Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

$1,205,377 to $1,826,328 Third-round pick 

$1,826,328 to $3,652,659 Second-round pick

$3,652,659 to $5,478,986 First- and third-round pick

$5,478,986 to $7,305,316 First-, second-, and third-round pick

$7,305,316 to $9,131,645 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick

How does that work for players though? What are the values for trading them a player instead of picks?

I'm not so sure about that.  A few talking heads have mentioned Colorado's internal cap with respect to Barrie.

Sure, but that's where the assessment of value and subsequent choice comes in. Nobody put a gun to their head to pay Beauchemin $4.5M for 3 years or Erik Johnson $6M for 7 years, deals which play no small part in forcing Barrie out (if it comes to pass). Having an internal cap, if anything, should prioritize cap space for Barrie over those deals...however, old school mentality would pick those two Dmen over Barrie.

How does that work for players though? What are the values for trading them a player instead of picks?

We aren't talking about trading for that player. We are talking about offer sheeting a RFA. If Barrie signed an RFA sheet with Buffalo at the 5.4mil range and Colorado did not match, we would owe Colorado our 2017 first round pick and third round pick.

We aren't talking about trading for that player. We are talking about offer sheeting a RFA. If Barrie signed an RFA sheet with Buffalo at the 5.4mil range and Colorado did not match, we would owe Colorado our 2017 first round pick and third round pick.

Ah my mistake. Thanks

Sure, but that's where the assessment of value and subsequent choice comes in. Nobody put a gun to their head to pay Beauchemin $4.5M for 3 years or Erik Johnson $6M for 7 years, deals which play no small part in forcing Barrie out (if it comes to pass). Having an internal cap, if anything, should prioritize cap space for Barrie over those deals...however, old school mentality would pick those two Dmen over Barrie.

I can agree with that; I still don't see how they can afford Bogosian.  I think they have Golisano-like management over there and they're just not going to spend a lot.

I can agree with that; I still don't see how they can afford Bogosian.  I think they have Golisano-like management over there and they're just not going to spend a lot.

Probably can't, I'm just hoping against hope.

Ugh, I just looked at his actual salary and it increases to $6M over the next two years. The dream is dead.

No worries. This is the most fun we have had since summer started. 

I think our offseason is going to be awesome. 

Probably can't, I'm just hoping against hope.

Ugh, I just looked at his actual salary and it increases to $6M over the next two years. The dream is dead.

Why can't they afford him? Even losing Duchene/Landeskog?

I think our offseason is going to be awesome. 

Why can't they afford him? Even losing Duchene/Landeskog?

I think it's a matter of desire moreso than ability. 

What if.... we trade Bogosian, #8, Zemgus, and something for Landeskog and Barrie

Then we officially label Colorado as the most incompetent front office in the league.

Can we swap Duchene for Landeskog? Are they that incompetent?

I'd much rather have Landeskog.

I think it's a matter of desire moreso than ability. 

Then we officially label Colorado as the most incompetent front office in the league.

I'd much rather have Landeskog.

The most incompetent since MacTavish/Tambellini/Howe, or Feaster/whoever else for sure.  Landeskog would be the ideal fit to me, he plays well in all three zones.  He's also a responsible and team leader in his early 20's.  Duchene is a great player in his own right, I wouldn't hate it either way, but I would prefer Landeskog.  I'm still not a big fan of Barrie, even if he does some things right.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

That's Darcy Regier talk, Flagg... GMTM, he of the ZFG.... Would do it in a heartbeat if he thought it was worth it. Besides, I've watched a dithering GM hose the Sabres from within on the receiving end of an offer sheet already.

Identify the target and do what it takes to get it done. No evidence in Murrary's tenure to suggest anything else will happen. no evidence that the above mentioned raid on Colorado is what he has in mind though...

That's Darcy Regier talk, Flagg... GMTM, he of the ZFG.... Would do it in a heartbeat if he thought it was worth it. Besides, I've watched a dithering GM hose the Sabres from within on the receiving end of an offer sheet already.

Identify the target and do what it takes to get it done. No evidence in Murrary's tenure to suggest anything else will happen. no evidence that the above mentioned raid on Colorado is what he has in mind though...

The GM that did that also iced a team so bad that they won four 1st overall picks in six years, whose core then finished 2nd-last in the NHL in its first season after he was fired. Not sure he's the guy I'd mimic :)

Having looked at all of this I'm left wondering...why should we help Colorado out?  We have a bunch of money.  We're sitting here BSing about Stamkos.  Let's drop a 9.1M sheet on MacKinnon and sign Goligoski instead.  That would cost us 2017 and 2018 firsts, a second and a third and MacKinnon is worth that.  Frankly I might call Sakic now and see if I could work out a deal with getting to the offer sheet stage. I could always "settle" for Barrie at a more reasonable price with an agreement NOT to sheet MacKinnon as part of the terms.

Nathan MacKinnon is under no circumstances worth that contract. He isn't even close to that contract. Jack Eichel has more points and goals than him this season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.