Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I'm good with something around Ennis and salary back to cover the difference.  Drouin would have time for the remainder of the season to gel with Eichel or O'Reilly and show the talent that he has.  He's a total buy low candidate.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

Wow, that article contained this gem:

Following his agent's statement Sunday, a return to Tampa Bay may be unlikely should the organization grant Drouin his request to move on and trade him.

Yea i think the timeline was he a requested a trade because he was sent down, not sent down bc of the request. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/drouins-next-move-will-determine-how-messy-this-situation-becomes/ 

I've been to a ton of Lightning games and Druoin never really sticks out as a wow he's gonna be great some day kinda player. He's fast to be sure, but at this point he's more grigorenko than sure fire prospect. 

He certainly hasnt' been earning more ice time, and that org isn't going ot hand ice time to players who haven't earned it.  He's also not really good in his own end yet so he can't be trusted with top line minutes.  

Take that! Apparently Stevie Y doesn't mess around.

Yzerman is IMPO a very good GM. 

Yea i think the timeline was he a requested a trade because he was sent down, not sent down bc of the request. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/drouins-next-move-will-determine-how-messy-this-situation-becomes/ 

I've been to a ton of Lightning games and Druoin never really sticks out as a wow he's gonna be great some day kinda player. He's fast to be sure, but at this point he's more grigorenko than sure fire prospect. 

He certainly hasnt' been earning more ice time, and that org isn't going ot hand ice time to players who haven't earned it.  He's also not really good in his own end yet so he can't be trusted with top line minutes.  

Honestly I think Drouin needs a year in the AHL. Next season though I would put him on Eichel's wing and get Kane with ROR and Reinhart. 

Honestly I think Drouin needs a year in the AHL. Next season though I would put him on Eichel's wing and get Kane with ROR and Reinhart. 

Wouldn't you say that he'd (Drouin) be an upgrade over any player outside of Kane that they could pair Eichel with.  He's gone between a combination Zemgus, Gionta, Kane, Ennis and Moulson a lot lately.  I would say letting Drouin figure it out with a team that clearly is at best finishing 10th-11th in the conference would be no different than spending it in the AHL. 

Wouldn't you say that he'd (Drouin) be an upgrade over any player outside of Kane that they could pair Eichel with.  He's gone between a combination Zemgus, Gionta, Kane, Ennis and Moulson a lot lately.  I would say letting Drouin figure it out with a team that clearly is at best finishing 10th-11th in the conference would be no different than spending it in the AHL. 

Yea he prob needs another year in american league, but i don't think he's willing to do that right now.  It's a tough spot for him and any team that has his rights.  He kinda got screwed by the rules a lot like Grigo, too good for Quebec league but couldn't go to AHL after being drafted so was forced to go back to Q where he reinforced his no defense habits. 

Even this year with lots of guys underachieving, as opposed to last year's TBL, he can't climb the roster. He's also been hurt too which has impacted that of course. 

I guess the real question is what do you give up for him, 

AHL game moves slower, he can work on his game, and he would get 18-20mins of ice a night.  Wouldn't hurt him at all to work on things in the AHL. If the trade were done, I would be okay with him playing in Buffalo though. 

Would you trade the Buffalo Sabres 2016 1st round selection for jonathan drouin?

AHL game moves slower, he can work on his game, and he would get 18-20mins of ice a night.  Wouldn't hurt him at all to work on things in the AHL. If the trade were done, I would be okay with him playing in Buffalo though. 

Would you trade the Buffalo Sabres 2016 1st round selection for jonathan drouin?

Nope, draft is in Buffalo this year. Plus the chance for Matthews is still possible.

There is no chance under any condition that I am trading the 1st round pick.  Right now that's: Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine, Jesse Puljujarvi or Jacob Chychrun.  At a reasonable trade for undervalue.  :D

I would be disappointed if Reinhart is on anyone's wing next year.  He needs to be a Center.

If we're trading for Drouin it's to play him in the NHL... Otherwise you're damaging the relationship from the start. Him being in the AHL is the reason we're here.

32 points in 70 games isn't a terrible rookie season. Should be scoring more goals, but we say his primary points numbers and they're up there for the little ice time he got.

I would be disappointed if Reinhart is on anyone's wing next year. He needs to be a Center.

Do we really want him on the third line? I'm not longer thinking we should just push O'Reilly to the wing... He's been dominant as a center. I want to keep him there until we have a real reason to move him.

Why? O'Reilly is great, Eichel is better, and Samson has looked just fine on the wing. I don't see a compelling reason to force a major change.

I agree and I spent months bitching about the idea of Reinhart at wing. As long as he is on ROR's right, I am content.

Why? O'Reilly is great, Eichel is better, and Samson has looked just fine on the wing. I don't see a compelling reason to force a major change.

I feel Sam's true talent lies in being a center.  While showing improvement at wing, I think he will be more productive at center.  He is not a pure scorer for a top line wing.  JMHO.

I feel Sam's true talent lies in being a center.  While showing improvement at wing, I think he will be more productive at center.  He is not a pure scorer for a top line wing.  JMHO.

So, what move are you making to put him at C? Does he or O'Reilly drop to line 3? Does O'Reilly move to W? Does Eichel move to W? Do one of the 3 get traded?

Those are the only options to get him to C. Do ANY of them make the Sabres (not Reinhart, the Sabres) better this season or next? It doesn't look like it from here, and not sure that it will necessarily bring more out of Reinhart than playing on O'Reilly's wing is getting.

Those 3 need to be on the top 2 scoring lines. Honestly, for short bursts, it would be interesting to see the 3 together.

So, what move are you making to put him at C? Does he or O'Reilly drop to line 3? Does O'Reilly move to W? Does Eichel move to W? Do one of the 3 get traded?

Those are the only options to get him to C. Do ANY of them make the Sabres (not Reinhart, the Sabres) better this season or next? It doesn't look like it from here, and not sure that it will necessarily bring more out of Reinhart than playing on O'Reilly's wing is getting.

Those 3 need to be on the top 2 scoring lines. Honestly, for short bursts, it would be interesting to see the 3 together.

I could see ROR playing wing in a year or 2.  We drafted him to play center.  

Edited by 3putt

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-faceoff-statistics/2015/

ROR currently leads all centers in FO% so I doubt he moves to the wing.

He could still take faceoffs as a wing.

He's been phenomenal at center.  I would rather not see him move.

You can take the faceoff and then play wing.  We do that now with Kane.

pfffft.  Sez you.  First.   :cry:

I'd send Tampa Baptiste and our 2nd for 2016 and 2017 for Drouin If they want Larsson & Baptiste instead I might do that.

It's been a while since you uncorked one of these.  Strangely refreshing.

I'm stealing this from Joe Yerdon of NHL.com, but the comparable recent deals are Nino Niederreiter (traded three years after being picked 5th overall) and Kyle Turris (traded four and a half years after being drafted 3rd overall).

Turris went to Ottawa for David Rundblad and a second.

Niederreiter went to Minnesota for Cal Clutterbuck and a third.

So this likely isn't going to be nearly as expensive as well think.

I would say Ennis and a 2nd plus maybe another small piece.

Interesting comparables, but not quite analogous.  Drouin is fresher and was a higher pick.  I think the roster player coming back for him -- as indicated by your proposal -- has to be better than Rundblad or Clutterbuck.

Why would Tampa want Ennis? He's smaller than Drouin and has a lower ceiling. He's never scored more than 21 goals in a season. And now he has injury problems. Most teams could put together a better offer.

They'd ask for Girgensons or Pysyk (or both), and I'd pass on that. We don't have a ton of depth and, unfortunately, most of our best trade assets (that aren't untouchable) are already gone.

I think you're right about Zemgus or Pysyk, but I can see them being interested in Ennis, who is a fairly proven commodity as a top-6 NHL forward who can score and has speed and sandpaper in his game.

The Zemgus/Pysyk idea is kinda interesting.  Drouin put up a ton of points in the Q, was drafted high, got sent back to juniors in his first season post-draft, played 70 games in the NHL in his 2nd season post-draft, putting up respectable numbers, and is now in the doghouse in his 3rd season post-draft.  His ceiling is more or less unknown.

OTOH, Pysyk's ceiling is probably solid 2nd-pairing D, and Zemgus' ceiling is probably solid #3 center.  Both of those are valuable assets to an NHL team, but not as precious as a 70+-point LW, which is what Drouin MIGHT develop into.  Would GMTM be interested in trading known assets for unknown potential?

I tend to guess that he wouldn't in this case, because Drouin doesn't play the "heavy" game that GMTM likes.

The last thing they need is another defenseman.

This seems overstated.  Their D group isn't like Nashville's.  TB could easily view Pysyk as an upgrade at #4.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.