2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Many are hoping Eichel is are 1st line center next season, I just don't see it

Not sure if you got that from my post and not saying you did, but if you did, the lineup I posted was for in coming years, not next year. Just showing that I think we have most pieces. I agree with Taro's next-year lineup. ROR will be the 1C.

I don't think it matters. His and ROR's lines will play similar minutes.

Think I said this before, but if we sign Yandle I don't see him as a fit with risto.

Yandle is a defensive liability and would rather see bogo play a shut down role with him than having risto do that.

"Liability" is a big word for Yandle here. He's not a defensive liability. He's not a shutdown dman but he's definitely not a liability on the backend.

"Liability" is a big word for Yandle here. He's not a defensive liability. He's not a shutdown dman but he's definitely not a liability on the backend.

Still don't see the point of pairing him with Risto, don't want him in a more defensive role for Yandle.   There are better fits for Risto I think.   But would still love to have yandle but I would put him on a 2nd pairing.

Still don't see the point of pairing him with Risto, don't want him in a more defensive role for Yandle. There are better fits for Risto I think. But would still love to have yandle but I would put him on a 2nd pairing.

On a defensive pairing both players are allowed to play similar styles.

Great OP, Taro. I actually pretty much completely agree with how you see the roster shaking out for next season, so can't add much there.

What I will say, is that I think our team next year is getting pretty close to being our team of the future as well, with only a few pieces still missing. I think the main thing required is growth, and I think we could potentially already have (listed below) something close to our contending roster, with only the (xxx) needing to be filled:

xxx - Eichel - xxx

Kane - ROR - Reinhart

Foligno - Larsson - Girgensons

xxx - Ristolainen

McCabe - Pysyk

Lehner - Ullmark

(Didn't list 4th line or 3rd pair, as there are a multitude of options)

I really like the look of that second line. You could be looking at "best second line in the league" territory, in time. Third line would be a pain to play against. What we are missing is the top tier wingers for Eichel to play with. We could already have that RW in Fasching, holding out hope for him. (Could be Puljujarvi or Laine?)

On D, if Bogosian continues transitioning well to the left, I won't even rule out him being able to be that LD on the first pair. Acquiring a top LD, and allowing Bogosian to shift down to the 2nd or 3rd pair, would be ideal, though.

Not really worried about the goaltending. Still have faith in Lehner. We have enough promising prospects (namely, Ullmark), and I've witnessed the capacity of a career backup to be solid enough (Johnson).

So it basically comes down to us needing to acquire one, maybe two wingers, and potentially a top-4 LHD. Easier said than done, for sure, but I believe Murray will be able to do this whether by trade using accumulated assets, or through the draft, depending on where we pick this year.

Also, great post, Hoss. Really good stuff there.

You are referring to Reinhart potentially being that winger for us, not a trade involving him, correct? I think I read it wrong the first time and it scared me.

:lol: Yes you are correct. To me, he is one of 4 "untouchables" on this team. I'd expect him to be a RW for most likely 1-2 more seasons. While ROR is the best player on the team, he should be 1C. When Eichel is ready to supplant him, they should seriously consider having ROR on his wing w/ Reinhart as 2C. When Sam is better than ROR, he should most likely be the 2C.

I would always have those 3 on the top 2 lines - for at least the next 5 years, hopefully a few more than that. As long as ROR is C, I'd want Kane on his wing. For now, I'd have Girgs as Jack's LW. I'd like to see how/if he grows into that role, but would be fine w/ an upgrade if he doesn't thrive in that role. Girgs getting bumped to the 3rd line would not be a bad thing.

And that last RW would be Fasching, McGinn, or player TM steals from someone else.

If Eichel is the 1C next year, this team is in awesome shape. I'd expect we'll still be 1-2 years away from that, but like Hoss said, both lines will get comparable total minutes. Just ROR's line will get the tougher minutes.

No, but he dug himself a deep hole to come out of, can't see him bounce back this season any more even.

I'd rather still go with Gorges as my 6th d than being scared everytime a lw speeds by franson.   Can't really see fasching being ready for the NHL grind already next year.

Larsson will still be with us in his place for sure on the 3rd line.

The thing with Franson is he adds another pp option. If we get Yandle and/or Pysyk shows he can QB a pp, then there is no need for Franson at all, and I'd rather go with a faster option as you say

Not sure if you got that from my post and not saying you did, but if you did, the lineup I posted was for in coming years, not next year. Just showing that I think we have most pieces. I agree with Taro's next-year lineup. ROR will be the 1C.

You and Hoss had him at the 1C

You're probably right, Toews and Kane average the same minutes in Chicago.

If Eichel is the 1C next year, this team is in awesome shape. I'd expect we'll still be 1-2 years away from that, but like Hoss said, both lines will get comparable total minutes. Just ROR's line will get the tougher minutes.

This is what I was thinking as well, another 1-2 years until Eichel really starts showing he is the #1 guy. Until that point, Hoss is probably correct in that the minutes will be very similar for both lines

Puljujarvi on RW looks good too.

He's the guy I've set my heart on for drafting. As much as I'd love him to be in our pipeline, no doubt Eriksson puts this team much closer to playoff contention. His presence would solve so many of our problems

You and Hoss had him at the 1C

Doesn't mean anything. I don't "want" anything specific, just whoever is playing better between the two to be the top center. I had it both ways in my post and don't think the difference will be noticeable. The hope is that Eichel looks far and away the best player on this team within a year or two, though.

Doesn't mean anything. I don't "want" anything specific, just whoever is playing better between the two to be the top center. I had it both ways in my post and don't think the difference will be noticeable. The hope is that Eichel looks far and away the best player on this team within a year or two, though.

Fair enough, and I've posted that above. I'm curious though, when do you see Reinhart making the jump to 2nd line center? Is it predicated upon our winger situation or his development? Maybe a combination of both?

Fair enough, and I've posted that above. I'm curious though, when do you see Reinhart making the jump to 2nd line center? Is it predicated upon our winger situation or his development? Maybe a combination of both?

I don't see him doing so for a long time because I see no reason to move Eichel or O'Reilly off pivot. I could see him as the third line center if DB is willing to commit to three legitimate lines and Murray can provide the talent (and/or Bailey/Fasching/Baptiste turn into studs).

I don't see him doing so for a long time because I see no reason to move Eichel or O'Reilly off pivot. I could see him as the third line center if DB is willing to commit to three legitimate lines and Murray can provide the talent (and/or Bailey/Fasching/Baptiste turn into studs).

That's both disappointing and good at the same time. I really hate giving 3 lines equal ice time; there's no way we can legitimately field a top 9 of all equal skill like that. Let me ask you this then, are you worried about the possibility of adding a Matthews into the center mix?

That's both disappointing and good at the same time. I really hate giving 3 lines equal ice time; there's no way we can legitimately field a top 9 of all equal skill like that. Let me ask you this then, are you worried about the possibility of adding a Matthews into the center mix?

Nobody said anything about equal ice time. You can run three lines but still with varying ice time. They don't have to have equal skill set...

And no, I would never be worried about adding a prospect of Matthews caliber. I am still hoping we win the lottery.

Nobody said anything about equal ice time. You can run three lines but still with varying ice time. They don't have to have equal skill set...

And no, I would never be worried about adding a prospect of Matthews caliber. I am still hoping we win the lottery.

Three equal lines without equal ice times isn't really three equal lines then, is it? Someone is getting screwed out of ice time

I've been wondering, do you not visit the GDT's because you're in tank mode?

Three equal lines without equal ice times isn't really three equal lines then, is it? Someone is getting screwed out of ice time

I've been wondering, do you not visit the GDT's because you're in tank mode?

I said "legitimate lines," not equal lines.

And no, I'm not in tank mode. Not close to it, either. I don't engage in GDTs lately mainly because I'm working during most games so my attention is elsewhere.

Great posts in here!!!! If they can swing Boedker, I don't think they can afford Yandle. Goligoski will be cheaper. Pluses are we will be both younger, bigger and faster. I've been so impressed with the Bogosian-Risto pairing, I want them to stay together. I also want McCabe and Pysyk to play together again also.

My dream team

1a Kane-ROR-Reinhart

1b Boedker-Eichel-DraftChoice (1 of the Finns hopefully)

3  Girgs-Larrson-Fasching

4  Foligno-Schaller-Gionta

Bogo-Risto

Goligoski-(Whoever we can coup from the inevitable Ennis-Weber-Johnson-Franson trades coming up)

McCabe-Pysyk

Lehner

Ullmark

Sorry, that's realistic.

The top six around this point last season:

Moulson - Ennis - Girgensons

Stewart - Hodgson - Stafford

Flynn - Mitchell - Gionta

Beginning of this year:

Moulson - O'Reilly - Ennis

Kane - Eichel - Gionta

McGinn - Larsson - Reinhart

I mocked up last year from the January 27th game based on TOI, so it's not 100% accurate but it was some iteration of that group...

Edited by Hoss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.