Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Steven Stamkos scored two goals for the Lightning in a 5-2 victory at home over Ottawa yet wasn't selected as any of the three stars. Very minor but I find that to be a little strange.

The three stars were Nesterov with one goal and zero assists, Karlsson (OTT) with one goal and zero assists (36 minutes though) and Angelidis with one goal and zero assists.

Edited by Hoss

Steven Stamkos scored two goals for the Lightning in a 5-2 victory at home over Ottawa yet wasn't selected as any of the three stars. Very minor but I find that to be a little strange.

The three stars were Nesterov with one goal and zero assists, Karlsson (OTT) with one goal and zero assists (36 minutes though) and Angelidis with one goal and zero assists.

That's absolute insanity.

This pure speculation, other than last summer's tire icking, but you can bet GMTM will kick the tires again and you can bet Stamkos will have some interest — location, facility, and ownership reputation are all things that work in our favour now.

Hockey Heaven anyone?

I'm not so sure I want to know what tire icking is. :sick:

I'm sure inky knows.

It would, if we traded for him. I think the article is more about FA possibilities 

but Murray seems happy with the future of the position in the middle of the ice. Besides, there are other contracts that the team will have to worry about in the near future, including that of Eichel and Ristolainen.

And its like the article says, first thing that came to my mind, we wouldn't have room in the long run for, one or maybe two of Girgensons, Reinhart, Eichel and Risto.

Unless the cap goes up by 7 mill in two years wich I don't really see happening yet.

But can you imagine how to the Toronto media would go nuts if he signed with the sabres as UFA, that alone would be worth it.

It's also with noting that Stamkos came out and said the other day that he plans to stay with the Lightning and wants to win a Cup there

Yeah, well, this guy came to my church once begging for money.  One of the church ladies gave him a few bucks.  Then he asked for a ride back to the gas station where his family was.  I knew there was no family waiting for him but decided to drive him there anyway (mostly to get him off the church property).  When he got out of the car he held up the money and said, "I'M GONNA BUY DRUGS WITH THIS!" and ran off.

Stamkos is doing the same thing.  As long as he's playing for TB he'll be a good team player and toe the party line.  As soon as he signs with TO he'll say, "I always hated TB!!!"

It's also with noting that Stamkos came out and said the other day that he plans to stay with the Lightning and wants to win a Cup there

Player speak.

Yeah, well, this guy came to my church once begging for money.  One of the church ladies gave him a few bucks.  Then he asked for a ride back to the gas station where his family was.  I knew there was no family waiting for him but decided to drive him there anyway (mostly to get him off the church property).  When he got out of the car he held up the money and said, "I'M GONNA BUY DRUGS WITH THIS!" and ran off.

Stamkos is doing the same thing.  As long as he's playing for TB he'll be a good team player and toe the party line.  As soon as he signs with TO he'll say, "I always hated TB!!!"

He's not going to say he hated TB.  He'll simply thank the fans for their support and put out some line about wanting to play close to home, etc.

The actions of players have long undermined any of the words they speak (on average). There are exceptions but by and large they always say one thing and do something else. They have to because fans are not logical human beings who accept the reality of the world. 

If Stamkos came out and said, "Hey, you know, I'm going to go into FA and get the best deal. There are markets I have more interest in playing in should the situation be equal to here."  People would lose their minds.  So he can't say it, even if he, his teammates, his coaches, and the Lightning front office all know what's going on.  They all have to play the game to avoid the sideshow that it would become.

Player speak.

He's not going to say he hated TB. He'll simply thank the fans for their support and put out some line about wanting to play close to home, etc.

The actions of players have long undermined any of the words they speak (on average). There are exceptions but by and large they always say one thing and do something else. They have to because fans are not logical human beings who accept the reality of the world.

If Stamkos came out and said, "Hey, you know, I'm going to go into FA and get the best deal. There are markets I have more interest in playing in should the situation be equal to here." People would lose their minds. So he can't say it, even if he, his teammates, his coaches, and the Lightning front office all know what's going on. They all have to play the game to avoid the sideshow that it would become.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd much prefer that from players. I find nothing more obnoxious than continually insulting our collective intelligence with feel-good nonsense.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd much prefer that from players. I find nothing more obnoxious than continually insulting our collective intelligence with feel-good nonsense.

How miserable is his life the next 5 months if he did that though? It's not so much insulting people's intelligence as it is self-preservation.

And on the off chance he isn't absolutely dead set on leaving, what does he gain by burning a bridge?

How miserable is his life the next 5 months if he did that though? It's not so much insulting people's intelligence as it is self-preservation.

And on the off chance he isn't absolutely dead set on leaving, what does he gain by burning a bridge?

I agree on both of these.

I also think it's likely that he's not dead set on leaving -- but he is dead set on seeing whether he can get, say, 25% more cash in free agency than TB is offering him.

You're not.  The thing is that the alternative has to be something along the lines of the GM speak: "We'll evaluate all options and choose the one that's right for us."  Again, saying nothing while still saying something.

I'd love to have the straight truth... but the general public couldn't handle it.

Oh, I don't blame them for doing it, I'd do the same thing in their shoes. I despise that it's necessary.

Being honest about being interested in seeing what's out there shouldn't be a bridge burner, even if for many it would be.

If Stamkos came out and said, "Hey, you know, I'm going to go into FA and get the best deal. There are markets I have more interest in playing in should the situation be equal to here."  People would lose their minds.  So he can't say it, even if he, his teammates, his coaches, and the Lightning front office all know what's going on.  They all have to play the game to avoid the sideshow that it would become.

That was kind of my point:  You can't take anything he says (or doesn't say) on the subject as any more than politically correct platitudes.  He's going along to get along, then he will do his own thing at the end of the season.

Can Tampa survive a Stamkos departure?

Do they trade him?  If the rumor is that he's going to sign with Toronto for sure, no team will give full value unless that team simply wants him for a playoff run and nothing more.

Zack Greinke has said before that it's about who will pay him the most. Different sports/payrolls, but the honesty is refreshing.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/21767425/honest-greinke-who-admits-was-top-consideration-made-texas-offer-before-la-deal

When talking about trades and speculation it's worth remembering the upcoming free agent class... UFAs can be seen here:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/

Top five UFAs by position (in order)

Left wing:

Andrew Ladd (WPG)

Milan Lucic (LAK)

Mikkel Boedker (ARI)

Teddy Purcell (EDM)

Jamie McGinn (BUF)

Center:

Steven Stamkos (TB)

Anze Kopitar (LAK)

David Backes (STL)

Frans Nielsen (NYI)

Eric Staal (CAR)

Right wing:

Jiri Hudler (CGY)

Loui Eriksson (BOS)

Jaromir Jagr (FLA)

Radim Vrbata (VAN)

Troy Brouwer (STL)

Defense:

Keith Yandle (NYR)

Dustin Byfuglien (WPG)

Alex Goligoski (DAL)

Jason Demers (SJ)

Marek Zidlicky (NYI)

Goalies:

James Reimer (TOR)

Cam Talbot (EDM)

Chad Johnson (BUF)

Jonas Hiller (CGY)

Jhonas Enroth (LAK)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.