Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Why would he have traded for them?

I'm speaking specifically of the routine of the last 7 years of moving pending FA's for 2-5 rd picks. Actual hockey trades are different. A guy that doesn't figure in would be a hockey trade, I could see Ennis being in this category. Gionta and Kuli were brought here becuase GMTM wanted them on this team. Moving them now for baubles and bringing up guys who have no business being here is not helping the development of our core.

I think the Sabres view of how to win should be an evolving thing. It's one thing to watch a player perform on another team and another watching them play on your team. If you think a player you picked up isn't meshing with your system or "culture", I really don't think you should hesitate to move them.

I understand we don't want to be shedding players just based on their top return value. But, if we don't see them in our long terms plans, we should get what we can from them before jettisoning them after the season's over.

I think the Sabres view of how to win should be an evolving thing. It's one thing to watch a player perform on another team and another watching them play on your team. If you think a player you picked up isn't meshing with your system or "culture", I really don't think you should hesitate to move them.

I understand we don't want to be shedding players just based on their top return value. But, if we don't see them in our long terms plans, we should get what we can from them before jettisoning them after the season's over.

IMO those are hockey trades, not move this UFA for this 2nd round pick.  I like hockey trades.  Hockey trades are for improving the team.  I'm all for those.  I'm with SFiNS on being a seller at the deadline though.  Not interested in seeing it.  Those aren't hockey trades.  They make for bad hockey in the last 6 weeks.

Gionta does not want to be traded but he expects to be.  I'll float CBJ and MTL as the most likely of locations.

These guys are professionals.  They all know if you are a UFA at a trade deadline you are available.  If Murray wants to send a message then he needs to sign Kulikov but it's unlikely he does that because it's one more player he has to protect.  The variables to this season are increased due to the expansion draft.

UFAs should have a pretty good value because they won't be on rosters after the season. A GM who maximizes the value of that pick will make a perfectly strong statement about winning in the future.  If Murray pulls a player back in on a trade at this point he's going to have to choose who to protect.  No player on that team believes they are top of the mix right now.

It could be that Kulikov doesn't go anywhere simply because the Sabres don't want to pull up another player for this season.

Gio, in my opinion, is a solid bet to return on a 1 year if they wanted him next season.  Kulikov, not as much.

Yes, they are professionals. Doesn't change that six weeks of treading water intentionlly does them no good nor does it do anything to restore any atmosphere to the rink. Been a season ticket holder since the Aud days & were they they to go the route of "mini-tanking" would have a seriously difficult decision to renew. Especially if one other management decision goes as expected.

Do not agree at all that Kulikov needs to be re-signed before the trade deadline to have him back next year. They can keep all of their top 4 for next year plus 7 forwards by getting a deal & holding off on signing until after Vegas. What would be in it for Kulikov? IF he wants to be back, it gives the team the strongest roster they could have for next year.

Now, if they can get a true hockey trade that improves the team LT @ the deadline, by all means do it. It's just those trades aren't usually available at the deadline.

IMO those are hockey trades, not move this UFA for this 2nd round pick. I like hockey trades. Hockey trades are for improving the team. I'm all for those. I'm with SFiNS on being a seller at the deadline though. Not interested in seeing it. Those aren't hockey trades. They make for bad hockey in the last 6 weeks.

Well, Moulson technically came back as an UFA. Franson was an UFA. Kuli was a hockey trade, but some would argue Pysyk was still young & developing. If we want to trade any of these above players in exchange for younger, developing players, then I'm all for it.

Mike Harrington is reporting that the Kings have had a scout at every recent Sabres Game and the Sabres have a scout in attendance at Kings Games as well.

Speculation is Kane is their target.

Should be noted that John Van Boxmeer is a Sabres Scout who lives in the So Cal Area, so it makes sense he would be there.

Well, Moulson technically came back as an UFA. Franson was an UFA. Kuli was a hockey trade, but some would argue Pysyk was still young & developing. If we want to trade any of these above players in exchange for younger, developing players, then I'm all for it.

You won't get a younger, developing player for them at the deadline. 

Mike Harrington is reporting that the Kings have had a scout at every recent Sabres Game and the Sabres have a scout in attendance at Kings Games as well.

Speculation is Kane is their target.

Should be noted that John Van Boxmeer is a Sabres Scout who lives in the So Cal Area, so it makes sense he would be there.

Kane to the Kings makes a ton of sense, both for team needs and with Murray having dealt with them before

Is Jake Muzzin still good? He was a fancy stats wet dream last I checked

You won't get a younger, developing player for them at the deadline.

Why not?

Sign me up for an heroic run to ninth. That would be a whole lotta wins between now and the end of the season we would get to enjoy (well, at least I would enjoy them.)

I'm still looking for that heroic run to 6th though. mini tanking.

This is not a valid generalization. IIRC, we picked up Carrier and Fasching in 2 separate deadline trades.

I specifically referred to trading expiring FAs at the deadline. Neither of those trades were solely moving an expiring FA trade. Mcnabb moved in one, Ott, Miller and out picks moved in the other (along with Stewart coming here).

If we are going to package an expiring contract to make a real hockey trade, I can get behind that

Edited by We've

I'd like to see Gionta moved at the deadline just so we can transition the Captainship to ROR and hopefully sew an "A" into Eichel's sweater. Gionta leaving would create something of a leadership vacuum and I'd like to see our future leaders step up and embrace the roles now. I'd also like to see Gionta get a taste of the playoffs again.

I'm indifferent to the status of Kulikov and I know the pending expansion draft makes for an atypical scenario. I'm actually looking forward to the expansion draft to remove one of the dead weight members of the team (fingers crossed for Moulson, Bogo, or Gorges but I fear we'll lose an Ennis or Girgensons). Maybe I'm still in tank mode but I have a feeling he hasn't been happy here and will test UFA instead of resigning here. I'd rather him traded than losing him for nothing.

Personally I'm not expecting much action out of Murray at the deadline. I can't think any play-off bound team is thinking "We're just one Gionta/Franson/Kulikov away from being a serious contender this year". I remember Weber was heralded as a great depth pick-up for the Capitals. That didn't work out so well.

I'd like to see Gionta moved at the deadline just so we can transition the Captainship to ROR and hopefully sew an "A" into Eichel's sweater. Gionta leaving would create something of a leadership vacuum and I'd like to see our future leaders step up and embrace the roles now. I'd also like to see Gionta get a taste of the playoffs again.

I'm indifferent to the status of Kulikov and I know the pending expansion draft makes for an atypical scenario. I'm actually looking forward to the expansion draft to remove one of the dead weight members of the team (fingers crossed for Moulson, Bogo, or Gorges but I fear we'll lose an Ennis or Girgensons). Maybe I'm still in tank mode but I have a feeling he hasn't been happy here and will test UFA instead of resigning here. I'd rather him traded than losing him for nothing.

Personally I'm not expecting much action out of Murray at the deadline. I can't think any play-off bound team is thinking "We're just one Gionta/Franson/Kulikov away from being a serious contender this year". I remember Weber was heralded as a great depth pick-up for the Capitals. That didn't work out so well.

Actually If I remember when I simulated the expansion draft with generalfanager, Our only issue was having to choose between Larsson or Girgensons, and now Carrier might join in the mix.

But if Gionta were to come back next year on another 1 year deal would they give him the "C"?  If they move him it's likely they would play the rest of the year with 3 "A"s.  I'm not sure any player would accept the "C" if he were to come back and I am pretty certain he would come back. 

And I'll stand by it.. MTL knows Gionta and he was their "C" for awhile.  They could use him.  CBJ absolutely could use him.

He would slot in with Risto on the left side. His metrics are Top 2 D Pairing.

Not really interested. I guess it'd need to see what else they would be getting. Muzzin is about to turn 28. Gritty defensman don't age well. Like the surprise the St Louis Blues received when they paid a ton for Jay McKee expecting much more. 

Taking a risk with Muzzin is okay, but not when you're dealing a 25 year old player who is just going into the prime of his career.

Not really interested. I guess it'd need to see what else they would be getting. Muzzin is about to turn 28. Gritty defensman don't age well. Like the surprise the St Louis Blues received when they paid a ton for Jay McKee expecting much more. 

Taking a risk with Muzzin is okay, but not when you're dealing a 25 year old player who is just going into the prime of his career.

Damn thought Muzzin was younger , rather still do a trade with the Ducks though.

Lots of thoughts from Friedman

http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-think-duchene-going-traded/

- Duchene gonna be traded, just a matter of when

- Cap not going up, so sellers are in a position of power

- Isles could want Duchene. Montreal does and Montreal also has looked at Hanzel

- Carolina would be a perfect trade partner for Colorado 

I disagree with this entirely.  Philly has a stable of defensemen.  I'm guessing the calls are on Del Zotto and Ghostisbehere.

I would bet a lot for Del Zotto. It's an expensive trade market, and he could probably be had for a nice fee relative to the market

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.