Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Well, using the #3 overall pick on a guy is a big investment for a franchise, IMHO.  You don't just fire-sale that investment after 2.25 seasons.

He's a sunk cost.  Evaluate and choose based on what's best for the team, not on what you spent for him almost 3 seasons ago.  

I think Stamkos goes elsewhere for a shorter term like 4 years, then heads to Toronto if they're good.

Additionally the Leafs should be fined for collusion after that radio station debacle.

I'm not sure taking a shorter deal is worth it in the NHL when you've already established yourself as an elite player.

Also, why would a radio station get the team fined? Sure, TSN is a minority owner of the Leafs but this is just an affiliate station and not the company itself.

The Leafs are at least 2-3 years away from win now mode. Doesn't mean I'm counting them out though

If it is about cups (this year notwithstanding), not many teams closer than Tampa.

It would be very interesting to see what Yzerman could get if he auctioned him off.

I mean in addition to Marner/Nylander and this year's first.

The closest similar auction I can recall recently is O'Reilly, but there must be better comparisons.

I'm not sure taking a shorter deal is worth it in the NHL when you've already established yourself as an elite player.

Also, why would a radio station get the team fined? Sure, TSN is a minority owner of the Leafs but this is just an affiliate station and not the company itself.

Ok, I'd give them a warning though.

My guess right now is Stamkos is as good as a leaf but who knows.  Bob McKenzie said yesterday that the leafs would be a favorite but if he was to bet if Stamkos does not resign in Tampa and it's between Toronto or the rest of the field, he would take the field.  I think I would still take Toronto.

I don't believe a thing that guy says but for the sake of speculation:

Boedker is a 25-year-old left winger who has 11-11-22 through 30 games. UFA at the end of this season.

Jones is a 31-year-old right winger who has 7-4-11 and is a UFA at the end of this season.

Jones would likely be pretty cheap. Good depth guy.

Boedker would be more expensive but considering how much trouble they've had getting contract talks with him going in the right direction he could probably be had. I would trade Ennis for him straight up if I felt we could get a contract signed.

Torts gonna Torts.

Without knowing a single thing about his time with his new club, other than this, I will conclude that his was among the worst hires in recent memory.

Check out this bit from a recent write-up. So a team is generating chances, but not finishing, and the coach's reaction is to punish someone rather than chalk it up to puck luck and encourage the guys to keep going? That's Master Idiot level stuff.

Tortorella didn’t give a reason why Johansen saw the bench on Tuesday, but he was clearly frustrated with his team’s offensive effort against Dallas. “We had probably over 20 scoring chances in that game. But we don’t score,” he said.

“We had chances. That was our whole mindset tonight: To have some sort of arrogance to our game,” he continued. “When I first came here, our first five, six, seven games, our pinching was there, our forechecking was there, our arrogance was there.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-johansen-benched-by-john-tortorella-in-blue-jackets--loss-061424301.html

Back to the Columbus of old. I wonder where Johansen goes and what he fetches 

And this, among other reasons, is why this city doesn't even care that the Blue Jackets exist.  They have always been a poorly run franchise that would likely not exist in Columbus under a free-market, sink or swim scenario.

Edited by EastsideOasis

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.