Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

I think he was trying to field a team that wasn't too good to have a shot at McDavid.  The fact that they totally tanked was serendipitous. 

Bull hockey, but that part I don't mind and the fact that TN he doesn't think is the right guy for the job is ok too, but why hold on to him for a year...  You and other TM true believers can't have it both ways...

I think he wasn't ready to deal the TN year 1, didn't have the balls to face the fans quite yet and instead of saying TN wasn't his guy, he tried to lay blame on TN despite ripping the team apart and giving TN players that couldn't find a net if you gave them both and N and T.   Not saying he didn't make some good moves too, luv Bogo, hated Staphyl, was sad to see Myers go...  Very concerned about Kane, somehow that will be a cluster. 

None of TMs later pics last year seem to be panning out... Lemieux was a cluster that forced a trade... should have known that going in.  Very mixed bag so far for such a control freak...  He needs to do a lot better in this draft with more than just the top pick which is a gimme and really needs two of last year's pics to come through.  At least Darcy could draft D....  Can Murray draft centers and forwards and can the Sabres develop some?  These second rounders need to be worth something talent wise and so far its looking very iffy.

Edited by North Buffalo

I couldn't take any more.  This is the post to end this thread.  Well stated and agree 100%.  Too may youth soccer players in this thread.  You know, the entitled to happiness and a trophy just for showing up without putting in the time and effort to actually "WIN" anything.  Oh, sorry...a little about me.  Born Dec 1960.  Grew up with the French Connection, Duds, Rammer, Luuuuuuuuuuuce, Spinner Spencer, Danny Gare, JK, JS, JG, LC, LF, BH etc. and every Sabre since.  Went to bed listeing to RJ.  Retired AF currently living in South MS...last stop for the AF.  In the big picture, 1.5yrs is light speed for the tear down GMTM had to do.  Let's revisit this thread at year three A.T.

A few years older than you, but we have similar experiences.  You didn't mention Ted Darling, Roger Crozier or the girl who skated around the rink with a sword that she threw into the net.  I hope the memories yet to come make me smile like the ones mentioned here.

I'm retired AF as well, but left Keesler for Peterson as my last assignment.

But Murray had said long before the deadline he wasn't going to let any players go into free agency and get nothing in return. If the Sabres were 10 points  higher in the standings, he was going to keep Enroth and/or Neuvirth for the "stretch drive"? This take on the season is wonderfully revisionist: Murray didn't expect 30th and only was forced into tanking by Nolan's disappointing performance.

How is it that we ban a certain poster here for "libel" against a member of the Sabres front office, but this kind of comment, repeated often, doesn't apparently get any attention from the moderators?

You are correct and I apologize.  I should have looked it up before I wrote.  It was only a rumor.  My recollection was it was stated so often and didn't Hasek go after Nolan for seemingly no reason?  I just assumed there was something to what I kept hearing as an explanation.  I will be much more careful.

A few years older than you, but we have similar experiences.  You didn't mention Ted Darling, Roger Crozier or the girl who skated around the rink with a sword that she threw into the net.  I hope the memories yet to come make me smile like the ones mentioned here.

Oh man, I was there for the spangled figure skaters throwing sabres into the nets between periods as the refs skated by! I was only 6, but even I knew they weren't real swords (there was no blood).

I couldn't take any more.  This is the post to end this thread.  Well stated and agree 100%.  Too may youth soccer players in this thread.  You know, the entitled to happiness and a trophy just for showing up without putting in the time and effort to actually "WIN" anything.  Oh, sorry...a little about me.  Born Dec 1960.  Grew up with the French Connection, Duds, Rammer, Luuuuuuuuuuuce, Spinner Spencer, Danny Gare, JK, JS, JG, LC, LF, BH etc. and every Sabre since.  Went to bed listeing to RJ.  Retired AF currently living in South MS...last stop for the AF.  In the big picture, 1.5yrs is light speed for the tear down GMTM had to do.  Let's revisit this thread at year three A.T.

Oh man, I was there for the spangled figure skaters throwing sabres into the nets between periods as the refs skated by! I was only 6, but even I knew they weren't real swords (there was no blood).

Anyone else just really happy to see some new people posting on the board?

Please continue.

I believe that if GMTM honestly thought that Ted Nolan is a coach with the ability to take the team to the Stanley Cup finals,  then Ted Nolan would still have his job.

Obviously, that is not the case.   

Bulls eye.

1. TM can't say, "yeah, I knew we'd be terrible this year" without repercussions from the League.

2. When he said, "I don't think the team will be last this year", that could also be the truth. Between the players he brought in and Nolan's magic, he may well have thought (or rather feared) they'd be better than they were this year.

3. If Nolan and Murray weren't communicating, it's entirely reasonable that they'd part ways at the end of the season. Who knows, maybe Nolan even wanted out as he wants more say in things than TM will give him.

I believe that if GMTM honestly thought that Ted Nolan is a coach with the ability to take the team to the Stanley Cup finals, then Ted Nolan would still have his job.

Obviously, that is not the case.

I believe that if GMTM honestly thought that Ted Nolan is a coach with the ability to take the team to the Stanley Cup finals, then Ted Nolan would have been given a 3 year contract.

Obviously, that is the case.

If you believe Murray wasn't trying to ice one of the worst teams in league history, and was actually shooting for something north of 30th place, then doesn't he deserve some criticism, at the very least for hiring such a terrible coach? You can't have it both ways.

No. Because he didn't hire Nolan. And he had no option but to give him an extension (based on the vibes I get about the whole thing).

The comment from Murray I find interesting is the communication one.  Last time I checked, the coach served at the pleasure of the GM.  If I went long stretches without communicating with my boss, I'm pretty sure I would not have a job.  Conversely, if I went long stretches without communicating with my subordinates, then that would make me a terrible boss.  Seems to me these two guys were setting up the terms of their divorce long before we knew it.  So what we have is a terrible employee and a terrible boss.  And it sure seems deliberate to me.

No. Because he didn't hire Nolan. And he had no option but to give him an extension (based on the vibes I get about the whole thing).

I've read your signature many times. What does it mean??????

My other thread thought is this: I listened to Murray's comments again about interviewing the players, and I don't see how a "narrative" emerges from that about the players wanting Nolan out. I really don't. What am I missing?

I've read your signature many times. What does it mean??????

My other thread thought is this: I listened to Murray's comments again about interviewing the players, and I don't see how a "narrative" emerges from that about the players wanting Nolan out. I really don't. What am I missing?

Jesus, if YOU can't find a narrative...

:p

That is pretty cool.  I don't remember that at all and as another oldster, born in 60, I watched the Sabres as much as I could.  I think that would be such a cool thing to bring back for the team.  Play the Sabre Dance and have them thrown into the nets between periods.

...None of TMs later pics last year seem to be panning out... Lemieux was a cluster that forced a trade... should have known that going in.  Very mixed bag so far for such a control freak...  He needs to do a lot better in this draft with more than just the top pick which is a gimme and really needs two of last year's pics to come through.  At least Darcy could draft D....  Can Murray draft centers and forwards and can the Sabres develop some?  These second rounders need to be worth something talent wise and so far its looking very iffy.

How was it predictable that Lemieux was gonna cop an attitude about being sent back to the minors? 

GO SABRES!!!

I don't think his problem was being sent to the minors.  I think he specifically stated he wouldn't sign with the Sabres (although I'm not sure the quote was exactly that).  The Sabres owned his rights but he never signed an entry level contract.  He had a bit of a chip on his shoulder after slipping to the second round and (inexplicably to me) seemed to hold it against the Sabres.

The major part i read about this press conference, is that murray said he decided on firing nolan after 6hrs of player interviews.

All the people who said he was a great coach and the players loved him, should rethink this.   Yeah they say he is a great guy, but if they loved his coaching then he'd still be around im sure.

I don't think his problem was being sent to the minors.  I think he specifically stated he wouldn't sign with the Sabres (although I'm not sure the quote was exactly that).  The Sabres owned his rights but he never signed an entry level contract.  He had a bit of a chip on his shoulder after slipping to the second round and (inexplicably to me) seemed to hold it against the Sabres.

I'm just going by what the WGR guys were saying about Lemieux this morning; that he was convinced he was good enough and should have been allowed to stay with the Sabres and that he resented the decision to send him back to the minors. If Lemieux and his dad told the Sabres that he wasn't going to sign with Buffalo BEFORE the draft, then yes, Murray and Co. should have been wiser. I don't think that was the case and I don't think his decision not to sign was predictable.

I also get the impression that he and his agent dad think he should have been a first round pick and they weren't going to settle for second round money. That's not on Murray, either. 

GO SABRES!!!

And he was AHL ineligible. That was the last thing Buffalo needed at the moment was to burn a contract with a kid stuck between the NHL and Juniors. 

This has definitely taken on a life of its own, but never been satisfactorily explained anywhere I've seen.

On the record, Lemieux was very upset about not being picked in the first round, but he's only said very positive things about the Sabres.

There was one tweet from a regional (TSN or Sportsnet?) reporter saying he wasn't going to sign in Buffalo.

Murray later said he was offered a contract and didn't accept it, but that wasn't a factor in the trade.

Beyond that, I've only seen a lot of internet speculation based on those two quotes.

I think it's not a leap to conclude the Sabres offered second-round money and Lemieux turned it down believing he was was worth 1st-round money. Nothing unusual about that, considering he still had two seasons to convince the Sabres otherwise. (See Justin Bailey).

Don't have enough information to draw any more conclusions.

Edited by dudacek

I'm just going by what the WGR guys were saying about Lemieux this morning; that he was convinced he was good enough and should have been allowed to stay with the Sabres and that he resented the decision to send him back to the minors.

But he was never "up with the Sabres" in terms of actual game play.  I suppose he attended the prospects camp, but he has never been under contract to any aspect of the Buffalo Sabres organization.  So talk of "sending him down" isn't really accurate.  He was never "up."

This has definitely taken on a life of its own, but never been satisfactorily explained anywhere I've seen.

On the record, Lemieux was very upset about not being picked in the first round, but he's only said very positive things about the Sabres.

There was one tweet from a regional (TSN or Sportsnet?) reporter saying he wasn't going to sign in Buffalo.

Murray later said he was offered a contract and didn't accept it, but that wasn't a factor in the trade.

Beyond that, I've only seen a lot of internet speculation based on those two quotes.

I think it's not a leap to conclude the Sabres offered second-round money and Lemieux turned it down believing he was was worth 1st-round money. Don't have enough information to draw any more conclusions.

I think that's a pretty good summary from what I remember.  Thanks for that.

I think it's not a leap to conclude the Sabres offered second-round money and Lemieux turned it down believing he was was worth 1st-round money. Nothing unusual about that, considering he still had two seasons to convince the Sabres otherwise. (See Justin Bailey).

Don't have enough information to draw any more conclusions.

I think this is accurate. 

The major part i read about this press conference, is that murray said he decided on firing nolan after 6hrs of player interviews.

All the people who said he was a great coach and the players loved him, should rethink this.   Yeah they say he is a great guy, but if they loved his coaching then he'd still be around im sure.

It could be both. After hours of interviews, maybe most of the players talked about how much the liked Nolan, etc., but if TM asked players what they learned over the season maybe the answers weren't good enough. We don't know, and can't know unless someone starts talking (unlikely) so I figure it's time to move on.

I'll let the market decide: if Nolan is a head coach in the NHL next year it's possible TM got it wrong. If every other team passes on him, TM probably got it right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.