Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Am I the only one who thinks that out of the second six in this draft, Tkachuk is absolutely the best fit for the Sabres?

His game is absolutely the perfect complement to Jack and Sam.

I absolutely would love Tkachuk but don't think he will be there. I think it's going to be that Russian defenseman or possibly Nylander when we draft and I don't know if Murray takes either of them.

He was asked if he had an interest in Boston, he didn't come out and offer that I do himself. He's from Boston, works out in Boston (with Jack) and currently is in Boston. Of course he's going to say he has an interest in playing there. Otherwise he would have been crucified in Boston. Doesn't say anything we don't already know. Who know, maybe he already has decided he wants Buffalo to plan on Eichel's line? Or maybe not?/this changes nothing really.

Am I the only one who thinks that out of the second six in this draft, Tkachuk is absolutely the best fit for the Sabres?

I'd still prefer Puljujarvi's all around game to help cover for Jack defensively, but Tkachuk definitely fits well offensively.

I absolutely would love Tkachuk but don't think he will be there. I think it's going to be that Russian defenseman or possibly Nylander when we draft and I don't know if Murray takes either of them.

I think Nylander is gone by 8, but why don't you think Murray would take him?

I personally don't think Tkachuk is the best fit.

I'd still prefer Puljujarvi's all around game to help cover for Jack defensively, but Tkachuk definitely fits well offensively.

Puju is definitely top 3. But there seems to be no consensus on the next six, meaning any two of them potentially could be available to us.

I personally don't think Tkachuk is the best fit.

How come? I see a guy who will get to the net and get open to convert Jack's skill plays, will work hard on D to give Jack room to freelance, will provide the grit and edginess down low to create open space and allow Jack to cycle, and will get Jack the puck when and how he needs it because he has excellent vision and passing touch. Seems like the perfect sidekick.

Edited by dudacek

I think Nylander has a better shot and I think Dubois has a better 2way game.

Can't say I disagree with either of those points, but I think if we are focusing on team identity and missing pieces and how they might fit with our core, I prefer Tkachuk.

Puju is definitely top 3. But there seems to be no consensus on the next six, meaning any two of them potentially could be available to us.

Ah, thought you meant after Matthews/Laine. In that case, I can't say I disagree. That said, I do think we as a fan base may be a bit too obsessed with finding "Jack's winger" because he's supposed to be able to make lesser talents more effective, not really the other way around. Recency bias alert, but Pittsburgh's best winger plays with neither Crosby nor Malkin.

How come? I see a guy who will get to the net and get open to convert Jack's skill plays, will work hard on D to give Jack room to freelance, will provide the grit and edginess down low to create open space and allow Jack to cycle, and will get Jack the puck when and how he needs it because he has excellent vision and passing touch. Seems like the perfect sidekick.

Agree with your last post dudacek. Tkachuk if he fell would be a no brainer. However thats not likely. Latest he falls is 6, I believe. I love his game, and hes a great net front passer. He is the best fit not named Laine for Eichel.

How does just the addition of Matthews put them past us? Especially when our *prospects are for the majority in the nhl and not listed any longer as prospects.

Exactly this. They still lack depth, are tiny and their defense is defintely a nightmare. The Sabres are a year and a half at least ahead of Toronto.

Can't say I disagree with either of those points, but I think if we are focusing on team identity and missing pieces and how they might fit with our core, I prefer Tkachuk.

I just don't think his style is such a better match for us then the other guys. I also think he will be drafted before 8th. 

I really don't think I like any of the defensemen very much. I hope they all get picked before us, because that means one of PLD or Tkachuk is available. Take whichever one is, and address the defense by trading for Cam Fowler :) and signing someone like Goligoski (watching Dallas, not sure why they wouldn't re sign him)

Now if your GM Murray and both of the defenseman are off the board besides the Russian defenseman. Do you think Murray picks him as it doesn't seem like he is big on Russians. I'm hoping the Finnish d-man is there when we pick but I highly doubt it. Who do you guys think we grab or do you think Murray gets creative and moves up a few spots.

If the other 2 D are taken leaving only the Russian then one of the forwards has fallen and you take him.  Likely Nylander.

Didnt even include an alert like I did, re: Caggiula. Though I suppose the bolted functions in much the same way.

I agree though. And on Chychrun. Though it's tough to get a real handle on how to rank the 3 D.

Unfortunately I think both Chychrun and Juolevi are off the board when we pick. And unfortunately as well, not sure I see Murray taking Sergachev.

One man's misfortunate is another man's fortune I guess......

Big 3

Tkchuck

Dubois

Nylander

Juolevi

Chychrun

Above is my draft order for the top 8.  If both D are taken then atleast one of those three forwards is available.  Research them and I guarantee you will be very satisfied. 

Why wouldn't Murray take Nylander?  He isn't Russian, isn't undersized and has enormous hockey IQ?  That checks all of the perceived Murray boxes that I am aware of.

I really don't think I like any of the defensemen very much. I hope they all get picked before us, because that means one of PLD or Tkachuk is available. Take whichever one is, and address the defense by trading for Cam Fowler :) and signing someone like Goligoski (watching Dallas, not sure why they wouldn't re sign him)

While I like the defensemen, I think it makes a heck of a lot more sense to draft a forward and address the D through free agency and/or trades. A forward could potentially ride shotgun in the top-6 in a year. When will any of the Dmen be ready to be legit top-4 on a good team?

"Growing up I was a huge Bruins fan. I wore #19 the past 5 years because of Joe Thornton"

Well, we're screwed

So... he wants to play for a team that basically threw away his favorite player?  The Bruins didn't exactly treat Jumbo Joe very well.

While I like the defensemen, I think it makes a heck of a lot more sense to draft a forward and address the D through free agency and/or trades. A forward could potentially ride shotgun in the top-6 in a year. When will any of the Dmen be ready to be legit top-4 on a good team?

This.  Plus there seem to be more warts/uncertainties both historically with top 10 D vs. F and in this year's group in particular.  If anything I would like to trade up two spots and guarantee myself one of the big 6 forwards.

So... he wants to play for a team that basically threw away his favorite player?  The Bruins didn't exactly treat Jumbo Joe very well.

hmm. U could be right , maybe that statement is revealing more than face value?

I think you are spot on with this and I think Murray is on this track.

The *new connection* has a nice ring to it.

I believe our top pairing partner for Risto will come through a trade at, or just after, the draft.  I thing probably at the draft after the first round, with some of our 3rds going in a big deal at the end of day 1.

Great point. I would agree except FA comes after the draft. If you can make one work in a trade that would be ideal. It seems a fair amount of our potential blue line targets are UFA though

I think he makes a pick in the first round. How $hitty would they be to host the draft and you trade away the pick. Unless something just blows him away.

Murray = "No ###### Given"

If we can get a defense-man that can play now at a high level then Murray will easily trade away that pick, or at minimum swap picks

Edited by ddaryl

If the other 2 D are taken leaving only the Russian then one of the forwards has fallen and you take him. Likely Nylander.

One man's misfortunate is another man's fortune I guess......

Big 3

Tkchuck

Dubois

Nylander

Juolevi

Chychrun

Above is my draft order for the top 8. If both D are taken then atleast one of those three forwards is available. Research them and I guarantee you will be very satisfied.

Why wouldn't Murray take Nylander? He isn't Russian, isn't undersized and has enormous hockey IQ? That checks all of the perceived Murray boxes that I am aware of.

Fair enough, you are probably right. My biggest concern is the D though, that is why I am so eager to see it addressed. However...

A good point. If we are able to execute that big trade and get our LHD that way, sign me up for a forward at 8.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.