Sabres training camp 2015

Hoss

The other day I was describing Matt Ellis's relationship with the Sabres fanbase to my step brother.  I couldn't for the life of me remember his last name. 

You know, memory is the second thing to go as you get older.

I forget what the first thing was.   :P

One last Matt Ellis thing... from the WGR website Earlier this year-

In Rochester, he did his job, too. When young center Tim Schaller received his first call up to the NHL, he sent Ellis a text message saying he wouldn’t have reached The Show if not for the example Ellis set.

Former teammate Corey Tropp, now a full-time NHL’er with the Columbus Blue Jackets, had the same experience playing alongside Ellis when the Sabres were affiliated with Portland.

“He was a guy that taught me a lot about being a professional,” Tropp says over the phone. “Sometimes you’re naïve, you think you know everything until you see someone like him. You always hear about, on good teams, when young guys have someone that looks after them and shows them how things work. He was that guy for us.”

Matty Ellis is the great time chew. You aren't supposed to notice him. 

When a coach scratches his head and thinks I just want to win the zone, who can I throw out there that won't possibly hurt us, The answer is Matty Ellis.

Ellis is the latex paint on the walls of the art gallery behind the fancy collection of exotic oil paintings. 

But you never go to the Albright and say, "Wow, this is an excellent choice of latex paint behind all these really expensive paintings." You just aren't supposed to notice.

I'm a great influence on kids too, but, I assure you, you don't want to pay $75 to see me skate in an NHL game.

This so much. Matt Ellis might be all that and a bag of chips but he's not good at hockey. The fact that he's been a somewhat regular for god know how many seasons is very telling of where this franchise was. He's not even a good AHL player.

I'm most interested in seeing how the goaltending shakes out. Will Lehner be good enough to play the majority of games? If not, then what?

I don't see a spot on the roster for Larrson if Reinhart stays and plays wing. Possible trade bait. The 4th line will be Nick D, Legwand, and McGinn.

He's the definition of mediocre, a total wash on the ice, and is actuality of unscrewing 3000 screws from a 2x4 by hand. Even his face is forgettable. He's a good guy, sure, but hot damn he is just so ###### boring and uninspiring. 

And in the AHL, he's necessary.  He's fine in there as the 3rd/4th line guy.  You can't tell me the rest of those guys are worth anything more.

Matty Ellis is the great time chew. You aren't supposed to notice him. 

When a coach scratches his head and thinks I just want to win the zone, who can I throw out there that won't possibly hurt us, The answer is Matty Ellis.

Ellis is the latex paint on the walls of the art gallery behind the fancy collection of exotic oil paintings. 

But you never go to the Albright and say, "Wow, this is an excellent choice of latex paint behind all these really expensive paintings." You just aren't supposed to notice.

Well put.  Incredibly well put.

Anybody remember when training camp was almost the entire month of September?   Now it's whittled down to a handful of practices and some pre-season games...  seems odd.

It is longer but by how much I don't know.  At the top of the announced schedule...

Schedule for first week of on-ice sessions of training camp (all times are subject to change):

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=779460&navid=nhl:topheads

If I can ever play 82 games … obviously I can score 30 goals. Will I is more the question," said Kane, who had 30 in 2011-12 as a 20-year-old with the Winnipeg Jets. "I hope to score as many goals as possible. Thirty is just kind of a set number. I've already scored 30. So maybe I want to score 40 or 50."

evander kane :p

I'm most interested in seeing how the goaltending shakes out. Will Lehner be good enough to play the majority of games? If not, then what?

I don't see a spot on the roster for Larrson if Reinhart stays and plays wing. Possible trade bait. The 4th line will be Nick D, Legwand, and McGinn.

If Reinhart plays wing, it will be on the top two lines. So if that happens, Girgensons is going to be the 3C. There will be room for Larsson on the third line at LW. Or if McGinn is there, Larsson can potentially play 4th line wing. Could be a trade opportunity if you don't want a guy like Johan on the 4th line, but I'd rather keep him.

McGinn - Reinhart - Gionta

Larsson - Legwand - Foligno

Extras: Deslauriers, McCormick

Mcginn and Larsson could be switched. Larsson is competing primarily with Deslauriers, McGinn and Foligno, to my mind.

Hopefully he also mentioned that more importantly, he'd like to help the Sabres win a Cup.  :rolleyes:

I don't see what's wrong with what Kane said. He's saying he wants to score goals. What's he supposed to say? I don't want to score goals? He knows that's how he will most help the team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.