Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Letting McGinn go would be such a Darcy thing to do. He's been good here. Just sign him. 

I don't want a 1st for Mcginn.  A first from a playoff team is a 50/50 shot to be an NHL'er 2-4 yrs down the road.  I'd rather resign McGinn and have him for the next 3 years.

What incentive does McGinn have to sign anything with Buffalo right now?  He's only signing if A) he absolutely doesn't want to leave or B) the Sabres offer him more money than he thinks he can get in FA.

Let's assume A).  McGinn has the option to return, long term, to Buffalo if he absolutely does not want to leave.  In the meantime, he can have a chance at the playoffs this year by being moved. It also allows him to help the Sabres improve (because if he absolutely wants to play here then he's going to be in favor of that).  Everyone wins.  Risk: someone offers more money than the Sabres (granted this nullifies option A as ever being valid).

Let's assume B).  The Sabres would be foolish to offer him a lofty, can't say no, contract.  He's important, not irreplaceable.

So, if they've spoken about contracts (and I would bet money they have). Then they both have a good idea of where McGinn ranks on this roster today and next year.

The organization can do right by the player (and in other players eyes) by moving him to a playoff team.  

The final option is C).  McGinn says this is a business.  Therefore, he's open to moving to a contender because he has a shot at the playoffs and then he's a UFA who can field all the offers he wants.

I suppose you can throw in option D).  McGinn will sign a contract favorable to the Sabres now so he has no chance to be in the playoffs this year but has longer term financial stability at a price point potentially below what he could earn in FA or the Sabres would agree to when other teams can bid.

I don't see D.  But hey.. I'm not Jamie McGinn either.

What incentive does McGinn have to sign anything with Buffalo right now?  He's only signing if A) he absolutely doesn't want to leave or B) the Sabres offer him more money than he thinks he can get in FA.

Let's assume A).  McGinn has the option to return, long term, to Buffalo if he absolutely does not want to leave.  In the meantime, he can have a chance at the playoffs this year by being moved. It also allows him to help the Sabres improve (because if he absolutely wants to play here then he's going to be in favor of that).  Everyone wins.  Risk: someone offers more money than the Sabres (granted this nullifies option A as ever being valid).

Let's assume B).  The Sabres would be foolish to offer him a lofty, can't say no, contract.  He's important, not irreplaceable.

So, if they've spoken about contracts (and I would bet money they have). Then they both have a good idea of where McGinn ranks on this roster today and next year.

The organization can do right by the player (and in other players eyes) by moving him to a playoff team.  

The final option is C).  McGinn says this is a business.  Therefore, he's open to moving to a contender because he has a shot at the playoffs and then he's a UFA who can field all the offers he wants.

I suppose you can throw in option D).  McGinn will sign a contract favorable to the Sabres now so he has no chance to be in the playoffs this year but has longer term financial stability at a price point potentially below what he could earn in FA or the Sabres would agree to when other teams can bid.

I don't see D.  But hey.. I'm not Jamie McGinn either.

You may be underplaying the advantage of D: financial stability. Hockey is a rough game, and Jamie McGinn is one check to the head or leg bending the wrong way from being retired. Elite talents like Crosby will get second and third chances, but not as many teams are going to take a chance on McGinn coming back from major injury. Sign now, for a modest deal and you can live out life in relative comfort.

In my view McGinn is a lesser version of Stafford.

Why is the comparison invalid? Stafford has better offensive numbers and isn't any worse defensively.

I just hate this. Viscerally.

I'm just going to say it.

Intangibles.

Or something.

Cripes. Just look at those guys play. I'm thinking of the worst of Stafford, obviously (of which, we had a lot). But, man.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Or something.

Cripes. Just look at those guys play. I'm thinking of the worst of Stafford, obviously (of which, we had a lot). But, man.

McGinn goes to the net and corners with more gusto for sure, but he does plenty of floating, particularly in the defensive zone and on the back check.

I just think McGinn is getting overrated. He's a nice enough player for what he is, but at the end of the day he's a ~35 point player who doesn't bring much of any value defensively and doesn't drive possession. Guys like him are replaceable. If I can get a 1st for him I do it...not because I want another pick in the mid-20s, but because I want an additional asset to include in a trade for a top-4 LHD.

Exactly. Getting him off the books 3 years sooner with a little larger cap hit is by far the superior solution.

Guys who are tough and who can score 20 for a team as offensively constipated as the Sabres are not easily replaceable.

Having said that, I agree with taking a #1 for him for the reasons you mentioned -- and I suspect GMTM does too.

I don't want to trade him for the sake of it, but rather, to help address what I consider to be a more important need. I also feel that players of McGinn's caliber are the ones who routinely get overpaid by a fair margin, and I have no interest in doing that.

This is a good point.  My interest in keeping him drops substantially if it's going to cost, say, $5MM per year x 4 years.

Why is the comparison invalid? Stafford has better offensive numbers and isn't any worse defensively.

Because this isn't fantasy hockey.  Because Stafford has no heart and McGinn has a ton.  Because Stafford engages enough in the game to play to his potential about 20% of the time and McGinn does so about 90% of the time.

Or something.

Cripes. Just look at those guys play. I'm thinking of the worst of Stafford, obviously (of which, we had a lot). But, man.

Beat me to it.

Great, so Murray comes out and basically says he's ready to deal putting the players on alert and taking their minds off the game. I really don't want to go through this again. This crap is getting really old. If a team wants to move forward, cohesiveness plays a big part. 

At the bottom of Garth's blog he notes which guys are likely to be on the block and which are likely to stay: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Murrency/6/73974

McGinn is on the "stay" list. I'm fine with everyone on the "go" list other than I'm one of the few on here who still likes Ennis when healthy. I think he has puck skills that are useful on the power play.

Garth needs an editor.

Great, so Murray comes out and basically says he's ready to deal putting the players on alert and taking their minds off the game. I really don't want to go through this again. This crap is getting really old. If a team wants to move forward, cohesiveness plays a big part. 

As long as Buffalo is sniffing 30th place, GMTM will be willing to move anyone for the right price.    I'm OK with that.    He hasn't touched the roster since the draft.   This current group has had plenty of time to gel and show something.    They haven't (at least a number of them haven't), so it's time to cut bait.    What I like about GMTM is he doesn't fall in love with his own players, which many many GMs are guilty of. 

As long as Buffalo is sniffing 30th place, GMTM will be willing to move anyone for the right price.    I'm OK with that.    He hasn't touched the roster since the draft.   This current group has had plenty of time to gel and show something.    They haven't (at least a number of them haven't), so it's time to cut bait.    What I like about GMTM is he doesn't fall in love with his own players, which many many GMs are guilty of. 

I can certainly think of a former Sabres GM who did so until everything went up in flames. 

Edit: It wasn't the only reason, nor was he solely responsible, mind...

Edited by Sabres79

Sorry True, but there is no way that comparison is accurate.

I understand that he may be a little overrated on here, but you can't deny how much better he's played then anyone anticipated. He certainly has a future here as a 3rd line winger, and I don't think GMTM will overpay on him. My worry with moving him at the deadline is locker room chemistry, and that's not something I usually concern myself with at all. He provides a great example, works well with ROR (and is his best friend), and is another young but veteran presence in that room. I really, really don't want to become Edmonton. If McGinn wants to resign, resign him. If he's absolutely unwilling, move him.

McGinn is playing exactly like he did in Colorado. No one should be surprised.

He is a proven middle six winger who will almost certainly garner a 2nd or B prospect, and maybe more depending on the market.

Murray is on record as not being willing to let UFAs walk for free for as long as we are building.

If McGinn wants to play here, he can certainly come back in the summer, or he can be replaced in the summer.

Cap space and a 2nd rounder are more valuable to a rebuilding team than a McGinn level player.

Legwand and Weber are also gone because players like that are always useful to a team loading up for a playoff run. Colaiacovo too, if anyone wants him.

More interesting is the potential market for Moulson, Gionta, Gorges and Franson.

Letting McGinn go would be such a Darcy thing to do. He's been good here. Just sign him. 

Actually I think signing McGinn right now would be a Darcy like thing to do. They guy is playing the best hockey (statistically) of his life at age 27. That's rolling with O'Reilly and someone else of high skill. His career statistics would indicate he's REALLY a strong 3rd line sort of guy. Signing him to a 3-5 year deal at free agent type money is exactly what not to do when you are in 29th place. I say trade him at peak value. Sell high, don't buy high. 

Actually I think signing McGinn right now would be a Darcy like thing to do. They guy is playing the best hockey (statistically) of his life at age 27. That's rolling with O'Reilly and someone else of high skill. His career statistics would indicate he's REALLY a strong 3rd line sort of guy. Signing him to a 3-5 year deal at free agent type money is exactly what not to do when you are in 29th place. I say trade him at peak value. Sell high, don't buy high. 

Good stuff here.

And, again: Let him go chase a Cup and then, if he so desires (and the team does too), come on back in July.

LeBrun: "On Drouin, they're scouting him again. I don't see what the fit is for Buffalo. I could be wrong." #Sabres #TBLightning

From a radio interview

Maybe some sort of three-way deal in the works?

The intesting thing about Drouin is that he fits Murray's stated goal to a tee: talented young players who haven't found their niche yet in other organizations, for whatever reason.

He was the third overall pick in a stronger draft and is just 20 years old.

Would you trade this year's first-rounder for him?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.