Tkachuk ROR Reinhart

Kane Larsson Foligno

Deslaurier Schaller McGinn

Gionta Moulson

Fowler Ristolainen

McCabe/Guhle Bogosian

Gorges/McCabe Pysyk

Franson

Neither of the bolded will be NHL ready next season. Laine, Matthews, and Poolparty are the only three likely to make the jump

It would be interesting to know who is furthest ahead in their development between Fasching, Bailey and Baptiste.

Personally I think Bailey has the highest upside long-term but I could see Baptiste, who is well regarded for his defensive side, being ready to play in NHL (3rd line) the soonest.

Im hoping the Sabres can sign Fasching as soon as his NCAA season is over and get him playing pro hockey this year.

Neither of the bolded will be NHL ready next season. Laine, Matthews, and Poolparty are the only three likely to make the jump

completely agree and no way Kane is a 3rd line winger nor would he be behind Fasching or Tkachuk on the depth chart.

Agreed^

I think Rob Ray said it last night, Kane needs to take a deep breath before he just rips one ten feet wide.  The guy also hits an ungodly amount of posts.  The shots are bound to fall sooner or later right?

I haven't had a chance to follow much of Bailey Baptiste and Fasching.  Are they really NHL ready next year? and top 6 ready? I find that hard to believe.

One question I have:

Are the ROR-Reinhart and Girgs-Eichel combos here to stay?

I just like Kane with Foligno, those two could create some havoc with Larsson. Also, I know it's a bit of a stretch projecting Tkachuk and Fasching into top 6 right away but it happens every year. Duclair and Domi weren't expected to play in the NHL yet but look at them. All I know is that if th e Sabres enter into next year with the same top 6-9 then we can expect the same results.

I just like Kane with Foligno, those two could create some havoc with Larsson. Also, I know it's a bit of a stretch projecting Tkachuk and Fasching into top 6 right away but it happens every year. Duclair and Domi weren't expected to play in the NHL yet but look at them. All I know is that if th e Sabres enter into next year with the same top 6-9 then we can expect the same results.

Top 6 isn't the problem.   I look at guys like Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Hurley, Karabacek, etc... someday as potential 3rd liners who can contribute offensively.   Guys like Foligno and Larsson belong the 4th line if at all in the NHL. 

Top 6 isn't the problem. I look at guys like Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Hurley, Karabacek, etc... someday as potential 3rd liners who can contribute offensively. Guys like Foligno and Larsson belong the 4th line if at all in the NHL.

Those statements contradict one another

Our top 6 is a huge problem, we only have 3 of them, maybe 4

Duclair and Domi each spent 2 years after they were drafted in the CHL and were 20 years old before their rookie seasons started. Maybe Tkachuk could play in the NHL next year but its a lot to ask of a 18 year old (not named Eichel) to make that jump.

Top 6 isn't the problem.   I look at guys like Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Hurley, Karabacek, etc... someday as potential 3rd liners who can contribute offensively.   Guys like Foligno and Larsson belong the 4th line if at all in the NHL.

Foligno has played well lately, if he can stay consistent he can be a true power forward and can be deployed in a shut down role. Heck he's been here a while but he's still young. Larsson Deslauriers and Foligno would be a great 4th line but I see a spot for Schaller there starting next year so what to do with Larsson?

If he wants this team to be good, he'll need to.

Pretty much

Duclair and Domi each spent 2 years after they were drafted in the CHL and were 20 years old before their rookie seasons started. Maybe Tkachuk could play in the NHL next year but its a lot to ask of a 18 year old (not named Eichel) to make that jump.

You know more than I do about the young kids, Tkachuk was just a sexy name for my lineup. I'd love a crack at him, Matthews,Puljujarvi or Laine to be honest. Any of em would add instant value IMO

O'Reilly, Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, Ennis, Girgensons

who doesn't belong?

The first 4 belong, with Kane being the maybe. I still think he is a top 6 player, but he's injured frequently, and fairly stupid, so we'll see.

Edited by WildCard

• 2 weeks later...

Let's say fortune smiles and we nab both Yandle and Boedker in UFA, and some get their wish and we keep McGinn, and we draft a Fin. Let's also say that Bylsma is willing to shift Reinhart to center full-time, while wanting to keep his 3rd line as the defensive line.

O'Reilly-Eichel-

Boedker-Reinhart-

Kane-Larsson-Gionta (I do love what this line has done this season)

Nobody Cares except for complaining about Moulson wasting cap space

Yandle-Ristolainen

McCabe-Pysyk

Gorges-Bogosian (I don't think they'd both be down here, but I hate Bogosian and refuse to slot him above Pysyk on principle)

For the forwards we have two RW spots to divide up between Ennis, Girgensons, McGinn, and the Fin. Let's say the Fin stays in Europe, we still have two spots for three players. My first instinct is to put Girgensons with Reinhart and Boedker because that line could use some board work, and Ennis up top, but that really leaves McGinn as the odd man out. Under this scenario, I think a trade is borderline necessary to maximize the roster--either to bolster the D or to get a better fit among the forwards, with Ennis the obvious trade bait. But what if a beneficial trade isn't there to be had? My preferred option at that point would be to shift Gionta to the 4th line, and even though I don't think Bylsma would do such a thing to his captain, I like the way the lines look with that move:

O'Reilly-Eichel-Ennis

Boedker-Reinhart-McGinn

Kane-Larsson-Girgensons

Deslauriers-XXX-Gionta

That's a forward group I feel pretty good about.

Great write-up, True. I'll respond in more detail when I focus on this homework and finish it, but a quick glance and I'd much rather switch Girgensons and McGinn. Actually, in order on RW with those lines, I'd like Girgs, Ennis, and McGinn

If we had a different coach, I'd agree re: McGinn. I just don't think he has the defensive chops to play the 3rd line the way Bylsma uses his 3rd line.

I've been thinking about this a bit, mostly based on the lack of chemistry in Disco Dan's combos.

I think our personnel is screaming for three balanced lines, mostly because Ennis, Kane and Eichel all need to be the guy carrying the puck.

What about stable pairs of:

O'Reilly/Eichel

Kane/Reinhart

Ennis/Girgensons

Then add Laine and Boedker to go with one of Larsson, Gionta, Foligno, Fasching and Moulson

Mix and match the leftovers with Schaller and Delauriers?

Or what about this?

Girgensons Stamkos Ennis

O'Reilly Eichel Laine

Kane Reinhart Fasching/Gionta

Deslauriers Larsson Foligno

Hasn't been enough chatter on here about Stamkos, IMO.

We know Murray has asked about him, is tight with Newport Sports, and isn't scared of bold moves

The Sabres have the cap space, a growing rep as an organization that treats players right, and some talented youngsters to play with.

If Stamkos wants to play close to home, we qualify.

And we've come full circle to why I'm not super enthusiastic about keeping McGinn.

No , as soon as I posted that, I knew I shot myself in the foot  :lol:

He's a 3rd liner on this team for what we have, and unless he has a short term, the $4+m he'll get we'll be detrimental to the other contracts we need to shell out soon enough 

Or what about this?

Girgensons Stamkos Ennis

O'Reilly Eichel Laine

Kane Reinhart Fasching/Gionta

Deslauriers Larsson Foligno

Hasn't been enough chatter on here about Stamkos, IMO.

We know Murray has asked about him, is tight with Newport Sports, and isn't scared of bold moves

The Sabres have the cap space, a growing rep as an organization that treats players right, and some talented youngsters to play with.

If Stamkos wants to play close to home, we qualify.

I want 100% nothing to do with Stamkos. Everything from production, to money, to his large presence in the locker room. He's just not a fit here, IMO

I've been thinking about this a bit, mostly based on the lack of chemistry in Disco Dan's combos.

I think our personnel is screaming for three balanced lines, mostly because Ennis, Kane and Eichel all need to be the guy carrying the puck.

What about stable pairs of:

O'Reilly/Eichel

Kane/Reinhart

Ennis/Girgensons

Then add Laine and Boedker to go with one of Larsson, Gionta, Foligno, Fasching and Moulson

Mix and match the leftovers with Schaller and Delauriers?

I like where you're going conceptually, and it's something I'd be in favor of. Just don't think it's happening with Bylsma, since it didn't happen when he was in Pittsburgh and he's shown no signs of favoring that approach here. Two other things.

1) I never, ever, want to see Larsson on the wing again. On your proposed 3rd pair, he'd have to center with Girgensons on the wing.

2) Not only do I think Kane has to be the primary puck handler on his line, I think he has to be the top offensive force. Maybe I'll dig them up tomorrow to give specifics, but O'Reilly, Eichel, and Reinhart are all worse offensively when with Kane.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.