2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

I think a center has to go, no matter what. The winger is where I hesitate, but that all depends on what they get for RNH. Do they get some bottom 6 talents and a top d-man? If they can't fill the top pairing d-man with RNH and/or Yak, then one of those wingers is getting moved IMO

I think they'd be repeating mistakes of yore if they bank on Draisaitl; RNH is their only center with a smidgen of a defensive game. Going forward we know McDavid is going to be a giant vacuum for offensive opportunity, meaning the other top-6 center should bring a more balanced game. That guy is RNH, not Draisaitl. Also keep in mind McLellan had the center "problem" in SJ, and solved it by moving Marleau to wing and had the three headed monster of Thornton, Pavelski, and Couture down the middle. If they're smart, they replicate that--either move Draisaitl to wing, or have a terrific 3 center lineup.

Then again, if Eberle can't get them the defensive help they need on the market, RNH could make sense to move. I can't see Hall moving unless a Doughty-caliber defenseman is coming back in the deal; they're not moving him for just a run of the mill top pairing guy.

I think they'd be repeating mistakes of yore if they bank on Draisaitl; RNH is their only center with a smidgen of a defensive game. Going forward we know McDavid is going to be a giant vacuum for offensive opportunity, meaning the other top-6 center should bring a more balanced game. That guy is RNH, not Draisaitl. Also keep in mind McLellan had the center "problem" in SJ, and solved it by moving Marleau to wing and had the three headed monster of Thornton, Pavelski, and Couture down the middle. If they're smart, they replicate that--either move Draisaitl to wing, or have a terrific 3 center lineup.

Then again, if Eberle can't get them the defensive help they need on the market, RNH could make sense to move. I can't see Hall moving unless a Doughty-caliber defenseman is coming back in the deal; they're not moving him for just a run of the mill top pairing guy.

I'd take RNH > Draisaitl every day of the week and twice on Sunday. RNH is a very good 2-way center and a possession forward, so is Hall. Which is why I want either so badly.

If Edmonton trades Hall, and I don't think they will, they will aim to improve defense, and could probably get a d-man that is what we hope Risto will become. It just won't happen for us without one of the core 4, WC, and they'd want Risto+.

And this is what sucks for us. You're both right, Hall/RNH will cost a Risto, and that I won't do. Still, this is the biggest fire-sale of top, young talent I've ever seen, and it looks like we can't even come play

If Edmonton trades Hall, and I don't think they will, they will aim to improve defense, and could probably get a d-man that is what we hope Risto will become. It just won't happen for us without one of the core 4, WC, and they'd want Risto+.

I would trade Risto for Hall in a heartbeat, but Edmonton wouldn't.

He's a 1-way player, is 26 and has never even hit 20 goals. We have this player, but a better version, in Ennis

Ennis is smaller, so what? He puts up way better numbers, and unlike Boedker's injury riddled career, Ennis only has this year to point to

Ummmm, you made the Ennis comparison, I just pointed out he's not Ennis.

Well, at least this thread has renewed our appreciation of Ennis.

Like the Okposo idea best - Erickson is too old and Boedker is not gritty enough for what our top six really needs.

Love to pick up Hall. Don't see the ammunition.

Much rather have Stamkos than McGinn and one of Okposo/Eriksson/Boedker

Edited by dudacek

Well, at least this thread has renewed our appreciation of Ennis.

Like the Okposo idea best - Erickson is too old and Boedker is not gritty enough for what our top six really needs.

Love to pick up Hall. Don't see the ammunition.

Much rather have Stamkos than McGinn and one of Okposo/Eriksson/Boedker

I'd rather fix the blue line than any of the above. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Can you find a sucker for Moulson and Gionta? And maybe Gorges?

If so, maybe. But even then it probably depends how many Dmen you think we need. Personally I think we need two top-4 LHD. Find it hard to believe we can do that and add a forward, let alone Stamkos.

You talking from a salary cap standpoint or being able to accomplish it all in one off season? From a salary cap point of view, I think you can do it especially if you get a top 5 pick and fill one of those spots with an entry level deal. 

I would agree the two LHD would be great but if you can find one true top pairing guy you could be alright if McCabe develops. I don't worry two or three years down the road. As long as you  sign people to good value deals and avoid the Moulson kind of deals, you can work the rest out.

You talking from a salary cap standpoint or being able to accomplish it all in one off season? From a salary cap point of view, I think you can do it especially if you get a top 5 pick and fill one of those spots with an entry level deal.

I would agree the two LHD would be great but if you can find one true top pairing guy you could be alright if McCabe develops. I don't worry two or three years down the road. As long as you sign people to good value deals and avoid the Moulson kind of deals, you can work the rest out.

I'm specifically talking being able to do it all this offseason :)

Do we think Eriksson goes the Moulson path and just disappears, or he goes the Hossa path and turns into the ageless wonder?

That's the question, Jimmy.

The good news is he plays a complete game, so even if his offense starts to go, he's still useful (though overpaid). The bad news is his offense already took a step down from his Dallas heyday, so I'm not sure he's on the Hossa path.

That's the question, Jimmy.

The good news is he plays a complete game, so even if his offense starts to go, he's still useful (though overpaid). The bad news is his offense already took a step down from his Dallas heyday, so I'm not sure he's on the Hossa path.

Well it's not as if Hossa is putting up the same numbers as he did with Atlanta. The offensive decline will come no matter what, the question is how severe it is. Eriksson has still been putting up good numbers in Boston last I looked

Can you find a sucker for Moulson and Gionta? And maybe Gorges?

If so, maybe. But even then it probably depends how many Dmen you think we need. Personally I think we need two top-4 LHD. Find it hard to believe we can do that and add a forward, let alone Stamkos.

I'm fine with Gorges and McCabe is our 2nd and 3rd LD. josh is a decent two now, McCabe should be better.

His name is Eriksson ;)

What is it you like so much about him?

At his best he's Pommer and I wouldn't be surprised if he fell off a similar cliff.

Don't really see him contributing to a cup.

Well it's not as if Hossa is putting up the same numbers as he did with Atlanta. The offensive decline will come no matter what, the question is how severe it is. Eriksson has still been putting up good numbers in Boston last I looked

Well, he's already at now, at age 31, what Hossa has declined to in his late 30s. I think he's fine for the front end of whatever contract he gets, but the back half could be quite ugly if he drops to the 30s.

Well, he's already at now, at age 31, what Hossa has declined to in his late 30s. I think he's fine for the front end of whatever contract he gets, but the back half could be quite ugly if he drops to the 30s.

I wonder how much of that is attributable to the overall drop in scoring over the last 5-7 years?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.