Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

sounds like Dave is trying to convince himself Stamkos will stay

Stamkos will go where ever the money is biggest

Let's hope that we are the team offering the most, but also that the money we are offering isn't as much as some are saying Stamkos will command. 

So not 11mil +?

Exactly, wouldn't wanna pay that much. 

But I still want that O'Reilly - Eichel - Stamkos line. Provided Stamkos comes at less than the price you mentioned. Not only will that be a dynamite first line, it'll give our 2nd line with Reinhart, and whoever else is on it, ideally sheltered minutes and great matchups. 

Give me Stamkos, and give me Goligoski. Draft BPA. Then get going on that march to the playoffs. 

Edited by Thorny

We should know soon

So @FriedgeHNIC said tonight between periods that UND's Drake Caggiula may pick his team tomorrow. #Sabres definitely in the hunt.

Maybe a sign of how our offseason is going to go? Could be the dove with the olive leaf or the canary in the coal mine. Or maybe it means nothing except for in and of itself.

Am I the only one who is completely unable to care all that much about the college free agents? Salary and contract caps being what they are, might we not look for a more reasonably defined return for the dollar via free agency or trade?

Am I the only one who is completely unable to care all that much about the college free agents? Salary and contract caps being what they are, might we not look for a more reasonably defined return for the dollar via free agency or trade?

I'll say no but the value of picking up a capable player for nothing is appealing no? I don't think you can compare an NHL FA with a college FA.

I'll say no but the value of picking up a capable player for nothing is appealing no? I don't think you can compare an NHL FA with a college FA.

Which I guess is my concern, how sure are we of the capability of these guys? I mean, I've read the volumes posted here. Still, not convinced. Note: I do not work in scouting or an NHL front office.

We should know soon

So @FriedgeHNIC said tonight between periods that UND's Drake Caggiula may pick his team tomorrow. #Sabres definitely in the hunt.

Love the Drake!

His name is Drake Caggiula. Drake. Caggiula. Seinfeld references, Caligula references, kid has it all!

In reality, though you're unlikely to get a star or anything, a lot of these guys turn into valuable depth players in short order because they're older and have developed as players. And hey, you do occasionally get a Tanev out of it.

Sure, a bunch end up as AHLers, but they probably aren't any less likely to succeed than your typical mid-round draft pick. So why not?

Taking a flyer on a guy because why not is one thing. Reading the write ups on these guys here I get the impression that many are expecting instant top six. Maybe two years ago.... But no.

Taking a flyer on a guy because why not is one thing. Reading the write ups on these guys here I get the impression that many are expecting instant top six. Maybe two years ago.... But no.

Drake may be talented enough to do so. His write up on elite prospects looks pretty good, at least:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=97396

Ultimately I think Caggiula is a pretty safe bet for an NHLer--he has enough skill and tenacity that smaller players need. How good of an NHLer? Who knows, but I think he'd instantly upgrade our 4th line with a reasonable chance of replacing Gionta in a year.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

It's certainly a fair point -- none of these guys is likely to develop into a full-blown star NHLer.  But it's possible, and more broadly, the Sabres getting him -- a coveted player with plenty of options -- would be a nice indicator of their rising league status.

The gorilla in the room that not too many people talk about is the goalie situation. As big and imposing as Lehner is, so far in his NHL career he has been weak. I think TM is rolling the dice with this most important of positions to commit to Lehner who has never proven that he is an NHL starter with all his injuries and inconsistencies. Maybe he'll get on the right track but to commit to someone who has never proven anything, especially when he has someone solid already in net is a chance the Sabres cannot take. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.