Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Cody Franson netted a late first last year.

Doubt he gets so much this year, but his contract is only $2.6 million next year and veteran defencemen are in high demand at the deadline.

Given the play of McCabe, the growth of Risto, and the fact Bylsma likes forwards on the PP point, we don't need him.

I would be very surprised if he is a Sabre after the deadline.

Edited by dudacek

Doubt he gets so much this year, but his contract is only $2.6 million next year and veteran defencemen are in high demand at the deadline.

Given the play of McCabe, the growth of Risto, and the fact Bylsma likes forwards on the PP point, we don't need him.

This is an astute observation.

If you go to player stats at Hockey Analysis you can click a player's name and get it in there. You can select individual seasons or blocks of consecutive seasons up to (I think) 5 years.

Completely missed this yesterday, thanks, True. I had planned on using it to look around for Drouin's stats, something I'll get to eventually 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Mouls-Valuable-Player/6/74090

lol if murray pulls this trade off, Snow should be taken out back and shot. That garth is funny to read.

Basically he is stating murray can trade Moulson + franson for Nelson and Dal colle :blink:

That's worse than Wookie.

If you don't feel like clicking on a hockeybuzz article he suggests Franson and Moulson for Brock Nelson and Michael Dal Colle. Franson and Moulson wouldn't net either of those players, let alone both.

I like Pysyk just fine. It's just that I think a lot of folks around here overvalue him. He is a solid defender, but certainly not "untouchable." We have one "untouchable" defenseman and that is Risto.

This is more or less where I am on Pysyk as well. I find it amazing that some here wouldn't trade him for Drouin.

Interesting, and given GMTM's description of the Sabres as sellers, I think you're right. B

Montreal is 4-15-1 since December 2nd, worst in the league. When are they going to sack up and just trade for Malkin already?

BREAKING NEWS

Strong source confirms Habs making a huge push today putting a more significant package on table to acquire Drouin.

Per Brian Wilde

Drouin is on route to Rochester with Syracuse to play the Amerks

BREAKING NEWS

Strong source confirms Habs making a huge push today putting a more significant package on table to acquire Drouin.

Per Brian Wilde

Drouin is on route to Rochester with Syracuse to play the Amerks

Not saying he wouldn't be a good fit for the Habs, but I don't understand their obsession with acquiring French Canadian players (and coaches).

Not saying he wouldn't be a good fit for the Habs, but I don't understand their obsession with acquiring French Canadian players (and coaches).

lol, they need help on the ice now, so they are going to spend more to acquire a guy who was sent down by his current team cause he has struggled to perform at the NhL level?

lol, they need help on the ice now, so they are going to spend more to acquire a guy who was sent down by his current team cause he has struggled to perform at the NhL level?

Exactly. And they don't need wingers, they need centers

The Montreal manager is an idiot

Edited by WildCard

That avatar is sweet, Brawndo. 

If only a top line center had been available in the offseason...

The only thing with Montreal is, I don't know if they have the prospects to pony up for a ROR, or the NHL ready grit/defense that Pitt will assuredly want back. Hoss and others have mentioned St.Louis being a target before, and although they definitely don't need him as much as Montreal does, St.Louis is much more likely to be able to work something out. IIRC they tried for Johanssen

Some big teams to look for at this year's trade deadline:

Pittsburgh: Cap strapped, the addition of Hagelin's contract hurts them. Underachieving, and could use the loss of Malkin's contract and the change it brings. Malkin likely an offseason trade though

St.Louis: Backes is a UFA, tons of injuries are forcing them to wait on a few deals, rumored to want Drouin and open to trading Backes; Friedman reporting Pitt and Caps could be destination spots. Statsny's contract of $7m/year through 2019 has turned out terribly, Shwartz is a RFA, Ott a UFA, and Brouwer is a UFA. Combine all of that with the defensemen they are willing to move, and the Blues are poised for big deals

Vancouver: With pending UFAs Chris Higgins, Brandon Prust, Dan Hamhuis and Yannick Weber, an old goalie, and Henrik hurt at a critical time for them, the Canucks could unload and flip that roster to bring along the youth movement of Virtanen and Horvat

Washington: Though they shouldn't do anything, teams like this usually do make a move at the deadline, and it usually ends terribly

Dallas: Same as Washington

Anaheim: Having already moved Hagelin for Perron, the Ducks are, ironically surprisingly, in the playoff hunt. With goaltending depth and some serious offensive issues, the Ducks have been rumored to trade with the Calgary Flames

You forgot to mention Vrbata in Vancouver. Also the report from Damian Cox that Keith Yandle WILL be traded by the deadline.

We'll be an interesting team at the deadline, too. Not likely to the whole league but there's some intrigue here. Rumors of Ennis. Johnson, McGinn, Weber, Legwand and Colaiacovo are UFAs. Will Murray try to dump Moulson?

Murray will take a 2nd and like it

That's worse than Wookie.

If you don't feel like clicking on a hockeybuzz article he suggests Franson and Moulson for Brock Nelson and Michael Dal Colle. Franson and Moulson wouldn't net either of those players, let alone both.

This guy is interesting, sometimes he's right but he's mostly wrong. Almost always a good read ,minus editing

I'd like to see Murray get Backes from the Blues if available and trade away Franson so Pysyk can play and they have 3L and 3R defenders. An upgrade at 1 or 2 of the LD spots would be nice too but I don't know if there's enough am to secure them

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.