Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

Oh i agree Patty had no idea how to play in primetime and Murray took advantage of it for his own gain. Not sure that benefits the sabres though.

I can easily see where it benefits the Sabres.  If PLF and GMTM had vastly differing visions of the direction the club should take, better to get one of them out of the picture.  If PLF's vision was to patch the club up and make a playoff run without a total rebuild, I'm glad he's the one that left.

Fine you disagree, buy if it walks like a duck... Starting to see a concerning pattern. Hey i have my bias and you guys seem to think Murray is a shiny new toy. I'll admit it if i am wrong, but if this Murray experiment craps the bed it will set Sabres back even more... A lot will depend on his choice for the next coach... And yes it will be his choice this time.

Can't get much worse than last place 2 years in row.

Can't get much worse than last place 2 years in row.

I think it could: making the playoffs every 2-3 years and getting bounced in the first round, and just missing the playoffs the other years.

Edited by Met'yuPirog

I think it could: making the playoffs every 2-3 years and getting bounced in the first round, and just missing the playoffs the other years.

Didn't we already do that? That was the whole point of all this right?

With Eichel and Reinhart as our two centers in the future, unless a Drury/Briere black Sunday happens, we will be in the playoffs every year going forward.

Didn't we already do that? That was the whole point of all this right?

With Eichel and Reinhart as our two centers in the future, unless a Drury/Briere black Sunday happens, we will be in the playoffs every year going forward.

I think that was his point.

What did you want Murray to do?  Come out and say what we all know, that Nolan is not up to the minimum standard of an NHL coach?  That he sucks?  He's not going to do that; it's called tact.

Vs. weasel? really Nolan sucks who are you Mike Millbury?

I can easily see where it benefits the Sabres.  If PLF and GMTM had vastly differing visions of the direction the club should take, better to get one of them out of the picture.  If PLF's vision was to patch the club up and make a playoff run without a total rebuild, I'm glad he's the one that left.

Which begs the question that if you have such opposing view, why did you hire that guy in the first place?  Every defense I've ever heard for LaFontaine leaving implies that he was a buffoon.

Fine you disagree, buy if it walks like a duck... Starting to see a concerning pattern. Hey i have my bias and you guys seem to think Murray is a shiny new toy. I'll admit it if i am wrong, but if this Murray experiment craps the bed it will set Sabres back even more... A lot will depend on his choice for the next coach... And yes it will be his choice this time.

If it walks like a duck is usually used when there's a duck involved.  If you say it walks like a duck but everyone else sees a lion then it doesn't really apply.  If any hiring, draft pick, decision craps the bed it sets things back, that's pretty much how it works.

Which begs the question that if you have such opposing view, why did you hire that guy in the first place?  Every defense I've ever heard for LaFontaine leaving implies that he was a buffoon.

Winning favor with the Sabres fans. Not that it ended well or was a particularly well thought out decision in the first place it seems.

Maybe PLF didn't ask the right questions in the interview.  Maybe he did but heard what he wanted to hear.  Maybe the questions he asked were more about evaluating Murray's ability to do the job than about the plan he had for the team.  He might have asked, "What kind of forwards do you prefer?" and TM replied, "Big, tough, but talented ones."  Maybe PLF never asked the follow-up question of "How do you plan to fill the team with forwards like that?"

You might say that paints PLF as a buffoon, but really (and I know NB doesn't agree), I think PLF asked the right questions because I think the team is doing what it needs to do under GMTM's guidance.  Perhaps the fact that how PLF wanted to get there differed from what GMTM wanted to do was discovered after the hire.  There were probably some discussions with TPegs and his management staff, and they backed GMTM and told PLF to shut up and color.  PLF couldn't do that, so he was out.  TN, on the other hand, decided to shut up and color.  He ended up creating a true work of shart.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

You know what's more pathetic? The fact that for some reason you think my opinion is less worthy than anyone else in this thread. 13 pages worth, and you're going to single me out to 'let it go'? I know you and Numark have this obsession with me and follow me wherever I go, but it's starting to get creepy. Lighten up Princess you're not as important as you think you are.

Well you keep saying you are leaving these forums but keep coming back to say goofy stuff that is never on point. Maybe stop announcing you are leaving? Maybe start posting non crazy stuff?

no one is stalking you.  There is no group think.  The reason no one ever agrees with you (besides the one other random person who is is never agreed with) is because your views are always off.  Sorry.  Forums have trolls, its not that they are a individual thinking off the beaten path, its just they are annoying

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

Yeh I am not sure this was about direction rather than control, but maybe.  Either way, LaFontaine was ill prepared for how Murray played the game and Nolan knew he wasn't there.  True that is how to be successful in a short term.  But it also burns bridges and we will see how long this lasts.

Then it begs the question can Murray find a coach that will work with him and will he relinquish some control and literally work with that coach, not serve as overlord.  Conscensus building is crucial for positions of leadership.  Letting people take credit for their ideas while still shepherding them in the necessary direction is critical to building a successful organization and showing leadership.

Remains to be seen if Murray has the chops for this and his recent way of going about it does not bode well despite all of the apologists.  The choice for next coach will be insightful.

Yeh I am not sure this was about direction rather than control, but maybe.  Either way, LaFontaine was ill prepared for how Murray played the game and Nolan knew he wasn't there.  True that is how to be successful in a short term.  But it also burns bridges and we will see how long this lasts.

Then it begs the question can Murray find a coach that will work with him and will he relinquish some control and literally work with that coach, not serve as overlord.  Conscensus building is crucial for positions of leadership.  Letting people take credit for their ideas while still shepherding them in the necessary direction is critical to building a successful organization and showing leadership.

Remains to be seen if Murray has the chops for this and his recent way of going about it does not bode well despite all of the apologists.  The choice for next coach will be insightful.

From all indications, Murray didn't serve as overlord at all. He gave Nolan freedom to hire his coaches, select his lineups, pick his lines and run his system. And with that rope Nolan hung himself.

The bold is certainly true.

Edited by dudacek

From all indications, Murray didn't serve as overlord at all. He gave Nolan freedom to hire his coaches, select his lineups, pick his lines and run his system. And with that rope Nolan hung himself.

The bold is certainly true.

By agreeing with the bolded part of the Rabble Rousers point, I don't think you give credence to Murray's DNA. Bloodlines have him in the role he is well suited for and astonishingly groomed for.

If you don't think he has the chops for it I wonder what you really see in him. Are you suggesting he's like Larry Robinson? Great assistant coach and reluctant head coach? GMTM has been brought along and is more than ready for this role as he is proving. And all while keeping some dignity for the owner.  We will be a difficult team to play against next year.

Unless of course we have a Nolan type coach who just wants you try harder while being outshot 2-1 most nights. Any of the coach's that I expect to be coming here I don't think that happens.

By agreeing with the bolded part of the Rabble Rousers point, I don't think you give credence to Murray's DNA. Bloodlines have him in the role he is well suited for and astonishingly groomed for.

If you don't think he has the chops for it I wonder what you really see in him. Are you suggesting he's like Larry Robinson? Great assistant coach and reluctant head coach? GMTM has been brought along and is more than ready for this role as he is proving. And all while keeping some dignity for the owner.  We will be a difficult team to play against next year.

Unless of course we have a Nolan type coach who just wants you try harder while being outshot 2-1 most nights. Any of the coach's that I expect to be coming here I don't think that happens.

Give the next coach the same lineup Nolan had this year and he'll get outshot 2:1 as well. You know it and I know it. Stop making it seem like it had something to do with Nolan. And god forbid a coach preaches work ethic, that bastard. I think we need a coach that lets players float all night. 

What do you suggest we talk about? 

The playoffs, the next head coach, FA, the draft....anything but if Ted Nolan is a good coach or not. Everyone knows where everyone else stands, and it's been pretty evident for a month or so.

But it's a free forum, so if this is what people really want to discuss, have at it. It's probably my fault that I keep on opening the thread 

What are you talking about?  Serving as overlord?  Murray is the GM.  He is supposed to be in charge.  Nolan was the one who tried to sabotage the long-term management strategy by not developing the young players with patience, riding the hottest goalie like we were trying to make the playoffs and using the tank talk as a motivational tool to try and eek a few more wins out of the team that almost cost us a 100% shot at McEichel.  Half the board was complaining that Murray should have demanded Nolan sit Lindbeck and others to ensure the tank but Murray allowed Nolan to coach. 

It seemed that Murray did not mettle with Nolan other than trade assets who were going to walk at the end of the year and make the one big trade for Kane sending two guys we were losing with anyway.  Worth the risk in my opinion.  Murray just watched Nolan be antagonistic like he's been with other GMs and got rid of him when the season ended for a fresh start.  I don't understand why everyone thinks Nolan is such a great coach.  True, he didn't have much to work with but we weren't in the tank until January when the master motivator couldn't coax one win out of the team.  At that point you have to complete the tank and Nolan seemed unwilling to get on the same page as Murray.  Murray needs someone he trusts to coach for him and I don't blame him.

The playoffs, the next head coach, FA, the draft....anything but if Ted Nolan is a good coach or not. Everyone knows where everyone else stands, and it's been pretty evident for a month or so.

But it's a free forum, so if this is what people really want to discuss, have at it. It's probably my fault that I keep on opening the thread 

I got the impression that many here were warming up to him since the trade deadline. Of course that thread was deleted. It wasn't until he got fired when everybody started piling on. Not unlike when Chris Stewart go traded. 

I got the impression that many here were warming up to him since the trade deadline. Of course that thread was deleted. It wasn't until he got fired when everybody started piling on. Not unlike when Chris Stewart go traded. 

I don't really recall people's attitudes towards Nolan's besides a few select posters I had lengthy conversations with. 

Myself, I did like Nolan for a bit; he was instilling some character into what has been for years a characterless locker room. It was great for the young guys too. But, this was also my first Nolan experience, and as the season went on it became clear, IMO, that there is more to coaching than an attitude, and he simply can't do it.

So I'm not being disingenuous when I say I'm happy Nolan was fired. Nor, I suspect, are some of the other posters who feel likewise falling victim to mob-mentality. It's sports, and you always want to believe your team has done the right thing, so there will always be a contingent of fans who will agree with every move a franchise makes based on hope. Blaming people for not liking him based on group-think can easily be reversed; I can say you and others only like him because you want to go against the crowd, and wouldn't do so otherwise. I'm not saying that though, because it would be an absurd assumption based on nothing other than your professed opinions, which can be based on anything. 

It seems like your argument is more in aimed at reminding people of their original stances than anything else, and I just don't understand why. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.