2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Depends if a Finn is there or not IMO. Seems to be a very elite top 3 then a slight drop, and the Ducks need offense now to win.

I don't think it's a huge drop off after three. The drop off from 1 to 2 is bigger than the drop off from 3 to 4 in my opinion. If we're somewhere in the top six or seven then they can aim high dangling that pick and maybe Ennis or prospects.

I agree with this. Unless our 1st is more like 10 than 5.

Agreed. It will also depend on where Anaheim finishes.

With that much fire power I think you could make the playoffs with a sub-par 2nd pair. It's not like it's Weber - Franson out there

The firepower needs a blue line capable of getting it the puck. It's possible McCabe leaps forward and Bogosian capitalizes on his junior career in year 8 as a pro...but let's just say I wouldn't be comfortable betting on it.

The firepower needs a blue line capable of getting it the puck. It's possible McCabe leaps forward and Bogosian capitalizes on his junior career in year 8 as a pro...but let's just say I wouldn't be comfortable betting on it.

True, it does, but I feel like worse teams have made the playoffs on a worse blue-line. It's not like the Flames, Avs, or Pens (as recent examples) had anything great going on back there, even in their 1st pair. 

True, it does, but I feel like worse teams have made the playoffs on a worse blue-line. It's not like the Flames, Avs, or Pens (as recent examples) had anything great going on back there, even in their 1st pair. 

Sure, it's not impossible. But of your examples, only the Pens actually deserved to go :p

I'm going to make the Sabres a playoff team in two moves, neither of which will be popular on this board, both of which are plausible and in character for Murray

1) Trade our first pick (assuming it is not top 3) to the Ducks along with Cody Franson in exchange for the Ducks 1st and Cam Fowler.

2) Sign Steven Stamkos to a 7-year $70 million deal.

Eichel gets his sniper. Jack, Steven and ROR become one of the league's best lines

Reinhart centres line two with Kane and Ennis playing Domi and Duclair

Three of Foligno/Larsson/Gionta/Girgensons form a badass third line, doing exactly what Bylsma wants his third line to do

Schaller and Des are our key fourth liners with Moulson filling in as needed in the top six, and Bailey, Carrier and Fasching the top call-ups.

Fowler gives Risto the smooth complement he needs on pair one

McCabe and Bogo bring some snarl and decent skill to pair two

Gorges slides down to play with Pysyk giving us one of the league's best third pairs.

Sign a Weber type to be the 7th D and a Johnson type to back up Lehner and I promise we will do some damage.

Those are big pieces to add, but we aren't that far away.

And there's not a key guy on the squad over 26.

This is good stuff. Depending on how we are able to manage the roster going forward beyond next year, I may be temped to sign the petition I assume you are currently drawing up, that you will be hand delivering to Murray himself, correct? It would be quite exciting if this were to happen.

The Stamkos signing gives me more pause than trading the 1st actually, especially considering the type of D we could get back in a trade. At the end of the day though adding a guy like Stamkos would be exceptionally tempting, if he'd be willing to come here.

Dudacek, I appreciate your gusto, but I don't think we're a playoff team if we're icing McCabe-Bogo as our 2nd pair. I'm also fairly certain the "don't sign Stamkos" table is much less populated than the "sign Stamkos" table :)

I think we almost certainly make the playoffs with that roster and then some, depending of course on the injury situation. This is also assuming Ristolainen returns to form though. A Fowler - Ristolainen pair would be quite formidable, really easing up the load on the other D-men. If McCabe continues developing, I'd think we would have a solid D core with the potential for an explosive offense.

Could we sign Yandle, too?

Edited by Thorny

I mean, that certainly gets us into the playoffs next year. I just think it neuters you for sustained success. Just MO though

I'm not sure why. Your entire core will remain in its prime for at least five years, most of them for seven or eight. You may have to trade one of your core guys when Reinhart Kane and Eichel's contracts come up but that should net some affordable young talent to groom in behind the core. And we still have all our draft picks plus to replenish the pipeline.

Dudacek, I appreciate your gusto, but I don't think we're a playoff team if we're icing McCabe-Bogo as our 2nd pair. I'm also fairly certain the "don't sign Stamkos" table is much less populated than the "sign Stamkos" table :)

I'm with WC on this one.

I gotta say it seems like Bogo has been playing better since you started building the bunker. More ice time than Risto tonight. I'm starting to think he's one of those guys who plays better with more ice time.

And lately Jake really looks like a legit top four in the making to me.

I agree with your argument about good d-men making the offence work better, but it also works both ways.

Upgrading McGinn to Stamkos is really going to help the d on the counterattack, the breakout and on zone time.

Come on boys, dare to dream.

Edited by dudacek

We certainly have the room to add Jack's winger and a partner for Risto.

Now, I'm not sure I'd call a McCabe/Bogo second pair "sub-par", but I can respect the Bogo Bunker Bunch. Bogo is the weaker defender of the two, but he has shown a knack for scoring. Ideally, he and a third or something are traded for his replacement. I have to say, though, and I trust GMTM implicitly by now to be fully on board with this, but whoever comes back needs more snarl than Bogo has.

P.S. I would enjoy a Gorges/Pysyk third pair.

I'll dream with you guys then :D

O'Reilly 7.5 mill  Stamkos* 11 mill Reinhart 894K

Laine 900k Eichel 925K  Girgensons  2 mill

Foligno 2 mill  Larsson 1.5 mill Ennis 4.6 mill

Deslauriers 1mill  schaller 1mill Gionta 4.25 mill

Moulson 5 mill - really no room for him but never know, I do expect a rebound season from him.

*stamkos will get a 12 mill offer from toronto, but chooses the sabres for 11 mill :P

To be serious though, Stamkos will demand a lot, but paying him higher the first 3 years and having it lowered would be the way to go.

Risto 6.5 mill  Fowler 4mill

Bogo 5.142 mill McCabe 1.750 mill

Pysyk 1.125 mill Gorges 3.9 mill

Franson - (Ideally he is gone in the offseason).

3.325 mill

Lehner 2.25 mill

Ullmark 725k

This team gives us a cap hit of 71.786.000

Traded Kane for fowler.

Girgensons, larsson, McCabe, Deslauriers, schaller all on 2 year bridge deals.  The only way any of these get paid more is if they agree to 5 year deal.

But at this point none of them should be getting paid 1.5 - 2 mill more then what I put on them.

the 2017 offseason will be important though, Franson and Gionta off the books,

and moulsons buy out becoming reasonable, murray insured himself of a cheap buy out.

Gorges replaced by Guhle hopefully we can save around 14mill to play with already.

Ennis should be traded for picks with the emergency of either Bailey/Baptiste giving us close to 19mill in cap space.

Wich will be needed in the summer of 2018 when Eichel/Samson reach RFA status.

buying out Moulson this summer will cost you 3 mill, buying him out next summer will cut it down to 2mill.

Edited by Huckleberry

If the team is willing to dangle their first for a dman I think they could swing higher than Fowler (who I am very fond of).

I also don't think you jam Eichel, ROR and Stamkos all on one line.

But adding Stamkos and Fowler this offseason would be so dreamy.

You get the first pick and the Yotes are in the top 5, trade it for OEL and their pick?

I'm sure most people would but the prospect of adding a top pairing D and a top line winger sounds enticing.

I'd still add Matthews because he's above all the rest. He's really on Eichel level or a bit above at this point. I love the idea of filLing a need but not at Matthews expense.

Right now we are tied for 23rd in points in the league and are the only team besides CBJ and Edmonton that doesn't look like they are in complete tank mode. With that in mind getting the 8th pick or worse (with our drafting luck) gets us a good player but not necessarily someone who can help us this year.

My hope for lines are:

A Fin--ROR--Reinhart

UFA--Eichel--Bailey

Kane--Girgensons--Ennis

Foligno--Larsson--Fasching

UFA--Risto

McCabe--Bogosian

Gorges--Pysyk

Lehner

Johnson (1 more year)

You get the first pick and the Yotes are in the top 5, trade it for OEL and their pick?

I've been saying all year I would take Matthews and run. I think Matthews is on Eichel's level and maybe even better than him, but I think I might do the deal.

I don't think Arizona does that, though, regardless of Matthews birthplace. I do think they would do OEL for Matthews straight up or OEL and their first for number one and a piece of two.

Edited by Hoss

Right now we are tied for 23rd in points in the league and are the only team besides CBJ and Edmonton that doesn't look like they are in complete tank mode. With that in mind getting the 8th pick or worse (with our drafting luck) gets us a good player but not necessarily someone who can help us this year.

My hope for lines are:

A Fin--ROR--Reinhart

UFA--Eichel--Bailey

Kane--Girgensons--Ennis

Foligno--Larsson--Fasching

UFA--Risto

McCabe--Bogosian

Gorges--Pysyk

Lehner

Johnson (1 more year)

My problem with your lineup is that both of the Finns are RHS and will be RW in the NHL. Even Laine with his RW/LW status is playing the RW. Also Not keeping Zemgus with Eichel is a huge mistake.

Ennis - ROR - Reinhart

Zemgus - Eichel - Laine/Puljujarvi

Kane - Larsson - Gionta/Bailey

Moulson - ?Schaller - Deslauriers/Fasching

Dudacek, Thorny, WC: I tap, I tap! It can be a playoff team. Just LET GO OF MY SHOULDER! :cry:

I do think it would be a roster built for playoffs disappointment though. *hops into a helicopter and flees*

What about if we can add Yandle, too? Trading our pick for Fowler and signing Yandle and Stamkos, if that's possible, gets us in the playoffs, and quite a bit more, I believe.

I've been saying all year I would take Matthews and run. I think Matthews is on Eichel's level and maybe even better than him, but I think I might do the deal.

I don't think Arizona does that, though, regardless of Matthews birthplace. I do think they would do OEL for Matthews straight up or OEL and their first for number one and a piece of two.

I'm not convinced that Matthews is the better prospect, there are a fair few scouts that do think he is, but at least an equal amount, and probably more, that think Eichel is the better among the two. I guess we'll see. I do agree though that I do that deal. I would rather have OEL and lets say, Tkachuk, than Matthews, and it's not really close. We would be adding in two places of need, at the expense of a place of strength. Our team would be better for it immediately, and I would argue long term as well.

Highly doubt Arizona trades their pick and OEL for 1st overall though, agreed on that, too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.