Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

McKenzie/Duchene: Three pieces = young (20-24) established player + first-round pick + top prospect. #Avs

Too expensive.

McCabe/1st/Nylander is their probable asking price

For us  yes, we don't want to deplete our back end to much any more, but to me Duchene is worth that seeing he has term left on his current deal.

Fasching, Bailey and Baptist are RW'ers and Carrier, while fast looks suited for line 3/4 duties.

Nylander I've seen and commented on.

I still see the LD and LW as a weakness in the organization.

Why haven't we seen more of Baptiste in Buffalo? I think he's having a decent year (I don't pay too close attention to ROC though so I may be talking out of my Azz).

For us yes, we don't want to deplete our back end to much any more, but to me Duchene is worth that seeing he has term left on his current deal.

Are we trying to become the Colorado Islanders?

On that note... Isn't Tavares' contract up this year (and aren't I hearing he's growing tired on the Island well Brooklyn)? At the risk of having too many centers would you go after him? I would. Eichel at #2 and ROR at #3. It would only be second to Pittsburgh.

Edited by Beer

On that note... Isn't Tavares' contract up this year (and aren't I hearing he's growing tired on the Island well Brooklyn)? At the risk of having too many centers would you go after him? I would. Eichel at #2 and ROR at #3. It would only be second to Pittsburgh.

Okposo-Tavares-Moulson?

Why haven't we seen more of Baptiste in Buffalo? I think he's having a decent year (I don't pay too close attention to ROC though so I may be talking out of my Azz).

Absolutely. If his uncle can help, even better.

The Sabres are going to sell because they can and they should.  Murray said it.  There are teams that think they have a shot.  He knows the Sabres don't have a shot.  Limping into a wild card spot and being eliminated in Round 1 doesn't do anything.  

Gionta will be sought after and comes with no strings.

Kulikov is the same.

Kane should be highly sought after.

Moulson not as much - existing contract and all.

So, if he's able to move them for a good D prospect or two or better I think he'd do it.  

The Sabres are going to sell because they can and they should. Murray said it. There are teams that think they have a shot. He knows the Sabres don't have a shot. Limping into a wild card spot and being eliminated in Round 1 doesn't do anything.

Gionta will be sought after and comes with no strings.

Kulikov is the same.

Kane should be highly sought after.

Moulson not as much - existing contract and all.

So, if he's able to move them for a good D prospect or two or better I think he'd do it.

i agree but i could see a slight window with Moulson because he is only owed $3 mil over the last two years of his contract so a team could use him to get closer to the cap in dollars while saving $4 mil actual dollars? Meh, maybe?

Yup, just like Stamkos did......

Heard recently he was open to an extension with the islanders.....

Sarcasm.

There are some rumblings he may be looking to move on, now that the Isles maybe nomadic for a few seasons

i agree but i could see a slight window with Moulson because he is only owed $3 mil over the last two years of his contract so a team could use him to get closer to the cap in dollars while saving $4 mil actual dollars? Meh, maybe?

I could see Las Vegas taking a chance on him for this very reason

Sarcasm.

There are some rumblings he may be looking to move on, now that the Isles maybe nomadic for a few seasons

I could see Las Vegas taking a chance on him for this very reason

Vegas is picking (IIRC) 30 NHL players in June, you have to figure the average cost of the top-end exposed players will be around $3M. I don't think they're going to have trouble getting to the floor, so they'd only pick up Moulson if they really thought they'd be bringing in talent.

Limping into a wild card spot and being eliminated in Round 1 doesn't do anything.

Disagree with this specific point, I think being part of a playoff chase and getting to the playoffs would be very valuable for a young team. I'm just not sure how likely it is, but if they're close at the deadline (within 4-6 points) I probably stand pat or even look to make small rental type additions. Edited by Lanny

Vegas is picking (IIRC) 30 NHL players in June, you have to figure the average cost of the top-end exposed players will be around $3M. I don't think they're going to have trouble getting to the floor, so they'd only pick up Moulson if they really thought they'd be bringing in talent.

Yeah i don't think Vegas will have any interest in picking up Moulson. However, the bad contract i do think they may consider is Josh Gorges. They'd only have him for one year before he can walk, and with a group of dmen which i assume won't be very good, they might like the fact he's a leader and have a lot of games under his belt. Whoever they get they'll still struggle a lot in their first season but atleast Gorges can work some positive vibes in practice and what not, and would be an expiring contract.

Disagree with this specific point, I think being part of a playoff chase and getting to the playoffs would be very valuable for a young team. I'm just not sure how likely it is, but if they're close at the deadline (within 4-6 points) I probably stand pat or even look to make small rental type additions.

I don't disagree with you but I think if the players understand the plan they are willing to deal with having had their chance to make the run prior to March 1.  If, at March 1, they've not done the job then they look to next year.  The roster will be quite a bit different I would think with some of the younger players in Rochester coming up into permanent roles.  The Sabres can use this year to make the room by moving out players who are replaceable by the likes of Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander, etc.

Interesting read.  The one point that I hadn't considered is the scattered shifts that Moulson, Ennis, etc. get with ROR and KO.  They are showcase shifts so teams can see what they do with some good players around them.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem like much.  That said, if GMs and coaches believe that Bylsma system is suppressing the player talent then they're likely to ignore on ice results a bit and look more at the foundations of the player.

Should be interesting.

You'll see more of Baptiste in Buffalo when they're done teaching him how to lose in Rochester so he can easily transition to losing in Buffalo.

Ghost has 4-17-21 this season. We need that. Ghost is 23, we need that. Ghost's possession metrics have also improved since his rookie season, another good sign

I don't know why he's being scratched, maybe it's bad coaching. But there's talent there, and I want him on our team. Let's go out and get Ghost and Lazar while their values are low

Colorado's demands:

“It’s high interest on Matt Duchene. It’s also high prices,” said McKenzie. “While there’s no firm offers on the table with the Colorado Avalanche, there have been discussions. Everybody knows the price of poker. That is either three high-end pieces or four high-end pieces. By high-end pieces we mean this:

“If it’s three high-end pieces, we’re talking about a player that’s established in the NHL already – between 20-24 years of age – as well as a first-round pick, as well as a top prospect.

“If the young NHL isn’t established, if it’s all prospects, then the price goes up to those four high-end pieces.”

“The managers that have interest in Matt Duchene that I’ve talked to, they chuckle when you ask them about the asking price,” said Dreger. “They won’t get into specifics out of respect to Colorado, but they just say, ‘It’s ridiculous. We’re not going to pay it.’”

http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-colorado-avalanche-open-business/

So pretty much Reinhart (Maybe Girgensons, doubtful though), 2018 1st, and Nylander / Guhle. Hard pass

Edited by WildCard

Ghost has 4-17-21 this season. We need that. Ghost is 23, we need that. Ghost's possession metrics have also improved since his rookie season, another good sign

I don't know why he's being scratched, maybe it's bad coaching. But there's talent there, and I want him on our team. Let's go out and get Ghost and Lazar while their values are low

Colorado's demands:

http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-colorado-avalanche-open-business/

So pretty much Reinhart (Maybe Girgensons, doubtful though), 2018 1st, and Nylander / Guhle. Hard pass

I'd do that in a heartbeat... just to hear RJ do the M-m-m-m-m-att Duchene! And he's a stud, and close with O'Reilly. Nylander and next years 1st are unknowns. Reinhart will never be on Duchene's level.

Ghost is an absolute disaster in his own end, and a turnover machine... hence the healthy scratches... I'll pass.

Edited by pi2000

I'd do that in a heartbeat... just to hear RJ do the M-m-m-m-m-att Duchene! And he's a stud, and close with O'Reilly. Nylander and next years 1st are unknowns. Reinhart will never be on Duchene's level.

Ghost is an absolute disaster in his own end, and a turnover machine... hence the healthy scratches... I'll pass.

I disagree, Reinhart will surpass Duchene in a couple years. What he lacks in speed he makes up in his defensive skills and overall hockey IQ. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.