Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

The intesting thing about Drouin is that he fits Murray's stated goal to a tee: talented young players who haven't found their niche yet in other organizations, for whatever reason.

He was the third overall pick in a stronger draft and is just 20 years old.

Would you trade this year's first-rounder for him?

Not a chance. Too many questions about him, both health and play, three years after his draft for a guy who should be making his mark. And I'm all about trying to pry him away, but that pick is u touchable for me right now.

Not a chance. Too many questions about him, both health and play, three years after his draft for a guy who should be making his mark. And I'm all about trying to pry him away, but that pick is u touchable for me right now.

I think Ennis plus would be a more likely scenario.

For the record, I am not a fan of Drouin's attitude. He seems spoiled.

That said, he was more highly thought of than either of the Finns in his draft year and is two years ahead in the development process.

Is he really that far from where Ryan Johansen was at this point in his career?

For the record, I am not a fan of Drouin's attitude. He seems spoiled.

That said, he was more highly thought of than either of the Finns in his draft year and is two years ahead in the development process.

Is he really that far from where Ryan Johansen was at this point in his career?

No, but I wouldn't have given a likely top-5 pick for Johansen 3 years after his draft year either :)

The intesting thing about Drouin is that he fits Murray's stated goal to a tee: talented young players who haven't found their niche yet in other organizations, for whatever reason.

He was the third overall pick in a stronger draft and is just 20 years old.

Would you trade this year's first-rounder for him?

I agree, except that GMTM likes bigger guys.  Still, I can see him being very interested in Drouin for the reasons you mention.

I think Ennis plus would be a more likely scenario.

I agree with TBGED, and I don't think GMTM would trade next year's #1 for Drouin -- at least not until we know what it is.  If it turns out to be, say, the 9th pick in the draft?  Then I think GMTM pulls the trigger.

At this point, though, if TB is shopping him pre-deadline, that means we don't know what pick it will be, and that TB will probably want players who will help them in the playoffs this year.  And that, in turn, means IMHO TB is going to want one of the Sabres' untouchables -- ROR, Eichel, Reino or Risto. 

I would give them Ennis, one of McCabe or Pysyk and the Sabres' 2nd-rounder in a heartbeat, but I don't think TB will go for that.

Dreger and LeBrun have been reporting they would like a similar aged D Man. Asking price for Ottawa for example is Cody Ceci.

So Pysyk or McCabe. Weird, I thought the Bolts were loaded on the back end. You'd think with Drouin not panning out and the uncertainty of Stamkos, they'd want forwards. Maybe get the d-man, then add some and ship it to Edmonton for Hall/Eberle/RNH? Edited by WildCard

The Lightning reportedly want a young NHL RHD, so we're likely going to need to send them Pysyk. But I think they'd still be interested in young forwards... My guess is it will need to be Girgensons or Pysyk.

And I don't think they'll have interest in Bogosian because it's been reported they can't take money back.

Edited by Hoss

As a junior, Druin would go 4 to 6 in this draft .... correct?

While not a dissappointment, he's not improved his stock thereafter.

Accordingly, id value him like 6 to 9. A trade demand moves me to the 8/9 end.

To the learned .... I'd trade 8 or higher (9, 10 direction) for him. I'd not trade a first until I knew it.

Edited by N'eo

I think that works for both teams. Drouin goes West and the Wild get a replacement for Pommers.

I think it works for TB, that's for sure. But Drouin isn't made for Yeo's system, and he isn't the type of player Pommers is. If I'm Drouin, I pray for a miracle that I can go to Chicago, Dallas, or even Buffalo.

As a junior, Druin would go 4 to 6 in this draft .... correct?

While not a dissappointment, he's not improved his stock thereafter.

Accordingly, id value him like 6 to 9. A trade demand moves me to the 8/9 end.

To the learned .... I'd trade 8 or higher (9, 10 direction) for him. I'd not trade a first until I knew it.

Players are still like used cars to me... Once you drive them off the lot they lose value. I don't think he's worth a top ten pick right now.

There's a ton of value, to me, in having a guy come straight to your system from the draft. When a guy has spent a few years in another franchise who knows what he's been told that you'll have to correct or tweak.

I would give them Girgensons, though. Probably Pysyk. Certainly not both.

Is it a good idea to be shopping Ennis considering the type of season he's having?

I'm sure NHL GMs are better able than fans to take the long-term view, but...

The guy is a proven 20-goal scorer in the early part of his prime with speed, a solid contract - particularly for a budget team, given that Tpegs has paid out the real cash up-front - and good character.

There can't be more than 100 guys in the league that can be counted on for 20 goals.

He has to have pretty solid value.

Good young defencemen the Sabres should be pursuing from teams that have a lot of young D and could have interest in Ennis:

Shea Theodore Anaheim

Mike Matheson Florida

Steve Santini New Jersey

Brady Skjei New York

Travis Sanheim Philadelphia

Sanheim might be out of our league, and will take a long, long time to get here I think. I really like Metheson and Theodore, and perfer Theodore honestly because in a much shorter AHL time span, he's been much more productive. Matheson is a higher rated prospect however. Also, Theodore could probably be gotten from Anaheim more easily simply because of where those organizations are at.

Theodore is my favourite target from that group.

Some might say trading someone of Ennis' age, track record and skill for a promise is silly.

Others might say we know Tyler's ceiling and Theodore could have a higher one.

Given where each organizations is, I say a Theodore for Ennis swap has merit from both sides.

I don't think the Ducks would trade Theodore, essp not for Ennis while on his worst season in the league. If a deal is doable there, i think the player we need to look at is Cam Fowler.

Is Theodore really worth more than Fowler? I have a very hard time believing that

Is Theodore really worth more than Fowler? I have a very hard time believing that

I don't think it's a major step down from a performance standpoint but Fowler is a $4m cap hit for two seasons after this one, so i think based on that and potential i think they'd value moving Fowler over Theodore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.