2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Sabres reported out of caggulia sweeps

Potential overreaction alert: And this is why I now refuse to get excited about the chances of Stamkos, Vesey, Goligoski, and Yandle even potentially signing here this offseason. Never seems to work out, who's signed here recently, besides Moulson?

Potential overreaction alert: And this is why I now refuse to get excited about the chances of Stamkos, Vesey, Goligoski, and Yandle even potentially signing here this offseason. Never seems to work out, who's signed here recently, besides Moulson?

I should have heeded the alert!

Gorges did waive his NMC to come here, but wouldn't for Toronto. So at least we're not on the Toronto of two years ago level of avoidance.

Absolutely.

:lol:

Gorges did waive his NMC to come here, but wouldn't for Toronto. So at least we're not on the Toronto of two years ago level of avoidance.

True. I've spoken to this before, but it's not a "because Buffalo" mentality on my part. Just an acknowledgement that the chances of particular players signing in Buffalo is low just because of the odds. With so many teams always "in" on the high profile guys, always difficult to come out on top.

:lol:

True. I've spoken to this before, but it's not a "because Buffalo" mentality on my part. Just an acknowledgement that the chances of particular players signing in Buffalo is low just because of the odds. With so many teams always "in" on the high profile guys, always difficult to come out on top.

Winning solves everything. We're going to start winning next season.

it would have been good to add a guy like Cagguila to the prospect pool I don't think he is thought of as a sure thing by any means.

Vesey will be much more disappointing if he does in fact go to Toronto or Boston. 

Though winning may solve everything - it is reported that The Drake is signing with Vancouver or Edmonton. i can see the enticement of playing with McDavid but Vancouver? maybe they are the only ones he can guarantee a spot in the NHL next season in their top 6?

Winning solves everything. We're going to start winning next season.

Though winning may solve everything - it is reported that The Drake is signing with Vancouver or Edmonton. i can see the enticement of playing with McDavid but Vancouver? maybe they are the only ones he can guarantee a spot in the NHL next season in their top 6?

Sure in this case winning wasn't everything, but in general, the better teams tend to get these players. I was simply responding to Thorny's general point :)

Apparently it's Edmonton. 

Yup, hate the Drake.

• 2 weeks later...

Sabres hfboards seems to want to sign Backes. Anyone else here strongly against that idea?

That's been discussed a bit hereabouts, I think.

I don't know the player very well, but would be reluctant based on the fact that he seems sorta old (he just turned 32) for where our team is at.

Backes has reminded us of the 2011-2013 seasons of his ability to play tough minutes and really be efficient in all aspects of the game through the playoffs.  He's the type of forward any team would love to have, however there are concerns about his type of play breaking down.  Giving him 5 years would be very long in the tooth on the down side with the first two seasons possibly being rewarding.  Personally, I don't mind if the AAV were slightly higher on shorter term, but I don't see him knocking on Buffalo's door.  Stranger things have happened.

On Anaheim (Elliotte Freidman)

Elliotte Friedman was on Edmonton’s 630 CHED on Friday afternoon.

As part of a much larger discussion on defensemen, and on if he thinks both guys (Sami Vatanen and Hampus Lindholm) in Anaheim theoretically could be in play:

“You know what? I have a theory that what Bob Murray could do in Anaheim is he could make them – is he could play them next year under their qualifying offers.

Really.

“Yes. I think it’s possible. I will tell you that another team told me that they think that – and I’ll tell you this, I think teams are rooting for him to do it, because they think the second contracts have gotten out of control. They all want somebody else to do it. They don’t want to do it themselves.

“Ultimately, I don’t think that’s what Anaheim wants to do. But there are a couple of teams that think that’s what Anaheim is prepared to do.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-on-ducks-potential-contract-mindset/

Elliotte Friedman was on Edmonton’s 630 CHED on Friday afternoon.

On if he thinks Tyson Barrie, Sami Vatanen, or Justin Faulk would be available via trade:

“I would say this. I think in Anaheim, one of their young defensemen is going to get moved. I just don’t know if they’ve decided which one it’s going to be. For a long time, I thought last year it was going to be Cam Fowler. And then this year, when they were a nightmare early in the year, Cam Fowler was their best player. I know that it changed their opinion of him.

“So I think that Anaheim, at the end of the season, will sit down, do their player evaluations, decide who’s going to be signable and who isn’t, and make their decision then.

“Tyson Barrie, absolutely – I think for the right deal he’s available. I know this year Colorado had a lot of issues trying to get him signed, and at one point I got the sense they were really doubtful it would happen. So I do think that he’s available.

“Justin Faulk is an interesting one. My initial response would be I can’t imagine it. He’s a big-time scorer, and he’s got a great contract. If I’m looking at that from a team point of view, it’s a great deal. I would tell you I think anybody could be traded, but I think that’s an unbelievable deal if Carolina’s doing tha

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-barrie-available-for-the-right-deal/

It sounds like, and I don't know if GMTM did this intentionally or not, but our potential d-man replacements are not only of very high end quality, but are puck-moving and offensively talented (exactly what we need), very much available, and there are 4-5 of them. We may be sitting pretty come October 

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.