2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Leap or no, for a .500 team, or close enough, I expected our possession game to be at least in the late teens, early 20s

Makes me wonder what DD's stats were with Pitt

I had the numbers in one of the coach threads before Bylsma was hired, but it's probably faster to look yourself than search for it. My memory is Pittsburgh was always in the top half of the league, but rarely were they elite--more of a 6-10 team than top-5.

True, +/- is a pretty useless stat in most instances. If you're comparing three players in the draft, as a GM, and are undecided, you don't just go with the one with the best +/-. But, if you're comparing similar players on the same team playing a majority of the same games together, it definitely can be a relevant stat. For instance, of the Panthers top 9 in points the 2nd worst +/- player is Trochek who is a +15. Then there is Bjugstad who is the worst of that bunch at a -8. All one needs to do is watch to determine that he is the biggest defensive liability of the top forwards, the +/- numbers confirm that.

It almost seems as if Trochek took the spot I thought Bjugstad was a lock for, going forward. He really took a huge leap forward.

I had the numbers in one of the coach threads before Bylsma was hired, but it's probably faster to look yourself than search for it. My memory is Pittsburgh was always in the top half of the league, but rarely were they elite--more of a 6-10 team than top-5.

I wonder if that has more to do with Crosby-Malkin being monsters, but having cap hits (along with Fleury, Letang, etc.) that led to having weaker-than-desirable bottom sixes which brought down possession numbers, than Disco's coaching system.

It almost seems as if Trochek took the spot I thought Bjugstad was a lock for, going forward. He really took a huge leap forward.

I wonder if that has more to do with Crosby-Malkin being monsters, but having cap hits (along with Fleury, Letang, etc.) that led to having weaker-than-desirable bottom sixes which brought down possession numbers, than Disco's coaching system.

Trochek is twice as tough and half the size of Bjugstad. You're right, he's been a great addition. Should be back sometime in the 1st round.

Don't mean to derail the thread in its infancy.

I want him just so Toronto doesn't get him. And Caggiula. I'd feel pretty good about finding a top-6 complementary scorer and/or a couple of legitimate NHL players from the Vesey-Caggiula-Bailey-Fasching group. Cheap help on the wings!

I would love to get both of them, but I doubt we get either of them.

I think Vesey will go to Toronto or Boston...and I'd put my money on Caggiula going to Vancouver with Stecher, and Boeser.

How is Schaller a UFA already?

No thanks on Leggy.

I'll defer to Taro or someone more versed on the intricacies of the CBA, but I believe it is a category that has something to do with not reaching a certain games played threshold by a certain age.

And I guess they want to leave a roster spot open for Stamkos if he insists on playing centre.

Edited by dudacek

Personally I liked Legwand on the pk but I don't see he or Schaller as a big loss. Depending on what wingers they bring in the offseason, they can always have a competition between Larsson and Girgensons for the 3rd line C spot and move the loser to the 4th line. Both guys are dependable on the defensive side.

I really think this offseason is very important because I think it won't be as easy as we may think to take the next step up. Watching these playoff series especially the Chicago-St. Louis, Florida-Islander, and the Capitols, much less the West we still have a long way to go before we can legitimately compete with these teams especially in terms of speed.

See Flagg's post. Even strength play left a lot to be desired.

IMO though, he played with Des and Moulson most of the year, not exactly a couple of teammates that would enhance any of his stats. I will say again that if we keep him I'm ok with it but if they prefer to move on, I'm ok with that too.

I am pretty close to declaring that not only will Leggy not be back with the Sabres, I don't think he'll be in the NHL next season.

If he does it won't be at his old contract level, I agree

IMO though, he played with Des and Moulson most of the year, not exactly a couple of teammates that would enhance any of his stats. I will say again that if we keep him I'm ok with it but if they prefer to move on, I'm ok with that too.

Definitely fair. If he's brought back, I'd like him to have a couple better linemates.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but update on the Caggiula sweeps: http://www.tsn.ca/free-agent-caggiula-begins-making-nhl-rounds-1.474440

According to sources, Caggiula has whittled down his list to include (in no particular order) Philadelphia, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Chicago and Buffalo.

I really want this to happen.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but update on the Caggiula sweeps: http://www.tsn.ca/free-agent-caggiula-begins-making-nhl-rounds-1.474440

I really want this to happen.

Interesting list.  Most of the teams seem logical enough (that may admittedly be a bit generous to the Sabres), but why are Edmonton and Ottawa doing there (he's from just outside Toronto)?  Does he think he's going to get a spot on McDavid's line? 

Interesting list. Most of the teams seem logical enough (that may admittedly be a bit generous to the Sabres), but why are Edmonton and Ottawa doing there (he's from just outside Toronto)? Does he think he's going to get a spot on McDavid's line?

Is he going to be on Jack's? I'd say no to both cases, though he has more of a chance here. The only reason either team is in this race is Eichel and McDavid

Ottawa and Vancouver are the confusing pair. And if he goes to Chicago, it's not for money or who he plays with, but who he plays under and the chance to win

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.