2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Lets be fair here, no one has been able to keep up with eichel.

Not, kane, zemgus, the one coming closest is Reinhart (his hockey IQ will fit anyone)  , well McGinn (good murray didn't fall for this one and overpay) a bit to.

If we want someone to play with eichel, he will be in the draft, traded for or an UFA.

Really nice article, thanks Brawndo. My takeaways;

- The Avs are letting Duchene or Landeskog go if they don't make the playoffs?? Go Wild

- Skinner's 5 - 5 scoring rate is in par with Malkin?Hot damn

- Similary, Hall is a God

Man, could imagine getting Duchene or Landeskog? I wonder what the price would be

Edited by WildCard

I vote for Stamkos.

yeah, Landeskog and drouin though.

Really nice article, thanks Brawndo. My takeaways;

- The Avs are letting Duchene or Landeskog go if they don't make the playoffs?? Go Wild

- Skinner has the leagues best 5 - 5 scoring rate with Malkin in (forgot timespan)? Hot damn

- Similary, Hall is a God

Man, could imagine getting Duchene or Landeskog? I wonder what the price would be

Zemgus for drouin

our 1st for landeskog.

I am 100% in on Stamkos and Fowler.

We all know the Sabres are going to end up with #7-#8 or thereabouts. So moving down a dozen or so slots gets them Fowler? I can definitely see GMTM doing that.

Arizona isn't trading OEL under any circumstances.

I don't think Yandle is a GMTM kinda player.

You get the first pick and the Yotes are in the top 5, trade it for OEL and their pick?

Absolutely, but only for OEL.  If the Coyotes offered up anyone else, no.

The hardest position to fill on any roster is first line centre ... we have arguably 3 on the team now, well 1 now and 1, or 2, will likely develop into it.

The second hardest position to fill is 1st pairing Dman, especially top tier.  We have what appears to be 1 in Risto, would OEL look outstanding paired with him.

Article on possible future line mates for Eichel.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22538824.php?contentType=4&contentId=18538800

Nice.

While I am on board the Stamkos to Buffalo train, I don't think it's very realistic.

So, a more reasonable approach would be to pursue Drouin.  He is magical with the puck and is an assist machine ... remember I watched him with the Mooseheads for 2+ years ...  :flirt: .  He would put up Oates like assist numbers if paired with Girgs and Eichel.  Eichel would net in the 50 goal range.  Of course, this will be dependent on having a coach willing to let them fly.

Failing that, Hall.  The others, not sure what to make of them, except Nash ... I wouldn't touch him now, although I admit that I did in the not to distant past, with a 39 and a half foot pole.

Of the players on the list I would prefer Stamkos, Schwartz or Hoffman. I don't think many of them are realistic, though.

Steve Stamkos: realistic that he could come here, but I don't know how realistic it is that he would come here to play wing. I expect him to leave Tampa.

Jon Drouin: realistic. It'd be a risk to commit to him as Eichel's winger going into next season considering how little we know about him as a professional. This may push back the playoff expectations depending on other moves.

Jaden Schwartz: one of the league's most underrated players. I have admired him on the ice since he was a prospect in the Blues system. He and Landeskog are very close, in my opinion. I prefer Schwartz due to picks being the only real cost.

Rick Nash: Meh. His window is small. He had a great year last year but has been disappointing and hurt this year.

Patrick Marleau: Even smaller window than Nash. The cost could be much cheaper, but I don't think he's likely to want to play in Buffalo when he could join a known contender.

Taylor Hall: no chance we have the pieces to pull this off unless we're willing to include Risto. Including Risto creates a huge hole when we've got other options that wouldn't cost Risto.

Gabriel Landeskog: he's unbelievably cheap as far as the cap hit goes, but I don't know what else we can give outside of defense. If our top pick plus one of McCabe/Pysyk and a prospect can get it done then do it yesterday.

Jeff Skinner: he's probably the cheapest commodity on the list. He's a capable finisher when healthy, and I wouldn't be upset. We'd want a defensive winger on the other side, though, because Skinner is a disaster in his own end.

Mike Hoffman: this would be an unexpected name on the market but he'd be a great addition. It's not like he has played with elite linemates, either. I think Jack would be the best linemate he's had. Make him change his number, though.

Of the players on the list I would prefer Stamkos, Schwartz or Hoffman. I don't think many of them are realistic, though.

Steve Stamkos: realistic that he could come here, but I don't know how realistic it is that he would come here to play wing. I expect him to leave Tampa.

Jon Drouin: realistic. It'd be a risk to commit to him as Eichel's winger going into next season considering how little we know about him as a professional. This may push back the playoff expectations depending on other moves.

Jaden Schwartz: one of the league's most underrated players. I have admired him on the ice since he was a prospect in the Blues system. He and Landeskog are very close, in my opinion. I prefer Schwartz due to picks being the only real cost.

Rick Nash: Meh. His window is small. He had a great year last year but has been disappointing and hurt this year.

Patrick Marleau: Even smaller window than Nash. The cost could be much cheaper, but I don't think he's likely to want to play in Buffalo when he could join a known contender.

Taylor Hall: no chance we have the pieces to pull this off unless we're willing to include Risto. Including Risto creates a huge hole when we've got other options that wouldn't cost Risto.

Gabriel Landeskog: he's unbelievably cheap as far as the cap hit goes, but I don't know what else we can give outside of defense. If our top pick plus one of McCabe/Pysyk and a prospect can get it done then do it yesterday.

Jeff Skinner: he's probably the cheapest commodity on the list. He's a capable finisher when healthy, and I wouldn't be upset. We'd want a defensive winger on the other side, though, because Skinner is a disaster in his own end.

Mike Hoffman: this would be an unexpected name on the market but he'd be a great addition. It's not like he has played with elite linemates, either. I think Jack would be the best linemate he's had. Make him change his number, though.

Have to give you credit, you were the first person I ever heard mention Hoffman before he cracked the big club. He has really turned into a nice player and I think he could be an interesting get without costing a fortune. That said, I would like to see Schwartz assumimg Stamkos isn't interested in playing woing for $10 million per and Landeskog and Hall would cost Risto.

Have to give you credit, you were the first person I ever heard mention Hoffman before he cracked the big club. He has really turned into a nice player and I think he could be an interesting get without costing a fortune. That said, I would like to see Schwartz assumimg Stamkos isn't interested in playing woing for $10 million per and Landeskog and Hall would cost Risto.

Thanks! Hoffman and Schwartz are two of the prospects I was a huge fan of well before they hit their big clubs. 

Between Schwartz and Hoffman it's super tight but I think I would prefer Schwartz slightly.

dTol4qO.png

No Duchene, Hoss?

I did it purely based on the article's suggestions, but if he's an option I would have similar feelings about him and Landeskog. Between the two I think I prefer Gabe as a player because he's a much better defensive player... But if we want somebody who will definitely finish on Eichel's passes give me Duchene.

I did it purely based on the article's suggestions, but if he's an option I would have similar feelings about him and Landeskog. Between the two I think I prefer Gabe as a player because he's a much better defensive player... But if we want somebody who will definitely finish on Eichel's passes give me Duchene.

Wow, never realized how terrible Duchene is defensively, at least compared to his captain.

That's a really nice website you found there, thanks for that.

Damn, Jagr is on Bergeron's level. That's insane

Edited by WildCard

Am I the only one mostly interested in buy low or second tier forwards this offseason? I think the forward group is the place where we can most afford to be patient--we have our core three in ROR, Eichel, and Reinhart...and I think a healthy production increase from nothing other than experience/maturity is a completely reasonable expectation from Eichel and Reinhart. We're almost certain to end up with three 20 goal forwards (would likely be 4 if ROR didn't get hurt) in Eichel, Reinhart, and Kane. Teams like Chicago and Dallas are likely to only end up with four 20 goal scorers a piece; sure they each have 1 (Kane) -2 (Benn/Seguin) 30 goal players, but I feel pretty comfortable penciling Eichel in there next season. Other contenders like LA might only have 2-3 guys over 20 and maybe Toffoli hits 30; Boston has the 3rd best offense in the league and has 3 guys looking to hit 20+ on the year (would be 4 if Krejci didn't miss time). I could go on. But my point is the top end of our offense looks very similar to that of solid payoff teams to Cup favorites, so while the big splashy stuff is always fun to talk about, I think spending a ton on the forward ranks (be it in salary or in assets) is more luxury than necessity.

Am I the only one mostly interested in buy low or second tier forwards this offseason? I think the forward group is the place where we can most afford to be patient--we have our core three in ROR, Eichel, and Reinhart...and I think a healthy production increase from nothing other than experience/maturity is a completely reasonable expectation from Eichel and Reinhart. We're almost certain to end up with three 20 goal forwards (would likely be 4 if ROR didn't get hurt) in Eichel, Reinhart, and Kane. Teams like Chicago and Dallas are likely to only end up with four 20 goal scorers a piece; sure they each have 1 (Kane) -2 (Benn/Seguin) 30 goal players, but I feel pretty comfortable penciling Eichel in there next season. Other contenders like LA might only have 2-3 guys over 20 and maybe Toffoli hits 30; Boston has the 3rd best offense in the league and has 3 guys looking to hit 20+ on the year (would be 4 if Krejci didn't miss time). I could go on. But my point is the top end of our offense looks very similar to that of solid payoff teams to Cup favorites, so while the big splashy stuff is always fun to talk about, I think spending a ton on the forward ranks (be it in salary or in assets) is more luxury than necessity.

I go back and forth on this but I feel that in the end, they may still be searching for that 4th forward. This year has been a disappointment for Zemgus and Tyler and I'm still not sure you want Kane as your 4th core forward. He is defintely a guy that you want on your team but I fear that he may be one of those guys who wont settle in as your number four forward and might thus outprice himself. With Jack and Sam being on entry level deals and Kane having two years left on his you have a rare chance to overload the forward ranks and then let things settle out themselves in two years.

In the end, I'm comfortable with the third line being what it is, hope to improve the fourth center position and hope that Fasching starts his career on the fourth line before developing into a top guy and if you add a stud upfront you end up with one forward position for whoever his left between Ennis, Zemgus, Bailey and Moulson.

I'm not sure I explained myself very well, but that is where I see things right now.

I've been of the feeling that the weakest part of our roster RIGHT NOW is offensive forwards.

And the obvious solution is improvement from Sam and Jack, who aren't elite, but should be.

But I don't think adding a Lee stempniak or a Jamie McGinn is going to push us over the top now and it is a mistake to add them at Drew Stafford prices.

They are the types of guys we add three years from now to replace Kane when we can't afford him any more.

I agree with Webster. We have a window to add an elite guy. I say get one of those instead of two cheaper players.

I'd like a situation where Eichel doesn't have to carry his line. That's why I want forwards so bad. We've seen how ugly this can get when one of our top 6 goes out, let alone 2-3. Maybe we don't go blockbuster and get a top 3 guy and instead go after a reasonable 2nd line player, hope Ennis returns to normal, and Bailey/Fashing provide some offensive depth while down in Rochester. I wouldn't mind that, but IMO we need at least legitimate, defensively minded 2nd line winger until those guys develop; one to throw on Eichel's wing. That's why I want Eriksson so badly. Or, as Hoss points out, Shwartz. Hopefully Eriksson doesn't want the term he reportedly does (I doubt it), and Shwartz can stay healthy

In terms of defensemen, I'm curious to your suggestions. I really don't think we land Yandle, who else is out there? Pry Fowler out? For what? McGinn may resign there, and Perron has fit in nicely. Not sure we have any other heavy forwards for their style outside of Foligno and Zemgus, and I'm not sure those get you Fowler. We could aim at the Blues, and Ennis can fit there with his low cap hit, but again I'm not sure they want him.

Edited by WildCard

I go back and forth on this but I feel that in the end, they may still be searching for that 4th forward. This year has been a disappointment for Zemgus and Tyler and I'm still not sure you want Kane as your 4th core forward. He is defintely a guy that you want on your team but I fear that he may be one of those guys who wont settle in as your number four forward and might thus outprice himself. With Jack and Sam being on entry level deals and Kane having two years left on his you have a rare chance to overload the forward ranks and then let things settle out themselves in two years.

In the end, I'm comfortable with the third line being what it is, hope to improve the fourth center position and hope that Fasching starts his career on the fourth line before developing into a top guy and if you add a stud upfront you end up with one forward position for whoever his left between Ennis, Zemgus, Bailey and Moulson.

I'm not sure I explained myself very well, but that is where I see things right now.

Maybe we don't have the 4th core forward yet, but I think we'd all agree we have 3 of them in place. What about on defense? I see Risto as the only guy locked in as core. Even if I throw the Bogo crew a bone and include him, I think it really comes down to this: Do you have more confidence in Kane/Ennis/Zemgus/Fasching to become the 4th core forward or McCabe/Pysyk/??? to become core pieces 2-3 on the blue line? Whichever you're least confident in, that's where I think the major assets should be spent. I'm least confident in the blue line filling the needed roles.

I've been of the feeling that the weakest part of our roster RIGHT NOW is offensive forwards.

And the obvious solution is improvement from Sam and Jack, who aren't elite, but should be.

But I don't think adding a Lee stempniak or a Jamie McGinn is going to push us over the top now and it is a mistake to add them at Drew Stafford prices.

They are the types of guys we add three years from now to replace Kane when we can't afford him any more.

I agree with Webster. We have a window to add an elite guy. I say get one of those instead of two cheaper players.

If that is your assessment, I don't think we're going to find any common ground here. 

Also, I am renting out the room I had reserved for you in the Bogo Bunker. I was hoping I could get you to come around, but that doesn't appear to be the case :P

I'd like a situation where Eichel doesn't have to carry his line. That's why I want forwards so bad. We've seen how ugly this can get when one of our top 6 goes out, let alone 2-3. Maybe we don't go blockbuster and get a top 3 guy and instead go after a reasonable 2nd line player, hope Ennis returns to normal, and Bailey/Fashing provide some offensive depth while down in Rochester. I wouldn't mind that, but IMO we need at least legitimate, defensively minded 2nd line winger until those guys develop; one to throw on Eichel's wing. That's why I want Eriksson so badly. Or, as Hoss points out, Shwartz. Hopefully Eriksson doesn't want the term he reportedly does (I doubt it), and Shwartz can stay healthy

In terms of defensemen, I'm curious to your suggestions. I really don't think we land Yandle, who else is out there? Pry Fowler out? For what? McGinn may resign there, and Perron has fit in nicely. Not sure we have any other heavy forwards for their style outside of Foligno and Zemgus, and I'm not sure those get you Fowler. We could aim at the Blues, and Ennis can fit there with his low cap hit, but again I'm not sure they want him.

While I'm not happy Eichel had to carry his line as a rookie, and I'd ultimately prefer him not to have to...his ability to do so is at least part of the reason you want him on your roster. Save cap room on his linemates by going more of a value route and distribute that money elsewhere, be it on the blue line or depth up front, without undercutting his production. I view Eichel as the type of player who will "get his" regardless of who he's playing with, and he'll elevate his linemates above their ability. You want good players there, of course, but I'm not super interested in bank-breaking (again, cap space or assets here).

If we exclude Anaheim (although I really think one of them not named Lindolm is going to go, and we could put together a package to get it done) and Yandle, I think someone like Goligoski is a nice mid-tier option for the 2nd pair. He's not going to blow anyone away with a particular skill, but he's a quality puck mover and sound defensively, and likely to come in a tier or half tier cheaper than Yandle. Torey Krug is another guy I'd like to target--might be tough to pry him away due to division and his RFA status, but Boston is tight up against the cap and maybe he pops loose. Another team I'd look to is Minnesota. They're hard against the cap and have Dumba as an RFA...any chance we can nab Scandella? Was the Brodin chatter around the deadline real? Lastly, how severe is Calgary's buyers' remorse with Hamilton? I wonder. I'd call.

Now, all of those guys are relatively long-term options (4-5 years), and that's my preference, but I'm also not opposed to a shorter term solution and hope something pops free a couple years down the road or our young players emerge as true top-4 in that time frame. While I still expect him to stay in Florida, what if Brian Campbell were amenable to coming back? I'd love him for two years next to Risto. If Winnipeg is looking at a bit of an overhaul, could someone like Enstrom be had in order to free up cash to extend Trouba long term? Someone like Kyle Quincey as a UFA is another short-term option who would probably be fairly inexpensive. I don't love Dan Hamhuis, but he's another 2-year type that could help while our young guys develop more. And I still think Wiercioch is a smart roll of the dice type for a mid-round pick, same with Brendan Smith if he really is on the market and Detroit needs the cap space (lookin' at you, Petr Mrazek).

Lastly, I am going to continue to fantasize about Barrie and Shattenkirk until their respective teams tell me I can't in the form of new contracts. No, I don't care that they're right handed shots, nor do I think there's any real chance they move. But again, fantasizing.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I'm assuming that Risto is our 1 and that either Pysyk, McCabe or one of the propects will become our number three. I also always assumed that the shopping list was one top tier forward and one top tier LHD to pair with Risto.

I've said it before, ultimately you want to end up with 4 top forwards, a couple of forwards comfortable playing complimentary roles, 3 defenseman and a solid goalie. Adding more talent and picks only increase the odds of finding them on your roster. Once they are on your roster, its up to the front office to know which players are the core and which become the fillers.

Edited by tom webster

I'm assuming that Risto is our 1 and that either Pysyk, McCabe or one of the propects will become our number three. I also always assumed that the shopping list was one top tier forward and one top tier LHD to pair with Risto.

I suppose I could simplify my position by saying I think we have three certainties among the forward group, and one certainty among the defense corps. Hence, my desire to heavily target the blue line. Obviously, my assessment may not match Murray's.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.