Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Tampa is a good match on this type of deal. They're not in need of defense. Ennis could be attractive for them as he does what, I assume, they want Drouin to do... When healthy. His health could definitely hinder any deal.

Question: would you trade Girgensons for Drouin straight up? I don't know if I would, just asking.

I would give Ennis and a 2nd easily. Not giving them a first. Ennis and Foligno? Larsson and Foligno? That'd be a pure steal. I don't think it's enough.

I'm stealing this from Joe Yerdon of NHL.com, but the comparable recent deals are Nino Niederreiter (traded three years after being picked 5th overall) and Kyle Turris (traded four and a half years after being drafted 3rd overall).

Turris went to Ottawa for David Rundblad and a second.

Niederreiter went to Minnesota for Cal Clutterbuck and a third.

So this likely isn't going to be nearly as expensive as well think.

I would say Ennis and a 2nd plus maybe another small piece.

Edited by Hoss

Why would Tampa want Ennis? He's smaller than Drouin and has a lower ceiling. He's never scored more than 21 goals in a season. And now he has injury problems. Most teams could put together a better offer.

They'd ask for Girgensons or Pysyk (or both), and I'd pass on that. We don't have a ton of depth and, unfortunately, most of our best trade assets (that aren't untouchable) are already gone.

Why would Tampa want Ennis? He's smaller than Drouin and has a lower ceiling. He's never scored more than 21 goals in a season. And now he has injury problems. Most teams could put together a better offer.

They'd ask for Girgensons or Pysyk (or both), and I'd pass on that. We don't have a ton of depth and, unfortunately, most of our best trade assets (that aren't untouchable) are already gone.

The last thing they need is another defenseman.

The last thing they need is another defenseman.

In terms of good young players that we might realistically move (I.e. NOT Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, or ROR), those are basically the only two guys that might help them get good value for a guy like Drouin (even if they have to make another trade for it to make sense).

I don't think we're a good trade partner for them. It never hurts to try but I doubt Tampa wants what we'd be ok giving up.

I'm stealing this from Joe Yerdon of NHL.com, but the comparable recent deals are Nino Niederreiter (traded three years after being picked 5th overall) and Kyle Turris (traded four and a half years after being drafted 3rd overall).

Yup. Tampa doesn't have a ton of leverage here. The coach who hates him just signed an extension and now it's public he wants out, and he's done basically squat at the NHL level to this point.

I just don't know if Drouin would be a wise move for us.

There's still a lot of uncertainty with this team. The core of young talent seems very promising, but we need to acknowledge that nothing is certain when you're the second youngest team in the league. We used up a great deal of our assets in the ROR, Lehner and Kane trades, and I'm not sure GMTM would want to wager even more of our remaining assets (2016 picks, Fasching, whomever) on further uncertainly with Drouin.

I'd rather hold on to our remaining assets or trade for someone with maybe a lower ceiling but more consistency. 

I wonder if Larsson and a 2nd & a 3rd would work? Seeing as they are dealing from a untenable position.

Guys, it's not that untenable. They have 29 teams to talk to and most would be interested in Drouin. He was a 3rd overall pick two years ago and he's on his ELC. You'd just need a couple teams making serious offers to drive the price up.

Guys, it's not that untenable. They have 29 teams to talk to and most would be interested in Drouin. He was a 3rd overall pick two years ago and he's on his ELC. You'd just need a couple teams making serious offers to drive the price up.

Very true, but I'd guess most teams will low ball them for starters. 

Anyone think TM might be interested in the former #3 overall Pick from 2013, Drouin?

His agent is asking for a trade after they assigned him to the minors again, he's been a disappointment so far and injured but he could be a possible buy low change of scenery move?

Do you think mullets are cool? That's about as timely as your post.

I watched Drouin play for 2+ years here in Halifax.  He did have some injury issues while here, but when he is healthy and happy he is pure magic.

I would give Tampa any roster player and / or prospect / pick we have ... except the top 6 players currently on the roster and the 2016 #1.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Yeah but there's some track record of deals like this with Turris and Neiderreiter not to mention Baertschi who was #13 overall, demanded out of Calgary, and netted a low #2 in return.

Given that our #2 will be a relatively high 2, that, and a half decent player/prospect might get it done.  Given that Tampa doesn't have room to play Drouin they might prefer a prospect in the minors just to kick that can down the road a ways.

Like I said, make the offer. It can't hurt. And teams routinely make goofy trades (I can think of a couple from draft day in 2015).

If I'm Tampa, though, I wouldn't rush into a bad trade and I don't think I'd get what I'm looking for from Buffalo when I do pull the trigger.

I watched Drouin play for 2+ years here in Halifax.  He did have some injury issues while here, but when he is healthy and happy he is pure magic.

I would give Tampa any roster player and / or prospect / pick we have ... except the top 6 players currently on the roster and the 2016 #1.

Would be very intrigued at the idea of getting him. Doubt the Sabres have the juice to make a trade that makes sense for both teams until Ennis is healthy.

"We acknowledge, via communication from his agent, Jonathan Drouin's request to be traded," Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said in a statement. "Moving forward, my sole intention is to act in the best interest of the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey club. In the meantime, Jonathan has been assigned to our American Hockey League affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch, and we expect him to report for practice with the rest of his teammates this Tuesday morning."

Take that! Apparently Stevie Y doesn't mess around.

Edited by The Big Johnson

Sign me up for that, definitely. Drouin is having a bit of difficulty breaking in to the league. but his potential is sky high.

Yup. Tampa doesn't have a ton of leverage here. The coach who hates him just signed an extension and now it's public he wants out, and he's done basically squat at the NHL level to this point.

They have a ton of leverage, they have a deep and talented roster and drouin is being send back down because he can't fight his way into a roster spot.

The kid is still on his ELC, Yzerman can do with him what he wants.    We won't get him for Larsson and a 2nd that is for sure.

this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.