2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

I'm fine with Gorges and McCabe is our 2nd and 3rd LD. josh is a decent two now, McCabe should be better.

What is it you like so much about him?

At his best he's Pommer and I wouldn't be surprised if he fell off a similar cliff.

Don't really see him contributing to a cup.

He's a RW possession forward with great metrics and a solid rep of scoring 20+ every year. My only concern is age and length of contract, so I doubt Murray goes after him

Well, he's already at now, at age 31, what Hossa has declined to in his late 30s. I think he's fine for the front end of whatever contract he gets, but the back half could be quite ugly if he drops to the 30s.

Damn, looking at Hossa's stats, he didn't even decline. He went to Chicago when he was 30, and has posted 5 20 goal seasons and 1 30 goal season. Eriksson btw is having his best offensive year since Dallas

He's a RW possession forward with great metrics and a solid rep of scoring 20+ every year. My only concern is age and length of contract, so I doubt Murray goes after him

So Pommer, then?

Can't say I've paid a ton of attention to his game, so I may be under rating him.

Never really caught my eye.

I think you nailed my concern. This is his second wind season.

We'd pay for his past and he will never be this good again.

So Pommer, then?

Can't say I've paid a ton of attention to his game, so I may be under rating him.

Never really caught my eye.

I think you nailed my concern. This is his second wind season.

We'd pay for his past and he will never be this good again.

A better possession forward than Pommers I'd say, but similar, yes. I wouldn't be so into him if we had literally anything RW

His skill set is also basically the perfect match for Jack's wing. Solid board work, can play off the puck, cover for him defensively, but with the skills to keep up offensively. Just wish he was younger.

A great point, one I forgot to mention. It would literally be a second ROR to throw in with Jack, but in his natural position (maybe not as good, but you get the point)

If he wants 4 years, I'll give it to him. I'm really not thrilled about him being 36 years old here though in 5 years

Edited by WildCard

MURRAY: "We find ourselves in a good position with the cap and draft picks to be in a position to move for some of those players."

MURRAY: "My gut feeling is that Jack's winger isn't on this team yet. We're looking to add talent."

MURRAY: "I expect to see a different and more competitive Matt Moulson next season."

MURRAY: "Moulson is taking this serious, he doesn't want to go away. I'll say slumping for sure. The long term goal is to have him better."

Edited by Hoss

I really like those quotes from Murray in regards to Moulson. It shows that both parties are trying to address the situation, that there is open communication between them, and that's it's not just a big elephant in the room that could lead to even further problems.

Nothing to say Moulson in fact will improve, but good to know he is taking it seriously. He's not insanely old, perhaps a good off season can work wonders for him.

Anyone find it kind of...something... Moulson is supposed to be mentoring Jack, yet apparently wasn't himself working all too hard away from the ice?

Objection your honor.  Assumes fact not in evidence.  

I really like those quotes from Murray in regards to Moulson. It shows that both parties are trying to address the situation, that there is open communication between them, and that's it's not just a big elephant in the room that could lead to even further problems.

Nothing to say Moulson in fact will improve, but good to know he is taking it seriously. He's not insanely old, perhaps a good off season can work wonders for him.

What a huge bonus that would be to get him back into 25-30g territory next year... and Ennis, with a better Eichel and Reinhart and a full season of Lehner.   Let's not get carried away.

Basing it on this (beware, it's Hamilton): Check out @pham1717's Tweet: https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/705520486340427780?s=09

All I can think of is that massive ice cream freezer...

Seriously, I didn't want that to happen to the guy who's showing Jack the ropes. I don't think it's a big issue, but it does bother me a bit.

What a huge bonus that would be to get him back into 25-30g territory next year... and Ennis, with a better Eichel and Reinhart and a full season of Lehner.   Let's not get carried away.

There isn't much of an advantage of buying him out financially, and you can't trade him.

25-30 goals would be great...but for him to not be buried in the minors, I think you need to get him approaching 20g (15-20) over a full season...with him playing a very good, responsible defensive game.   I don't think, at this point, you can expect more than that, and I'm not sure we are going to even see that.

There isn't much of an advantage of buying him out financially, and you can't trade him.

25-30 goals would be great...but for him to not be buried in the minors, I think you need to get him approaching 20g (15-20) over a full season...with him playing a very good, responsible defensive game.   I don't think, at this point, you can expect more than that, and I'm not sure we are going to even see that.

Well, he's getting paid like a 25 goal scorer, I think the expectations are the same.   He should get more PP time next season, probably taking McGinn's spot in front of the net... I'm thinking a poor mans Andreychuk... assuming he can get his mind right.

I'm going to make the Sabres a playoff team in two moves, neither of which will be popular on this board, both of which are plausible and in character for Murray

1) Trade our first pick (assuming it is not top 3) to the Ducks along with Cody Franson in exchange for the Ducks 1st and Cam Fowler.

2) Sign Steven Stamkos to a 7-year $70 million deal.

Eichel gets his sniper. Jack, Steven and ROR become one of the league's best lines

Reinhart centres line two with Kane and Ennis playing Domi and Duclair

Three of Foligno/Larsson/Gionta/Girgensons form a badass third line, doing exactly what Bylsma wants his third line to do

Schaller and Des are our key fourth liners with Moulson filling in as needed in the top six, and Bailey, Carrier and Fasching the top call-ups.

Fowler gives Risto the smooth complement he needs on pair one

McCabe and Bogo bring some snarl and decent skill to pair two

Gorges slides down to play with Pysyk giving us one of the league's best third pairs.

Sign a Weber type to be the 7th D and a Johnson type to back up Lehner and I promise we will do some damage.

Those are big pieces to add, but we aren't that far away.

And there's not a key guy on the squad over 26.

Edited by dudacek

If the team is willing to dangle their first for a dman I think they could swing higher than Fowler (who I am very fond of).

I also don't think you jam Eichel, ROR and Stamkos all on one line.

But adding Stamkos and Fowler this offseason would be so dreamy.

If the team is willing to dangle their first for a dman I think they could swing higher than Fowler (who I am very fond of).

Depends if a Finn is there or not IMO. Seems to be a very elite top 3 then a slight drop, and the Ducks need offense now to win. 

I agree with this. Unless our 1st is more like 10 than 5.

Dudacek, I appreciate your gusto, but I don't think we're a playoff team if we're icing McCabe-Bogo as our 2nd pair. I'm also fairly certain the "don't sign Stamkos" table is much less populated than the "sign Stamkos" table :)

With that much fire power I think you could make the playoffs with a sub-par 2nd pair. It's not like it's Weber - Franson out there

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.