Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I don't think it's a major step down from a performance standpoint but Fowler is a $4m cap hit for two seasons after this one, so i think based on that and potential i think they'd value moving Fowler over Theodore.

Anaheim has $8m in cap space already, money is not an issue for them. Trust me, I'd love to get Fowler, loved the kid since I saw him in the last Olympics, but I don't think he'd be worth less than Theodore. 

Good young defencemen the Sabres should be pursuing from teams that have a lot of young D and could have interest in Ennis:

Shea Theodore Anaheim

Mike Matheson Florida

Steve Santini New Jersey

Brady Skjei New York

Travis Sanheim Philadelphia

Santini might be a stretch, family lives nearby in Brewster NY and own the rink i play old man hockey at. Never know but Jersey is a lot closer. Kid does have some wheels!

McGinn is the only one I think who could fetch us a late 1st rounder come trade deadline.   Wouldn't mind seeing McGinn resigned though.

Unless ennis is available I don't see who else could fetch us another 1st round pick.   And would only move him for a top 4 LHD.

Legwand can get us a 2nd rounder, weber a 3rd I think.

Edited by Huckleberry

Anaheim has $8m in cap space already, money is not an issue for them. Trust me, I'd love to get Fowler, loved the kid since I saw him in the last Olympics, but I don't think he'd be worth less than Theodore. 

From my readings of the intrawebs, fans tend to value prospects a lot more than GMs do.

Theodore might become as good as Fowler already is and Fowler's best years are still ahead of him.

I love projections as much as the next guy, but I doubt there are many GMs who would prefer Theodore over Fowler and all of those would have to be in serious cap trouble.

Edited by dudacek

Legwand can get us a 2nd rounder, weber a 3rd I think.

Wow I think I would be surprised to see Leggy get a second.

Could see him packaged with Johnson maybe for something to a contender,

You may be underplaying the advantage of D: financial stability. Hockey is a rough game, and Jamie McGinn is one check to the head or leg bending the wrong way from being retired. Elite talents like Crosby will get second and third chances, but not as many teams are going to take a chance on McGinn coming back from major injury. Sign now, for a modest deal and you can live out life in relative comfort.

That's true.. certainly.

Actually I think signing McGinn right now would be a Darcy like thing to do. They guy is playing the best hockey (statistically) of his life at age 27. That's rolling with O'Reilly and someone else of high skill. His career statistics would indicate he's REALLY a strong 3rd line sort of guy. Signing him to a 3-5 year deal at free agent type money is exactly what not to do when you are in 29th place. I say trade him at peak value. Sell high, don't buy high. 

Rolling with O'Reilly is, in my opinion, exactly why they believe they will trade him. The goal is to get his value as high as possible.  Any team taking him this year is not worried about his long term stats, they want a player who is capable of producing and is doing so at the moment.  He's a UFA so they aren't trading for long term production.  That will be the responsibility of the team that gives him his next contract.

And i would not trade for Drouin for anything.. even Weber.  Okay. maybe Weber.

Good young defencemen the Sabres should be pursuing from teams that have a lot of young D and could have interest in Ennis:

Shea Theodore Anaheim

Mike Matheson Florida

Steve Santini New Jersey

Brady Skjei New York

Travis Sanheim Philadelphia

Tyson Barrie is a pending RFA on team that will need to sign Nathan McKinnon (also a pending RFA), and has almost $30mil tied up in 6 players.... Duchene, Landeskog, Johnson, Soderberg and Varlamov.    They'll have to make some decisions as they only have 7 forwards and 4 defenseman under contract next season.     So they'll have about $40mil to fill more than a dozen spots.    Can they give close to half that money just to 2 players (Barrie/McKinnon)?   

Tyson Barrie is a pending RFA on team that will need to sign Nathan McKinnon (also a pending RFA), and has almost $30mil tied up in 6 players.... Duchene, Landeskog, Johnson, Soderberg and Varlamov. They'll have to make some decisions as they only have 7 forwards and 4 defenseman under contract next season. So they'll have about $40mil to fill more than a dozen spots. Can they give close to half that money just to 2 players (Barrie/McKinnon)?

I believe they are one of the teams with an internal salary cap as well

Tyson Barrie is a pending RFA on team that will need to sign Nathan McKinnon (also a pending RFA), and has almost $30mil tied up in 6 players.... Duchene, Landeskog, Johnson, Soderberg and Varlamov.    They'll have to make some decisions as they only have 7 forwards and 4 defenseman under contract next season.     So they'll have about $40mil to fill more than a dozen spots.    Can they give close to half that money just to 2 players (Barrie/McKinnon)?   

Grigorenko is also an RFA and Tanguay is a UFA. I think the Avs might have anticipated losing Barrie and hoped Zadorov could fill that gap. Obviously that hasn't worked out too well for them so far. Elliot Friedman suggested earlier that the Canucks could land Barrie, giving Virtanen the other way. Not really sure why they would do that, seeing as with the Sedin's age they are going to need young offensive talent to go with their next crop that includes Horvat. Duchene was also rumored earlier this year to be moved as well. Given the complete incompetence of that organization, neither would surprise me. Tyson Barrie seems available, but it would likely mean we lose some serious pieces, and he'll need a big raise. We also have to pay Risto this summer too. Cap isn't an issue, but 2 long term contracts for d-men coming into their prime might be later down the road

One Ave's site is advocating Drouin for Barrie. While TB would need new pants and the Av's might have left their helmet at home to make the trade talks work, the principle of getting MacKinnon and Drouin together is an intriguing idea. Barrie fetches much more than just Drouin though

Edited by WildCard

Minnesota Wild Blogger Trade Proposal

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2016/1/13/10761294/the-solution-at-center-sam-reinhart

Reinhart for Jonas Brodin and a prospect such as Jordan Greenway.

I say no, this team has center depth but severely lacks wingers. Rhino can fill both roles.

I hope they keep Reinhart, and I suspect they will.   He was the GMTM wanted at the draft last year, they would've taken him first overall.   Gonna take an awful lot to pry him away.

4 untouchables, unless the Oilers or Coyotes offer an insane package. Even then, I'm hesitant

Barrie is the Avs best defenseman and he is on a scoring streak. I don't see the Avs letting him walk without a very strong return. Young 60-point defensemen are hard to come by. That said, he has the same agent as Ryan O'Reilly, which obviously works against the Avs.

ROR had been basically demanding to be moved for years though, not sure that that's the case with Barrie

Barrie is the Avs best defenseman and he is on a scoring streak. I don't see the Avs letting him walk without a very strong return. Young 60-point defensemen are hard to come by. That said, he has the same agent as Ryan O'Reilly, which obviously works against the Avs.

You're making the mistake of assuming Sakic and Roy have the slightest idea what they're doing.

Minnesota Wild Blogger Trade Proposal

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2016/1/13/10761294/the-solution-at-center-sam-reinhart

Reinhart for Jonas Brodin and a prospect such as Jordan Greenway.

I say no, this team has center depth but severely lacks wingers. Rhino can fill both roles.

I'd do that move. We'll have Auston Matthews next year, so that makes Samson expendable. :D

Every time I see mention of Reinhart being traded I die a little inside.

Same here :lol:

It's a shame, but not surprising in Fowler. Drouin to the Blues makes sense

Thanks for all the updates Brawndo, everytime I see you post in this thread I get excited

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.