2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Makarov was going to go back the KHL.  There is literally no staying power in his game.  He's never been consistent since his post junior play.  He would have had to prove his way and doubters the entire way to earn a spot even as a back-up, ala Jonas Enroth.  

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

+1, he's a pain in the ass to play against, and if you add him to your top six in combination of Evander you have two players not afraid to go into the rough areas.  He's not going to be worth his cap figure, but if you get him at around $6M, and he's willing to come to Buffalo you have to consider it.  I have no love for him from his Bruins days of course. 

I don't know that he has lots of money, but Columbus would certainly have a lot of students and a lot of bars catering to the under-25 set.

Winnipeg would be less fun, certainly.  Probably Edmonton and Detroit, too.

But the guy never really spent time here anyway, so whatever.

Valid points sir, thank you.

Heard young Justin Bailey on WGR with Coller and Ree-vay today, and, man - the kid just sounds like the truth when he says every correct thing.

I am really hoping he pans out. Or is valuable enough to be part of a deal that brings in a key piece. Whichever, really.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep seeing in the other threads when we all show a line up, no one seems to mention Evan Rodriguez. I was pretty impressed with him. Nobody thinks he can make it?

I keep seeing in the other threads when we all show a line up, no one seems to mention Evan Rodriguez. I was pretty impressed with him. Nobody thinks he can make it?

It took him 2/3 of a season to get it in the AHL. I'd bet more on Carrier than Rodrigues at this point.

I think he has a slightly better chance of starting in Buffalo next year than Fasching or Bailey, but my money is on all three starting the year in Rochester.

I don't think ERod has any chance of starting in Buffalo while Fasching and Bailey have slight-to-decent chances.

I don't think ERod has any chance of starting in Buffalo while Fasching and Bailey have slight-to-decent chances.

Because of his style and his age, I can see him as an energy guy on the fourth with upward mobility in the right circumstances.

The other two are far better prospects, that's why the Sabres won't bury them on the fourth, they will be feeding them plenty of ice in the AHL

So this hasn't changed much since the draft completed. Coming out of the draft we're looking at:

Ennis - O'Reilly - Kane

Vesey - Eichel - Reinhart

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Moulson - Larsson - Deslauriers

Kulikov - Risto

McCabe - Bogo

Gorges - Franson

Lehner - ???

Nothing too inspiring there. We still need a good upgrade on the wing for the top six (even if Vesey signs, ESPECIALLY if he doesn't). Obviously a Stamkos addition changes the whole look here.

O'Reilly - Stamkos - Kane

Ennis - Girgensons - Gionta

Foligno - Larsson - Deslauriers

A certain upgrade and a legitimate top-six group there. It also makes it easier to ship out guys like Girgensons, Ennis and/or Folingo for another dman. It would have to be a cheaper dman because with Stamkos in the mix the cap management will start early and be tough going forward. Say we move Girgensons, Gorges and a 2017 pick for Marco Scandella (no idea if this is near value, just did it off the top of my head).

O'Reilly - Stamkos - Kane

Foligno - Ennis - Gionta

Moulson - Larsson - Deslauriers

Scandella - Risto

Kulikov - Bogo

McCabe - Franson

Lehner

That's a lineup I'm feeling good about. Just a quick mockup and it'd be tough to pay all these players down the road. It'd also be tough to figure out the expansion draft (you'd obviously do 4-4-1 in this scenario).

Protect: Stamkos, O'Reilly, Kane, Ennis/Foligno/Larsson, Risto, Scandella, Kulikov and McCabe/Bogo.

You know, looking at the lineup above made me think a bit.  Why not get rid of Foligno already?  The Sabs can get *something* for him, right?  And Bailey can step in and do the job, possibly better, and definitely for less money.  Granted, he's not going to fight, but that's Deslaurier's job anyway.

You know, looking at the lineup above made me think a bit. Why not get rid of Foligno already? The Sabs can get *something* for him, right? And Bailey can step in and do the job, possibly better, and definitely for less money. Granted, he's not going to fight, but that's Deslaurier's job anyway.

I don't think Bailey is anywhere near the player that Foligno is. Foligno is a good physical presence, a punishing hitter, solid in his own end, and is a better scorer at the NHL level. Right now, Bailey is just faster.

While I think it's likely that Bailey grows into a better player than Foligno, he's not even close right now.

I don't think Bailey is anywhere near the player that Foligno is. Foligno is a good physical presence, a punishing hitter, solid in his own end, and is a better scorer at the NHL level. Right now, Bailey is just faster.

While I think it's likely that Bailey grows into a better player than Foligno, he's not even close right now.

Wow, we see different things.  I look at Foligno and see a waste of a roster spot and (what is about to be) $2.5M.  

Wow, we see different things. I look at Foligno and see a waste of a roster spot and (what is about to be) $2.5M.

He's nothing special, but he's a solid 3rd line banger. I'm hoping that his consistency issues are behing him, but if they aren't he'll still have value in a trade. Bailey isn't even a NHLer yet. Just a prospect with promise.

He's nothing special, but he's a solid 3rd line banger. I'm hoping that his consistency issues are behing him, but if they aren't he'll still have value in a trade. Bailey isn't even a NHLer yet. Just a prospect with promise.

HE STILL COSTS $2.5M if the Sabres give him a qualifying offer.

Edited by Eleven

And? Seems like a fair price to me.

We have a salary cap that is stagnant.  Half of the posters, or more, on this board want the Sabres to give Steven Stamkos 7 x $12M.  Just traded $1M for $4.5M on the blueline.  Reinhart, Eichel, Risto, etc. will have to get paid someday.  Might need a goaltender.  Definitely will need some defensemen.  Can't spend $2.5M on Marcus Foligno.

Even if we spend 2.5 on Foligno we can still trade him. Our cap number can change big time overnight with trades. It's not an issue right now, so I don't understand being concerned with Foligno's cap hit.

How do I find the Western Air Temple?  Because we're gonna fight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.