2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

My take on the list was that Chicago, Vancouver and Philly are all great cities with committed owners and passionate fan bases, while Buffalo has at least the latter 2 qualities (and the first, depending on the eye of the beholder) and is a team on the rise.  I haven't been to Edmonton or Ottawa, so I can't comment on how nice they are as cities, but the Senators doesn't appear to have any of the above-mentioned team qualities.  Edmonton has good ownership and passionate fans but could be permanently stuck in the basement.

Vancouver is a nice place and he is from Whitby, Ontario.  If you are from East of Toronto, Ontario you very well may consider yourself from Eastern Ontario and want to distance yourself from that terrible place.

I agree, Edmonton = McDavid and Buffalo = Eich.  Chicago is, well, Chicago.  The head scratcher to me is the Flyers.

The Wild Card, with apologies to Wild, is Vesey. Someone asked Buccigross on twitter where he would be signing, the response from someone close to him was he does not know yet, but I'm sure he thinks of the Bruins, Eichel and other locales. 

If they can get both to sign fantastic , if its only one of them that's pretty great as well. 

Said Murray: “If I’m a winger, if I’m looking around the league, that’s one guy I definitely want to play with. If I’m a goal scorer, I would love for Buffalo to give me a chance.”

Is that for Vesey or Stamkos?

How much does he love playing of his old coach to sign in Philly?

Vancouver is a nice place and he is from Whitby, Ontario.  If you are from East of Toronto, Ontario you very well may consider yourself from Eastern Ontario and want to distance yourself from that terrible place.

I agree, Edmonton = McDavid and Buffalo = Eich.  Chicago is, well, Chicago.  The head scratcher to me is the Flyers.

Phlyers' HC was North Dakota's HC until this past season.

I think Girgensons would be a perfect 4th line center, 1st PK, 2nd PP injury replacement next year and if anything happens to any of the centers he slots up as needed. A line of

Deslauriers Girgensons Fasching with Fasching slotting up to 3rd line rotating with Gionta during games would be a luxury IMO

Chicago is probably in the Caggiula mix due to a winning tradition, chance to play with North Dakota alumni Toews and their need for entry level contracts. Their revolving door needs cheap talent every year to keep that expensive core together.

I hope his invite to our development camp made a good impression on him. The chance to grow with our young core and be close to home would be the best selling features. He sounds like a potential replacement for Ennis. A bit bigger too.

Chicago is probably in the Caggiula mix due to a winning tradition, chance to play with North Dakota alumni Toews and their need for entry level contracts. Their revolving door needs cheap talent every year to keep that expensive core together.

I hope his invite to our development camp made a good impression on him. The chance to grow with our young core and be close to home would be the best selling features. He sounds like a potential replacement for Ennis. A bit bigger too.

I'm not very high on Caggiula.   There's a reason he wasn't drafted, and this is probably his peak right now, there isn't much upside IMO.     He reminds me of Corey Conacher.    

I'd rather take that money and use it towards enticing somebody like Vesey.

I'm not very high on Caggiula.   There's a reason he wasn't drafted, and this is probably his peak right now, there isn't much upside IMO.     He reminds me of Corey Conacher.    

I'd rather take that money and use it towards enticing somebody like Vesey.

1) Yea the reason was he wasn't good at 18.  Martin St Louis wasn't drafted either, guess we should just not look at undrafted players. My point is that "he wasn't even drafted" is a very weak argument for anything. His numbers have improved each year in college, why should we assume he has peaked at the ripe old age of 21 when we are more than willing to say guys like Bailey can grow still?

2) Correct me if I am wrong but are there not strict rules governing entry level contracts for players such as Vesey and Caggiula? 

Saw this on the Twitter just now:

"NHL teams talk about "top 6" forwards a lot, but that seems like an out of date approach to me. More realistically you have top 3, middle 6."

Interesting thought. But how many good teams have a true top 3 and then an interchangeable next 6? Seems to me, you need a top 6, though they might be spread through the top 3 lines. Dallas & Washington do the top line. But Chicago & a bunch of others seem to do more of the Boston spread the top guys onto different lines.

Maybe the 3-6-3 makes sense. Have to think about it more.

I usually use that phrase to describe where a player should play so it's flexible

For me, Tyler Ennis is top six, not top three or middle six.

rROR is a first-liner who can play anywhere in your top nine.

Zemgus is a middle six, Foligno a third liner, etc.

Edited by dudacek

I usually use that phrase to describe where a player should play so it's flexible

For me, Tyler Ennis is top six, not top three or middle six.

rROR is a first-liner who can play anywhere in your top nine.

Zemgus is a middle six, Foligno a third liner, etc.

I agree with all of this.  However, I would add that Tyler Ennis is a top six on another team.  I truly believe by October 4th, he will have a new address. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

Would this work potentially?

Vesey's rights for a conditional 3rd(not ours), the conditions would be him signing.

If he signs, we can let him start bonding with the Sabres players, and we lose a 3rd but who really cares seeing as we have 4.

If he doesn't no harm done

I like the thinking but Vesey has stated he's going to UFA. I'd have to assume he wants to talk to more than just Buffalo. I think it's worth a shot though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.