Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Agreed, the Ghostisbehere calls are more speculative, Del Zotto calls are real. 

I will say it again though, Ghostisbehere does not fit the mold of what Flyer fans want in a defenseman.  If he's not scoring, and I mean a ton, they will sour on him fast.  If they can move him right now when he still has decent value (despite a shite season) to make the rest of the team better I think they do it but they won't be giving him away.  Given the value of defensemen on the market he could fetch a ton in return and they have players in the pipeline to replace him.  Have to wonder if the Flyers would be in on Duchene.  Money's an issue and some would have to go the other way, Streit and Mason are expiring contracts and Varlamov is out for the year.

I'm curious, what makes you see Ghost isn't what the Flyers want in a defenseman?

If he's available, they'll run away with the market. They can literally have Duchene and Landeskog for him

He's small and he wouldn't hurt a fly.  1970s hockey dies hard in this town.  Ghostisbehere needs to be scoring a ton.  He's not (4G, 16A -17) and there has been a lot of talk about it.  Again, not that they will give him away, but if they flipped him for say a Duchene I don't think there would be a lot of people upset by that.  In fact I think they'd feel like they ripped the Avs off because I think there is some fear creeping in that he might have been a one year wonder given the big step back he's taken.

I'll give them Kane + our 1st for Ghost

I'm not talking about a heroic race to 9th.  I'm talking about instilling an expectation of winning on a young and developing group of kids.  I think mini-tanking on a group of core 19-20 yrs olds is a bad idea.

Right. I kind of think the "heroic run to 9th" meme is overused. It's certainly applicable if you are a team consisting of a failed core with aging vets. But I don't think it applies when you are a young team, with developing stars. You want to see as much improvement as you can.

He's small and he wouldn't hurt a fly. 1970s hockey dies hard in this town. Ghostisbehere needs to be scoring a ton. He's not (4G, 16A -17) and there has been a lot of talk about it. Again, not that they will give him away, but if they flipped him for say a Duchene I don't think there would be a lot of people upset by that. In fact I think they'd feel like they ripped the Avs off because I think there is some fear creeping in that he might have been a one year wonder given the big step back he's taken.

Just because the fans are stupid doesn't mean the GM is.

For example trade Lehner, Kane, Gionta, Kulikov and Franson. Call up Guhle, Bailey, Ullmark and Baptiste to get a legit look see and help them prep for next year. Try to find a couple decent D under contract. I default to the Montour/Stoner idea for Kane, but I'd be happy with any similar move. Since this year is already done, lets see if we can raise some hope for next year.

I'll give them Kane + our 1st for Ghost

My sarcasm meter is low this morning so I can't tell if you 2 are joking or you pretend to actually watch the games.

For the months of December and January, these are the pairing stats

ROR 3 goals 14 assists............ Okposo 8 goals 8 assists...... TOTAL 33 points--11 goals

Jack E. 11 goals 8 assists.......... Samson 5 goals 13 assists......... TOTAL 37 points--16 goals

Kane 14 goals 7 assists.......... Gionta 8 goals 9 assists............ TOTAL 38 points--22 goals

Going strictly on production, it looks to me especially for NUMBERS people, that Kane and Gionta are your #1 line and they don't have the added points from being on the #1 PP team. I'm sure if you just look at the 5v5 production these numbers are skewered in their favor even more. Why would you dump one of the most productive #3 lines in the league for basically nothing???

Edited by jsb

No way. ###### draft and Kane is leaving soon anyways. Trade him now before he's hurt or leaves and his value is at an all time high

I'm curious, how so?

Ghost was an overager.  Much of his success was due to novelty.  His raw talent is average, he is more of a product of right place right time.  Long term he is a bottom 4 player.  If you are giving up that much I would hope you get one of their kids who all have higher ceilings.  Ghost is a sexier Casey Nelson.  Their ceilings are pretty evident.  That is a hefty price for a Nelson type player.

Ghost was an overager.  Much of his success was due to novelty.  His raw talent is average, he is more of a product of right place right time.  Long term he is a bottom 4 player.  If you are giving up that much I would hope you get one of their kids who all have higher ceilings.  Ghost is a sexier Casey Nelson.  Their ceilings are pretty evident.  That is a hefty price for a Nelson type player.

I'll admit it, I don't watch or follow the Flyers that much. Does anyone else have this impression?

No way. ###### draft and Kane is leaving soon anyways. Trade him now before he's hurt or leaves and his value is at an all time high I'm curious, how so?

Partly because Kane is a better, harder-to-find asset than Ghost, partly because most years (though maybe not this year) Ghost isn't worth what looks to be a top 10 pick on its own. Mostly because Ghost is not the player his rookie season made you think he will be, and I doubt he will ever be that player.

Edit: I agree exactly with 3Putt.

Edited by dudacek

Safe to say that I was his biggest fan here last year, right?  I mean, I wanted him to win the Calder, and I was vocal about it.

Last year really is looking like an anomaly.  I'd need to see more before I'd trade big for him.

Nylander ;)

I firmly believe that, more than anything else, is why we drafted him.

I haven't watched him in Rochester like some of our guys have, but I'm willing to bet no one down there sees the ice like he does or has the hand/eye to get him the puck when and how he needs to showcase his skills.

At the moment he is clearly not capable of getting it himself.

Fasching, Bailey, Carrier

Fasching is on Eichel's right, Nylander on his left in my fantasy future.

Kane with Samson, ROR and Kyle.

Bailey, carrier, Baptiste Girgensons, Larsson, Foligno filling things out.

Young, fast, skilled, gritty and affordable.

Edited by dudacek

GMTM- "See how we play here in the next week or two. Making calls from both sides buyer and seller to see what's out there."

GMTM- "It's very quiet out there right now. There's a lot of fence sitting around the NHL."

GMTM- "We're still going to stick to the plan. We're not going to sell the farm for a one-off playoff shot."

GMTM- "We're still exploring all the avenues, I don't really have a sense yet of what I'm going to do."

GMTM- "There's going to be a lot buyers. There's so many teams that think they are in the hunt. There isn't a ton of players out there."

GMTM- "I think our strength is on the wings in the minors and our prospects. We do have some D coming but we're not trading those guys out."

GMTM- "I talked to Pierre today and I guess I told him he could say that." Re Fourth Line Center

From his weekly GR Appearance

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.