Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

Don't really matter, with half the place changing their name every other day I don't even know who is saying what. 

Let repetitive threads die on their own, the redundant conversations are better left there, if not they're just dragged into newer ones.

That and their avatars.  :w00t:

See eleven's narrative; Murray built a team that he thought would be better, but not enough to not be in the lottery. When it was clear the team wasn't even going to meet those meager expectations, he did what any GM would do and went full bore for 30th.

That's been my narrative all season.

Murray inherited Nolan, but gave him a shot to prove himself.

They didn't click personally, the team didn't perform as well as Murray expected them to and (most importantly) the kids didn't grow the way he needed them to.

Teds a good man, and I could see why some are disappointed he lost his job.

But this is one of the least surprising firings I can recall.

Godspeed, Ted ....

You maintained your dignity during a ****storm.

You're not a perfect match for a ZFG boss - perhaps not for a ZFG career. Everything means everything to you. I admire your humanity.

Karma is a bitch Murray. It would serve you right if you didn't get the number one pick and had Eichel instead. (and lets be honest, McDavid is who we want) Then ask yourself, does Babcock come with Eichel in tow and not McDavid? Karma is a bitch if Babcock doesn't end up here either. Now it will get very interesting to see who coaches this club. This could go south in a hurry sportsfans. What looked so promising at one point may turn out completely different. Going to be one hell of a summer in Western New York. Sure there is a load of talented youngsters in Buffalo's future. Hopw we get "the right coach" for them now. This rebuild gets seriously slower if there is no McDavid and no Babcock. You heard it here first. If it is Luke Richardson (whom I liked as a player) I wish him all the best and hope he shoves it right up my @$$! I have to say, if we don't get McDavid, I will start to worry.

ha ha ha load of crap.

I think Murray summarizes the entire presser perfectly in the last 30 seconds or so. All of the people hating on Murray for this haven't SEEN this presser and that last 30 seconds. Murray wants to improve the team, and he means it. He didn't think keeping Nolan here was going to contribute to the scope of improvement he wants to see. What else is he supposed to do?

I don't know , this really wasn't surprising that he was fired.   But that he was fired this quick.

Tim just got alot more respect from me, he doesn't ###### about.   He had the time to evaluate him all season long, season is over lets start on the next one.

Ted nolan was liked by alot of fans, but i really couldn't care about him anymore.  I liked him more last year than this one, i just expected him to improve the young guys faster.

Good to see Irbe staying with the team though.

Edit, well he is getting a shot at staying with the team, will depend on the new coach i guess.

Edited by Heimdall

Ted Nolan's not a bad guy, but he's not a great coach either. Pat Lafontaine hired an old pal who was not wanted by anyone this side of Latvia. The Sabres are trying to bring in top talent as players so it shouldn't be seen as unusual that they would want to bring in top talent as coaches.

It's a business. Nolan will get paid for his 3 year contract and he'll be fine. The Sabres will hopefully find a coaching staff that can develop guys like Grigorenko and Zadorov and turn this team into a contender. At least 6 new players will come in next year and the whole organization can get a fresh start together.

Today, the final piece of the horrible season ended. I would like to think the negative is in the past and that the news going forward will be positive. 

p.s. Murray said the new coach will decide who will be the goalie coach. Arturs Irbe might not be here for very long.

Edited by PotentPowerPlay22

A lot of newer members here seem to be related to the Nolan family...

Teddy is a good man and motivator

He is not a good X and O coach - our team is too young not to have this. It's one thing telling a vet to go out there and try, it is another thing to tell someone who has no idea what that means

Murray and Nolan didn't have a good working relationship - that's on both of them, but at the same time, doesn't matter because sometimes people just don't click

Richardson or Babcock

If you're team Latvia, you want Nolan coaching a Olympic run, because he can get that s**t talent to play hard enough over a short period to beat some better teams and give Canada a game of it.  If you're team Canada (or USA or any other talented team), well ... they could have hired Nolan, but they chose Babcock.  We've had a Team Latvia; time to get on with building a Team Canada.

Seriously, though, not surprised by the move and have no problem with it.  Just because Ted was in a tough spot doesn't mean that he couldn't have show Tim that he wasn't someone that he could work with.  This is the perfect time to make a change.

Edited by carpandean

Nolan was brought in more as a good will gesture to the fans than anything hockey related. Since about 10:30 Friday April 10th the focus turned back to hockey. Nolan is the past and should remain there. It doesn't matter to me if fans hate this firing or love it. This franchise is on a course towards the ultimate goal, that's all I care about, staying the course and enjoying the ride. 

I don't know , this really wasn't surprising that he was fired.   But that he was fired this quick.

Tim just got alot more respect from me, he doesn't ###### about.   He had the time to evaluate him all season long, season is over lets start on the next one.

Ted nolan was liked by alot of fans, but i really couldn't care about him anymore.  I liked him more last year than this one, i just expected him to improve the young guys faster.

Good to see Irbe staying with the team though.

Edit, well he is getting a shot at staying with the team, will depend on the new coach i guess.

I've read this a few times....what would be the point of waiting? If you're going to fire someone why wait?

Nolan was brought in more as a good will gesture to the fans than anything hockey related. Since about 10:30 Friday April 10th the focus turned back to hockey. Nolan is the past and should remain there. It doesn't matter to me if fans hate this firing or love it. This franchise is on a course towards the ultimate goal, that's all I care about, staying the course and enjoying the ride. 

Exactly, good point...you could almost say the same about LaFontaine.

That right there is key. The journey has to be enjoyable or what's the bloody point. (That's been my mantra for a while now.) This club is setting up to be entertaining going forward. In all reasonable likelihood its already begun.

Edited by Taro T

Many people here wondered if he had gone too far in roster improvements going into the season to finish last. We only finished last by two points which is well within the noise of in season luck/variability.

So yes, Arizona win all in to also finish last but ultimately the Sabres couldn't pass them either.

I agree with others that when the trade deadline approached Murray evaluated the landscape and the only course of action was to sell off the remaining pieces and only keep what was necessary.

But he was probably wordsmithing in that maybe he didn't see them as being 30th but maybe he saw them as being 28th which is really splitting hairs I guess.

But Murray had said long before the deadline he wasn't going to let any players go into free agency and get nothing in return. If the Sabres were 10 points  higher in the standings, he was going to keep Enroth and/or Neuvirth for the "stretch drive"? This take on the season is wonderfully revisionist: Murray didn't expect 30th and only was forced into tanking by Nolan's disappointing performance.

Funny - I think Nolan is too my way or the highway.  All I ever needed to know about Nolan was he had an affair with Hasek's wife (if I am not mistaken it was pretty well substantiated).  If you would mess with your all-world goaltender's life you are a completely self-centered coach.  He was self-centered all season whining and using management's strategy to build for the future as an excuse to motivate the troops and almost sabotage the strategy.  Plus Sabre teams were always BORING under his leadership.  If the Sabres are going to lose is it too much to ask to be a little entertaining? 

How is it that we ban a certain poster here for "libel" against a member of the Sabres front office, but this kind of comment, repeated often, doesn't apparently get any attention from the moderators?

If he was going to be fired, then that's fine fire him right away.  It's more expedient to do it for him in the short term than waiting it out.  It gives Nolan a chance to observe the market and start interviewing.  Regardless if that's at the NHL level or not.  He is a good person, and a good veterans coach.  This team needs to change the way things are done and it starts with a complete saturation down effect from the front office to the head coach.  The lack of communication says it all to me.  There should be a clear extension from Murray to Nolan and to the players.  

I think Murray summarizes the entire presser perfectly in the last 30 seconds or so. All of the people hating on Murray for this haven't SEEN this presser and that last 30 seconds. Murray wants to improve the team, and he means it. He didn't think keeping Nolan here was going to contribute to the scope of improvement he wants to see. What else is he supposed to do?

If Murray didn't approve of Nolan's handling of the team, he was free to fire him earlier in the season. But, no, let's wait until the tank is over, then blame Nolan for all the team's ills.  Oh, and why call a press conference after 7:00 PM on a Sunday night?  This couldn't have waited until Monday morning? No, this team's brain trust are a cold, calculating bunch. Even though most everyone "knew" that Nolan would be gone sooner rather than later, they hung him out to dry and when the team accomplished exactly what it wanted to do by finishing last, they couldn't wait even a full day to nail Teddy's hide to the wall of First Niagara Center.  Nicely done. 

If I were Babcock or any other self-respecting coach, I would touch the Sabres job with a ten-foot battle lance. (And if I were a player, I would think very hard about pulling a Lindros if I was picked by the Sabres). We've heard nothing but promises of great things for the Sabres, but so far the results are severly lacking. 

If Murray didn't approve of Nolan's handling of the team, he was free to fire him earlier in the season. But, no, let's wait until the tank is over, then blame Nolan for all the team's ills.  Oh, and why call a press conference after 7:00 PM on a Sunday night?  This couldn't have waited until Monday morning? No, this team's brain trust are a cold, calculating bunch. Even though most everyone "knew" that Nolan would be gone sooner rather than later, they hung him out to dry and when the team accomplished exactly what it wanted to do by finishing last, they couldn't wait even a full day to nail Teddy's hide to the wall of First Niagara Center.  Nicely done. 

If I were Babcock or any other self-respecting coach, I would touch the Sabres job with a ten-foot battle lance. (And if I were a player, I would think very hard about pulling a Lindros if I was picked by the Sabres). We've heard nothing but promises of great things for the Sabres, but so far the results are severly lacking. 

I didn't hear any blame. 

I could have sworn last week most of the people on this board didn't expect the Sabres to finish 30th and now when Murray says it people want to slam him for lying?  He didn't say they wouldn't suck.  Last Thursday night people were calling for riots in Buffalo because the team was going to ruin the run to 30th.

Also, Ted Nolan coached this team last season.  He chose to sign a 3 year deal knowing what this season would bring. He signed up for this entire situation.  There's no arguing that. Everyone in the NHL and this entire board knew full well who was going to be moved from the roster before the end of the season.  It's not a surprise at all that it happened.

What am I missing that warrants a defense of Ted Nolan and saying he was screwed by the GM?  The GM offered him a contract, he signed it and the GM had an entire year to evaluate Nolan.  Murray said he was partially to blame for the lack of communication. Murray didn't want Nolan but he wasn't going to get any coach to come in and fill that position so he took his best option.  Nolan knew it too.  How can anyone think otherwise?  These guys know the business better than any of us.  They know what is going on.

Next up.. draft lottery.

I didn't want Nolan fired.  I have been very clear on that, but I am not surprised at all.  I believe this was the plan all along after the 3 year extension was signed.

I also do not buy that Murray did not go into this year with the intention of finishing last.  Sure he brought in some veterans to keep the ship afloat, somewhat, but with has beens and rookies everywhere, especially on defence and in net, not too mention AHL players, what did anyone really expect.

Nolan has had success in juniors (OHL and the Q ... several Memorial Cup appearances and one Championship) and in the NHL with rosters that had some talented players.  Not great talented teams, but some.

Ted did his best, but no one would have been successful, by design, with this roster.  I think he is a very good coach.  He paid the price, like a good soldier, and now he will get paid.

I won't say it's a dick move by Murray, as I believe it was all part of the master plan.

Onward.

Actually, Murray didn't blame Nolan at all....if you listen to the press conference....They said to each other they were sorry it didn't work out.

But Murray had said long before the deadline he wasn't going to let any players go into free agency and get nothing in return. If the Sabres were 10 points higher in the standings, he was going to keep Enroth and/or Neuvirth for the "stretch drive"? This take on the season is wonderfully revisionist: Murray didn't expect 30th and only was forced into tanking by Nolan's disappointing performance.

How is it that we ban a certain poster here for "libel" against a member of the Sabres front office, but this kind of comment, repeated often, doesn't apparently get any attention from the moderators?

I think there's a huge difference between an isolated incident and repeated, and frequent, accusations.

Thanks WildCard for posting the presser video.

After watching and listening to it I think it is perfect that the Sabres are CHL Champions this season.

Tim Murray is full of shart, IMO.  I do not like him and I don't trust him.  I'm not a lawyer, but I think he would be a terrible witness, for either side (maybe both sides) in a trial.

Also, sounds like at least some of the players threw Teddy under the bus.

Who cares? Honestly. Who gives a rat fart what any fan of any other team thinks about what the Sabres do? If the Sabres become awesome and win 4 Cups will those other fans be pleased? Was what the Leafs did any less obvious or more honorable? I'll gladly sign-up to be the team that everyone else hates.  Give me some of that action please. The Sabres are never going to be widely loved. Since they'll never be that splashy trendy team everyone loves love let them be the best villain of all time.  It's infinitely better than being a vanilla also-ran that nobody cares about either way.

Really! I want the Sabres to be a standup organization and win the cup...  This isn't Boston to quote Sam Wyche... this is Buffalo...

That's been my narrative all season.

Murray inherited Nolan, but gave him a shot to prove himself.

They didn't click personally, the team didn't perform as well as Murray expected them to, (Yeh Right)and (most importantly) the kids didn't grow the way he needed them to.

Teds a good man, and I could see why some are disappointed he lost his job.

But this is one of the least surprising firings I can recall.

I don't think Murray ever gave him a shot or there would have been more communication... it was a PR stunt to have someone to blame for winning the Shart.  Nolan can be criticized for young player development, but I think even there he was making strides.... mind you not one of his strengths.  But you can't tell me Murray didn't expect this from the beginning.  I am really concerned that we have an fargin icehole running this team that may or may not have the talent to recruit players and retain a good coach.

Appearances as well as performance are important... as someone said TM reminds of something that rhymes with easel... but looks more like and angry woodchuck, a pissed off shortsighted little critter often seen dead along side the road because of that.

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.