Sabres training camp 2015

Hoss

I know it's not a popular opinion but I expect Moulson, Gionta and Gorges to be busts at this stage of the game. I know a super athlete who had microfracture surgery on his knee and he is not playing hockey anymore. It also might be time to get rid of Foligno, despite his dad and his many hometown boosters.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I expect Moulson, Gionta and Gorges to be busts at this stage of the game. I know a super athlete who had microfracture surgery on his knee and he is not playing hockey anymore. It also might be time to get rid of Foligno, despite his dad and his many hometown boosters.

I wont fight you on any of those points. This is definitely a transition year where any of those four guys could wash out. 

Looks like lines to start camp:

Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis

Moulson - Eichel - Girgensons

McGinn - Reinhart - Gionta

Deslauriers - Legwand - Foligno

Now if we can somehow get Larsson instead of Legwand on the fourth line, that would be ideal!

Gionta produced 13 points in the last 15 games.  He still has spark.  Moulson I've been disappointed with, but he has the right mindset. 

Then we have to get rid of Kane as well.  Kane had the exact same surgery which limited Foligno going into last season.

Why don't we see what we have before talking about guys being busts this season?

Why would you get rid of a 23 year old who has intangibles to play in the bottom six.  To be frank, he was pushed up due to the lack of NHL talent before this season. He's a credible third liner, and an exceptional fourth line talent.  You build on that type of guy.  I would much rather have a Marcus Foligno than the Craig Adams etc dregs of the world.  He has a chance for 15 goals and plays well on the boards.  He also skates well!

Edited by TheCerebral1

I know it's not a popular opinion but I expect Moulson, Gionta and Gorges to be busts at this stage of the game. I know a super athlete who had microfracture surgery on his knee and he is not playing hockey anymore. 

I share the concern with respect to Gorges. The other two, not so much.

Then we have to get rid of Kane as well.  Kane had the exact same surgery which limited Foligno going into last season.

Why don't we see what we have before talking about guys being busts this season?

I'm referring to Gorges microfracture surgery on his knee. That should probably finish him. I'm a Larsson guy...He's a digger and tough as nails plus he's healthy. Hamilton said he had an entitled attitude...I'm not sure of that...but I am excited enough by his sample size to give him a chance. I don't want to have him pushed out of the lineup by expensive non-producing imports or guys who have great physical resources like Foligno but have been asleep since his initial burst out of the gate. 

Now if we can somehow get Larsson instead of Legwand on the fourth line, that would be ideal!

Gionta produced 13 points in the last 15 games.  He still has spark.  Moulson I've been disappointed with, but he has the right mindset. 

I saw Gionta flipped on his head like a ragdoll and out for several months and I can see it happen again. It's not worth the risk because the guys he plays against are sometimes half his age and twice his size with insane mean streaks. Plus 13pts/15 games at garbage time isn't much to go on. I've been disappointed in Moulson for awhile too...he needs a Tavares to spoonfeed him because he is mainly a garbage collector with little else to offer.

Edited by Marvelo

I'm bummed there's no Larsson on that starting forward unit but I guess it shows something when last year's first-line centre has been pushed that far down the roster. Mostly love the lines.

Don't get the Gionta hate. He's always been small. The guy is a pro and looked good after his injury. He may be declining, but he'll be fine on the third line.

Oh, and Moulson does have a Tavares to spoonfeed him.

post-2708-0-60929500-1442587928_thumb.jpg

Gorges Bogosian

Colaicovo Franson

Weber Pysk

Where's Risto?

@kevinoDandC: The #Sabres say D Rasmus Ristolainen will miss 7-10 days with an upper body injury. He's not in the practice groups today.

Huh.

UBI before camp even starts?  :huh:

Consider me equally confused on Risto.

Training injuries do happen. It sucks, but they do. Especially with young guys who are always working extra hard during the summer to build strength. 

A week sounds really minimal. I'm not confused on how it happened, but rather what it is that demands only a week when the preseason is so short.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.