2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

We're talking a bit about Fowler in the Stamkos thread, but I figured I'd try to move the discussion here. The focus on Fowler for us is understandable because of our need for a puck-moving LHD and his logical availability given Anaheim's internal budget and Dman crunch (both Lindolm and Vatanen needing new contracts, and the inexplicable decision to give Bieksa $4 million and a NMC). But what if Fowler isn't the odd-man out? He's the same age as Vatanen and under contract for $4M for two more years, whereas Vatanen reportedly is seeking a $6Mx6 contract. Fowler also has a longer track record of success in the NHL.

I think it makes most sense to move Fowler because of their depth at LHD vs. RHD, but let's just play the what if game. Vatanen is a RHD so he doesn't fit our needs nearly as well, but would anyone still have interest? I sure would. He still brings a skill set we sorely lack, and it would make me feel better about using somebody like Pysyk (or Bogo !?!?!?! :D ) in a trade for maybe a LHD or a forward.

Granted, Anaheim may be smart and offload 1-2 of the Bieksa/Stoner/Despres triumvirate and screw our dreams of Fowler/Vatanen, but hey, now is the time for optimism!

At this point I would take any defender that would reasonably improve the d corp.

We're talking a bit about Fowler in the Stamkos thread, but I figured I'd try to move the discussion here. The focus on Fowler for us is understandable because of our need for a puck-moving LHD and his logical availability given Anaheim's internal budget and Dman crunch (both Lindolm and Vatanen needing new contracts, and the inexplicable decision to give Bieksa $4 million and a NMC). But what if Fowler isn't the odd-man out? He's the same age as Vatanen and under contract for $4M for two more years, whereas Vatanen reportedly is seeking a $6Mx6 contract. Fowler also has a longer track record of success in the NHL.

I think it makes most sense to move Fowler because of their depth at LHD vs. RHD, but let's just play the what if game. Vatanen is a RHD so he doesn't fit our needs nearly as well, but would anyone still have interest? I sure would. He still brings a skill set we sorely lack, and it would make me feel better about using somebody like Pysyk (or Bogo !?!?!?! :D ) in a trade for maybe a LHD or a forward.

Granted, Anaheim may be smart and offload 1-2 of the Bieksa/Stoner/Despres triumvirate and screw our dreams of Fowler/Vatanen, but hey, now is the time for optimism!

I live in Orange County and the consensus among my sources (i have some friends who work for the Ducks) is that Vatanen is the odd man out.    IMO he's not worth 6mx6, but he would be an upgrade.  

Personally I'd prefer Fowler, but they have no intention of moving him. 

The Hudson Fasching watch has officially begun. How long until he's signed and playing his 1st game as a Sabre?

someone on the Twitter just pointed out that he very recently tweaked his Twitter bio to indicate he's a U Minnesota alum and that he added a follow of the Roch Amerks.

Man, GWAR has really toned it down.

And he knocks it outta the park.

someone on the Twitter just pointed out that he very recently tweaked his Twitter bio to indicate he's a U Minnesota alum and that he added a follow of the Roch Amerks.

So does he report to the Amerks or does he go straight up to the big club?

I live in Orange County and the consensus among my sources (i have some friends who work for the Ducks) is that Vatanen is the odd man out.    IMO he's not worth 6mx6, but he would be an upgrade.  

Personally I'd prefer Fowler, but they have no intention of moving him. 

6 x 6 for Vatanen, RHD? Can't say I'd be very interested, would rather focus on areas we are more in need. It's nice to think we could acquire Vatanen as an upgrade for RHD and then trade one of our other RHD for left D help, but it's usually harder than it sounds. Would rather focus on getting at LHD off the bat.

Edited by Thorny

Kane Eichel Reinhart

Ennis O'Reilly Okposo

Foligno Larsson Fasching

Deslauriers Girgensons Bailey

Gionta Moulson

Joulevi? Ristolainen

McCabe Bogosian

Gorges Pysyk

Franson

Might be a reach projecting Joulevi? (depending on draft pos) as 1st pair but I just think he and Risto could be a solid shutdown pairing for many years.

Trades for Gionta Moulson Franson or Gorges would be nice but unexpected. Still not sure how they fit if you bring in 3 F and 1-2 D?

This is a reasonable lineup I think, providing Okposo doesn't want 7+ a year. 6x6 would be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

14-15 we had 54 points and 13-14 we had 52 points. This year we will have possibly 83 points with 3 games remaining. All we need is 3 key players and we are a playoff team. Imagine if we had Ennis who can put up 20 goals, moulson if he would have been himself and put up 20 goals, kane if he didnt miss all that time and O'Reilly who missed time. We could be a frigen playoff team right now. I know that is a lot of what ifs. We need to draft Risto his partner this draft in the 1st round or trade for a top 3 dman and also we need to find a really good winger or 2. With the amount of draft picks we have, the teams that are salary strapped and with free agency, we should be in a pretty good spot next year.

Kane - O'Reilly - Girgensons

Drouin - Eichel - Reinhart

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Deslauriers - Legwand - Fasching

Spare - Moulson

Fowler - Ristoleinen

McCabe - Bogosian

Gorges - Nelson

Spares Pysyk, Franson

Lehner

Johnson

With Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, Schaller, O'Reilly, Guhle, Chychrun, & Ullmark in the pipeline (or ready to be called up in the case of O'Reilly - hard to claim he's "in the pipeline")

With at some point Fasching or Bailey playing his way into the top 6 causing much shuffling on the top 2 lines w/ Girgensons either bumping to 3rd line or 4th (if 3rd line chemistry is too good to bump Foligno to 4th line).

Do we bring Legwand back?  He's been decent as a 4th line center and PK guy.  He's currently making 3M and I wouldn't be willing to go anywhere near that number nor would I go longer than 1 year.

Obviously not knowing what other off-season moves are coming via FAs and the draft we're getting to a point where we need to make some decisions on positions.  Is Reinhart going to be a center or a winger long term?  How about Girgensons?  If neither of them will be centers we are then a couple centers short (still) which would make bringing Legwand back for low money low term more likely.

I know there's been hopeful (wishful IMO) talk of Stamkos, David Backes will also be available this summer. He'll be 32 at the start of next year. He turned down 3yrs at 5.5 AAV last off-season. I also don't think he'll get Kesler money, mostly because of the disaster Kesler has been. 

Stamkos is likely to pull in max money at max term - if you could get Backes for 4 yrs at 6.5 AAV (front loaded in real dollars) would you want him instead knowing that it'd be easier to also add a 28 y/o Milan Lucic or a 28 y/o Kyle Okposo (or dare I say both)?  As much as I hate Lucic playing for other people he brings a ton of what we need, size, sandpaper and scoring.

I really doubt anyone would give Legwand $3MM again. But at ~$1.5MM, I would be willing (and actually want) to have him back. 2 years would be the max length though. W/ the expectation that he's primarily a healthy scratch in year 2.

LT, I'd expect Reinhart moves to C, but don't see it as a priority this coming season. Girgensons seems to be a W and it's good to have someline like him that can fill in at C to cover for injuries.

Hopefully in 2 seasons, Fasching &/or Bailey is ready for top 6 duty full time. They could have O'Reilly & Fasching on Eichel's wings. W/ Drouin & Bailey on Reinhart's wings. Sliding Girgensons & Kane onto 3rd line as Gionta loses a step. Deslauriers - Schaller - Foligno/Gionta (or other new guy) could be very good as 4th lines go. Or go w/ the idea of a "Legion of Doom" type line w/ Eichel centering Girgensons & Fasching.

Maybe a couple of Bailey, Baptiste, & Carrier end up traded and there's a higher quality brought in.

Kind of cool that there are some options moving forward.

Not dismissing the above Lucic and Okposo ideas, but Kane, Girgensons, Fasching and Foligno are looking like a pretty capable group of board banging wingers, plus DLo. With Larsson and ROR being hard to play against and Bailey and Carrier coming, these are not Darcy's Sabres.

Edited by dudacek

I have a hard time seeing Legwand anywhere near this roster next season. Schaller or a UFA 4th liner seems ideal. In my perfect world, Larsson, Foligno, Gionta becomes your 4th line with the addition of 2 or 3 scoring type forwards but that is really an excess of luxury. I expect 82-22-12 back as the third line.

Did we know that since Feb. 1, Sam Reinhart has led this team in goals and points? 10/10/20 in 29 games

Jake McCabe is +13 in that stretch, Foligno +11, easily the team leaders.

Bogo and Kane tied for fourth in points at 16 each. Bogo has been over 23 minutes a game, Kane has nine goals in 25 games.

The team is 13/9/7, good for 17th in the league in that span tied with Detroit and Boston for the final playoff spot, one back of Florida.

Kane - O'Reilly - Girgensons

Drouin - Eichel - Reinhart

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Deslauriers - Legwand - Fasching

Spare - Moulson

Fowler - Ristoleinen

McCabe - Bogosian

Gorges - Nelson

Spares Pysyk, Franson

Lehner

Johnson

With Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, Schaller, O'Reilly, Guhle, Chychrun, & Ullmark in the pipeline (or ready to be called up in the case of O'Reilly - hard to claim he's "in the pipeline")

With at some point Fasching or Bailey playing his way into the top 6 causing much shuffling on the top 2 lines w/ Girgensons either bumping to 3rd line or 4th (if 3rd line chemistry is too good to bump Foligno to 4th line).

This is pretty much exactly how I want to see the lines shake out for next season.

Ennis gone in deal for Drouin?

I have a hard time seeing Legwand anywhere near this roster next season. Schaller or a UFA 4th liner seems ideal. In my perfect world, Larsson, Foligno, Gionta becomes your 4th line with the addition of 2 or 3 scoring type forwards but that is really an excess of luxury. I expect 82-22-12 back as the third line.

I agree on Legwand. 

As for the 3rd line, I too would like to see Foligno-Larsson-Gionta in that slot again, but I kinda think the Sabres are going to trade 1 or 2 of their RFA forwards:

Foligno

Larsson

Zemgus

Deslauriers

I think the Sabres like all of them, but I can see a couple of them wanting too much cash and GMTM getting annoyed and sending him/them off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.