I don't want Stamkos. Not considering other variables, I would like to have him on my team. But what it will cost to get him, and what it may force us to give up? I don't want him for that price. He's going to be overpaid.

Edited by Thorny

Does Stamkos consistently score goals? Do any of our current players consistently score goals?

And the bonus question: does he want to be here?

Maybe it's the low self esteem (we can never have anything nice), but it's interesting how the lot of Sabre fans reflexively oppose the addition of goal scoring talent. It's a wonder there was any support for the tank. See also: #moveyerfeetjack

Maybe it's the low self esteem (we can never have anything nice), but it's interesting how the lot of Sabre fans reflexively oppose the addition of goal scoring talent. It's a wonder there was any support for the tank. See also: #moveyerfeetjack

I'm pretty sure anyone and everyone would love to have Stamkos on the Sabres. The question is do you want Stamkos at a max contract? Is he worth  $10/11 mill for 7 -8 years - thats where it becomes a debate.

I'm pretty sure anyone and everyone would love to have Stamkos on the Sabres. The question is do you want Stamkos at a max contract? Is he worth $10/11 mill for 7 -8 years - thats where it becomes a debate.

Correct. I also don't think it'd be a debate if he still looked like 50 goal Stamkos, but he doesn't. He's trending towards only 30 for the second straight year. Sure, we could really use a 30 goal scorer...just not at that price.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.