Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

The GM that did that also iced a team so bad that they won four 1st overall picks in six years, whose core then finished 2nd-last in the NHL in its first season after he was fired. Not sure he's the guy I'd mimic :)

Sorry, making the transition to night shift and not as with it as I normally am (you decide how with it that is).  Not exactly my point, but ancillary to it; much like Darcy he clung hard to a rotten core for far too long.  McDavid or no, they're likely still a year behind the Sabres.

82 games 24 goals 39 assists 63 points  MacKinnon's rookie year

81 games 24 goals 32 assists 56 points  Eichel's rookie year

However MacKinnon did have a better team than Eichel with consistently better linemates most of the season. 

Compare the Avs of 2013-14 http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?season=20132014

with that of our Sabres  http://sabres.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

I'd say the comparison more than makes up for Eichel's 7 fewer assists.

Is Eichel Crosby to MacKinnon, no, but he does seem better comparatively. 

The point being let's not over value someone else's guy just because it is a shiny new toy.  I wouldn't offer sheet the Av's because I think you can just trade for Barrie or Landeskog. Well I understand the leverage point, this is a team you already have a relationship with. I think dropping an offer sheet does damage that relationship and you are basically playing a game of chicken. Offer sheet and they match you get nothing, offer sheet and they don't you overpayed and got a player that we don't really need. 

Edited by LGR4GM

$1,205,377 to $1,826,328 Third-round pick 

$1,826,328 to $3,652,659 Second-round pick

$3,652,659 to $5,478,986 First- and third-round pick

$5,478,986 to $7,305,316 First-, second-, and third-round pick

$7,305,316 to $9,131,645 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick

this was the comp for 2015/2016 according to wikipedia, which means 3.9 is probably right with the cap going up.

2016 is about a 2.73% increase over last year.

$1,239,226 or lower is nothing

$1,239,227 to $1,877,615Third-round pick 

$1,877,616 to $3,755,233 Second-round pick

$3,755,233 to $5,632,847 First- and third-round pick

$5,632,848 to $7,510,464 First-, second-, and third-round pick

$7,510,465 to $9,388,080 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick

$9,388,081 or higher       four First round picks

Anaheim is a team to target for an offer sheet.   

They have 3 key RFA's, Anderson, Lindholm, and Vatanen.   You could also include Rakell in that group.    They're likely losing their UFAs, Stewart, McGinn, Perron and Horcoff.    

Looking at their cap situation for next season, they already have $52mil in contracts.    $20mil isn't enough to retain all their key RFAs and fill the spots vacated by the UFAs.   

As much as I love Barrie, I'd offer sheet Lindholm, he's an absolute gem.   He has size, speed and scoring ability, a PP QB that Murray is looking for.

If you offer him $5.5m (1st and 3rd) I don't think ANA can match unless they move somebody like Fowler, Kesler, Perry or Getzlaf.    BTW, there's lots of talk down here about a potential Getzlaf trade as he put his house on the market just recently... a house he moved into only a year ago.  

I think GMTM is a ZFG kinda guy, but I don't think he's going to buck the unwritten "no offer sheets" rule.

I think he would. Under the right circumstances and after much internal debate. I just don't see him as the type of guy who automatically takes things off the table. For example, I don't think he would rule-out offer sheeting a player on Totonto or Boston.

I think GMTM is a ZFG kinda guy, but I don't think he's going to buck the unwritten "no offer sheets" rule. 

I wonder if big chunk of Edmonton's issues are related to their two attempts at offer sheets.  Maybe I'll muster up the minimal effort to look at their trade partners since Vanek and Penner to see if there is any weight to the idea.

Edited by We've

30 Thoughts from Friedman.

Columbus needs centers and might be willing to move down for Logan Brown.

Zemgus, 8th and what else to get to third overall?

And as mentioned in another thread Michal Kempny Czech D-Man with good possession numbers is being pursed by Buffalo, Chicago and Vancouver.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-panthers-chart-bold-new-direction/

Edited by BRAWNDO

30 Thoughts from Friedman.

Columbus needs centers and might be willing to move down for Logan Brown.

Zemgus, 8th and what else to get to third overall?

And as mentioned in another thread Michal Kempny Czech D-Man with good possession numbers is being pursed by Buffalo, Chicago and Vancouver.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-panthers-chart-bold-new-direction/

If Columbus is dumb enough to not draft Puljujarvi... dear god. They can have 8th and 38th and Zemgus. 

We are in a position where Samsons ceiling, imho, will be higher at center.  But with the ROR deal it is hard to see Sam getting a top 6 look at center in the next few years.  While he was productive at wing I feel Laine has a higher ceiling at that position.  If ROR moves to the wing maybe that solves the issue, but with the new deal I don't think that is the plan.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.