Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I fancy Yandle as a better version of Brian Campbell.

If we keep faltering and, god forbid, get a good lottery draw, I'm willing to bet we could pry OEL out of the desert.

I'm willing to bet we could if we're willing to give them Risto or Reinhart plus.

(Meaning it's not happening)

Edited by Hoss

I fancy Yandle as a better version of Brian Campbell.

If we keep faltering and, god forbid, get a good lottery draw, I'm willing to bet we could pry OEL out of the desert.

I would trade them Matthews for OEL and their first in a heart beat and I'm not sure they would turn it down since he is a local boy.

The only hockey player in the league Arizona trades OEL for is McDavid, IMO.

No chance this is true. We can't jump the shark, here. OEL is a great young D and he's still getting better. But there are more valuable players out there. He has 27 points and is a minus-6. Arizona doesn't trade him for Erik Karlsson? 43 points, plus 4, only one year older? They certainly do. Patrick Kane? Jack Eichel straight up? They probably make those deals.

No chance this is true. We can't jump the shark, here. OEL is a great young D and he's still getting better. But there are more valuable players out there. He has 27 points and is a minus-6. Arizona doesn't trade him for Erik Karlsson? 43 points, plus 4, only one year older? They certainly do. Patrick Kane? Jack Eichel straight up? They probably make those deals.

Maybe EK. I agree that in a vacuum there are plenty of players with equal or better value, but look at their blue line. Certainly no forward outside McDavid would get them to trade OEL, and IMO OEL is a top 7 d-man in the league with the potential to be regarded as Doughty's equal. I really don't think they'd ever move him for anyone outside of a better d-man, and again IMO there are maybe five of those, whose teams would never trade them.

Maybe EK. I agree that in a vacuum there are plenty of players with equal or better value, but look at their blue line. Certainly no forward outside McDavid would get them to trade OEL, and IMO OEL is a top 7 d-man in the league with the potential to be regarded as Doughty's equal. I really don't think they'd ever move him for anyone outside of a better d-man, and again IMO there are maybe five of those, whose teams would never trade them.

Fair enough. But we can at least agree that EK is a better defenseman, right? He's gotta be the league's best right now.

The only hockey player in the league Arizona trades OEL for is McDavid, IMO.

I don't think this is even a little accurate... I could probably think of 30.

Also, if Arizona has a top five this year and we're first I probably would give them Matthews for their first and OEL if that were offered.

Arizona would trade OEL for thirty players? He's a top 10 d man and there's no way they don't trade him without getting a top pairing d man back because they have nothing else back there. Nothing.

Crosby, Ovechkin, Benn, Seguin, McDavid, Eichel, Malkin, Backstrom, P. Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Price, Holtby, McKinnon, Barkov, Tavares, Karlsson, Doughty, Quick, Tarasenko, Bergeron, Giroux, Subban... I got close off the top of my head.

Edited by Hoss

Crosby, Ovechkin, Benn, Seguin, McDavid, Eichel, Malkin, Backstrom, P. Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Price, Holtby, McKinnon, Barkov, Tavares, Karlsson, Doughty, Quick, Tarasenko, Bergeron, Giroux, Subban... I got close off the top of my head.

You're telling me that Arizona readily trades OEL, a top ten defenseman, when they have nobody behind him that comes close to first pairing ability, for most of those guys. You're insane. I agree many of them have similar value, but like I said, they aren't trading him for freaking Backstrom or Quick or a bunch of those names you list. 

And for the record I think all of those goalies get shelled behind an OEL-less Arizona defense.

One of these names is not like the others. I honestly think Quick has ascended to the most overrated player in the league.

I think the issue here is that many might not be as high on OEL as I am. The only defensemen I like more than him right now are Doughty, Karlsson, Keith, Josi, and Subban when he's not in scoring slumps like he has been. OEL is right with those guys on my list, and with where their franchise is, I think it would take Connor McDavid or something else ridiculous and worth well more than OEL to get them to move him.

I think the issue here is that many might not be as high on OEL as I am. The only defensemen I like more than him right now are Doughty, Karlsson, Keith, Josi, and Subban when he's not in scoring slumps like he has been. OEL is right with those guys on my list, and with where their franchise is, I think it would take Connor McDavid or something else ridiculous and worth well more than OEL to get them to move him.

I luuuurrrrrve OEL.

No, I just think you're underestimating ownership's need and desire to become relevant in the local market and the premium value a Spanish speaking, Mexican-American, hometown kid, that oh by the way is going to score a crap ton of goals, would have.

You and I both know that you need defensemen to win.  Quality hockey defense doesn't put arses in the seats nor sell corporate sponsorships, it puts people to sleep. You need it tremendously to win, but it's not sexy to watch.

I understand the value that AM would bring, but in the same way that winning Jack still has us in last place, I don't think AM is enough to help that team do anything in the standings if they lose OEL. And if they aren't doing anything in the standings, all of the local hockey players in the world won't put butts in the seats.

You may have overstated the exact number, but I think your argument has been taken too literally. When you take age and contracts into account, there's definitely not a ton of trades 1:1 that make a ton of sense. He's a tremendously valuable commodity.

Yeah, I probably should have been more careful wording things. I'll just step out and say that I don't believe there is an offer that other teams would be willing to make that would pry out OEL, and it goes both ways; sure, maybe Auston Matthews and a prospect and a pick is enough for Zona, but it's not like the Sabres would ever propose that, I don't think, they'd keep AM and find a less-talented LHD to trade Reinhart for or something.

Edited by Randall Flagg

No, I just think you're underestimating ownership's need and desire to become relevant in the local market and the premium value a Spanish speaking, Mexican-American, hometown kid, that oh by the way is going to score a crap ton of goals, would have.

You and I both know that you need defensemen to win.  Quality hockey defense doesn't put arses in the seats nor sell corporate sponsorships, it puts people to sleep. You need it tremendously to win, but it's not sexy to watch.

This is a big part of it.

You're telling me that Arizona readily trades OEL, a top ten defenseman, when they have nobody behind him that comes close to first pairing ability, for most of those guys. You're insane. I agree many of them have similar value, but like I said, they aren't trading him for freaking Backstrom or Quick or a bunch of those names you list. 

And for the record I think all of those goalies get shelled behind an OEL-less Arizona defense.

As pointed out above, you're overstating your point and I intentionally took it literally. I'm not insane, nor are you. But "freaking Backstrom" is a superstar in sheep's clothing.

I'm not saying they "readily" trade OEL. I don't think they'll ever actively engage in trade talks about him unless he publicly demands it or his contract is up and they have to move him. However, you take the star young forward over him here.

And I LOOOOOOOOVE OEL. Think he's closer to a top-five dman than top-ten as you have him, but I still think that franchise moves him for a wide array of players. Maybe a few less than those I named, but most of those easily.

This is a big part of it.

As pointed out above, you're overstating your point and I intentionally took it literally. I'm not insane, nor are you. But "freaking Backstrom" is a superstar in sheep's clothing.

I'm not saying they "readily" trade OEL. I don't think they'll ever actively engage in trade talks about him unless he publicly demands it or his contract is up and they have to move him. However, you take the star young forward over him here.

And I LOOOOOOOOVE OEL. Think he's closer to a top-five dman than top-ten as you have him, but I still think that franchise moves him for a wide array of players. Maybe a few less than those I named, but most of those easily.

Fair, though I still sliiiiiiiightly disagree. And I don't mean to diss Backstrom either, that was a heat of the moment thing, he's fantastic.

So if you think they'd deal for Eichel straight up would they deal for Matthews? I honestly think they would.

If I had to guess I think they would trade OEL for Matthews, yes.

Quick makes his money when it counts. And unlike Eli, he;s not terrible in the regular season

Eli Manning has 2 Superbowls, and Brett Favre only has one. Therefore, Eli a a better quaterback, all-time. #howcasualsportsfansbeginandendtheirarguments

:D

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.