Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

What do we have, that we are willing to part with, that would warrant a top pairing lhd in return?  I think GMTM takes bpa, Russian or not.

I agree but I think his idea of bpa pushes Russian players down the list.  Who knows though?  Watch him draft the Russian and then this narrative can be put to rest.  But until that happens, I believe it.

I agree but I think his idea of bpa pushes Russian players down the list.  Who knows though?  Watch him draft the Russian and then this narrative can be put to rest.  But until that happens, I believe it.

This is a good point. People often use the term "Best Player Available", but the thing is, what makes "best" is obviously subjective. Numerous things will be taken into account, depending on the person, including various priority levels as well. Things like position may even be taken into account as well depending on how term is being defined. BPA would only be straight forward if there was a singular objective ranking of available players, but of course there isn't. 

I think the "risk", i.e. flight to the KHL, has been somewhat diminished by the struggles the league has had financially. An oil based economy is subject to booms and busts.  The kids who have come to NA to make it.in the NHL are less risky in my opinion.  

"I definitely think Tyson Barrie is in play" - Friedman

Never change Colorado, never change

Man, Sakic and Roy are morons who have crushed the future of the team with perhaps the brightest future immediately following the 2013 draft.

Please be true please be true please be true.

The bolded is probably unfair, but it does invite some enjoyable speculation about what we could swindle them with for Barrie.  Is Grigorenko plus Zadorov plus Compher comparable to Zemgus plus Pysyk plus Fasching?

Does anyone here besides Pi think that Tyson Barrie is worth anything near ROR - contract, or trade price?

Does anyone who is not a Colorado fan see trading away good young core pieces for speculation as a good way to build a contender?

I am a firm believer in the Murray philosophy: pay quantity to get quality because it's always easier to acquire complementary players than core players.

Shrugs, Tyson Barrie (again a RHD) is a fine enough player, but he's not a legit number one defensemen and for a team to give up what it will take to get him, you're better off going after Shattenkirk.  Draft Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev, sign Goligoski or Yandle and develop Guhle.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

Eh, I like Barrie but I'm not giving up the farm for him. Now if Landeskog is available...

Also Roy and Sakic are awful.

Salivates, Landeskog....wow the two way ability!  He'd be such a great fit here long term. 

Eh, I like Barrie but I'm not giving up the farm for him. Now if Landeskog is available...

Also Roy and Sakic are awful.

I love Landeskog, but if we fired our last big trade bullets on a forward I may snap.

Does anyone here besides Pi think that Tyson Barrie is worth anything near ROR - contract, or trade price?

Does anyone who is not a Colorado fan see trading away good young core pieces for speculation as a good way to build a contender?

I am a firm believer in the Murray philosophy: pay quantity to get quality because it's always easier to acquire complementary players than core players.

Near? Yes. Probably 1 less trade piece and a million less on the contract. Thinking along the lines of what Hamilton fetched.

What do you guys put the odds at on Murray pulling off a blockbuster trade this offseason? I'm betting 100% he will make a blockbuster trade with 100% chance that it will involve someone or someones that will stir alot of emotions in this forum. Murray has said in the past not to fall in love with your own players, if he follows his own advice this could get very interesting next month.

Man, Sakic and Roy are morons who have crushed the future of the team with perhaps the brightest future immediately following the 2013 draft.

Colorado has some interesting cap issues.   They have $52mil in existing contracts with key RFAs in McKinnon, Grigorenko and Barrie.    

A total of 17 RFAs and 11 UFAs.   If they throw coin at McKinnon and Barrie, they'll need an owner with deep pockets to fill out the rest of their roster/farm team.

Erik Johnson is making $6mil, Beauchemin $4.5mil... Barrie probably wants term and likely more than what Johnson makes.    That's a lot of cap eaten up by 3 defensemen when you need to sign a stud like McKinnon. 

#8 overall, and Pysyk for Barrie? Does that get the trade done? Would people here make this trade? Seems like it may potentially not be enough, but it is Colorado. Say we are drafting a D with the pick. What are the odds that D or Pysyk becomes as good as Barrie? He fits our need for a puck moving D very well and is available to step in right away, while still being young.

We would still need a LHD, but we need that anyway. I feel like Barrie would be a significant upgrade to our blue line. Sign Goligoski and it looks something like:

Goligoski - Ristolainen

McCabe - Barrie

Gorges - Bogosian

Looks good to me.

So, if Tampa goes on to win the Cup WITHOUT Stamkos what can we extrapolate from that? Anything other than Tampa is really good??

This is a very good point. Tells you the game's more about chemistry and teamwork than signing the biggest FA name.

The bolded is probably unfair, but it does invite some enjoyable speculation about what we could swindle them with for Barrie.  Is Grigorenko plus Zadorov plus Compher comparable to Zemgus plus Pysyk plus Fasching?

That'd be over kill with our 2nd especially.

Zemgus >> Grigo

Pysyk < Zadorov

Fasching > Compher

38th < 31st

Plus Barrie is a RHD

Colorado has some interesting cap issues.   They have $52mil in existing contracts with key RFAs in McKinnon, Grigorenko and Barrie.    

A total of 17 RFAs and 11 UFAs.   If they throw coin at McKinnon and Barrie, they'll need an owner with deep pockets to fill out the rest of their roster/farm team.

Erik Johnson is making $6mil, Beauchemin $4.5mil... Barrie probably wants term and likely more than what Johnson makes.    That's a lot of cap eaten up by 3 defensemen when you need to sign a stud like McKinnon. 

Colorado has an internal cap, they couldn't keep RoR for that same reason.    Barrie will want 7 - 8 mill and we already got Bogo at 5mill a year.

#8 overall, and Pysyk for Barrie? Does that get the trade done? Would people here make this trade? Seems like it may potentially not be enough, but it is Colorado. Say we are drafting a D with the pick. What are the odds that D or Pysyk becomes as good as Barrie? He fits our need for a puck moving D very well and is available to step in right away, while still being young.

We would still need a LHD, but we need that anyway. I feel like Barrie would be a significant upgrade to our blue line. Sign Goligoski and it looks something like:

Goligoski - Ristolainen

McCabe - Barrie

Gorges - Bogosian

Looks good to me.

Would rather make that trade for a LHD instead

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.