Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

So many was to look at it. How many coaches have ever survived a 14-game losing streak? If Murray thought they would be better, why not fire Nolan then? What did Murray do to shake up the roster or strengthen it when the playoff "push" started to slip away?

People can say something similar about Murray now.

I really doubt that there is a gap in communication between Murray and Pegula as there apparently was between Nolan and Murray.

The only way for a GM to pull off a rebuild of this magnitude and survive is to ensure the consistent alignment of expectations with the owner. A very basic agreement between Pegula and Murray is that player acquisition and development takes priority over wins. My guess is that they also agree upon key metrics (analytics) to measure progress. If Murray and Pegula weren't in sync with Murray's direction, Tim would have been sent packing too.

Nolan didn't seem too concerned with Murray's priorities. His M.O. throughout his career had been to do his own thing and let the chips fall where they may.

I think Tim already had a pretty good idea on what to do with Nolan after january , but he rode it out going full in on the tankjob.

The interviews with the players most likely pushed him over the edge and made the decision much easier to make.

Now i wonder wich players had such an influence on Tim to expedite this but we will never know.   Hopefully next year we get out of the bottom ten.

Edited by Heimdall

I agree.  Cold and calculating often gets good results.   

There was already a lot of pressure on GMTM;  this adds to it I suppose, a bit.

GMTM has EVERYTHING he wanted now;   team dismantled,  and even more of the roster sent packing over the summer -  he's got oodles of draft picks, and the Tank was 100% successful.   

Now, the expectation is to start winning and not look back, and build the wins up to playoff appearance in April 2017.    IF it doesn't turn around this fall,   GMTM will start taking a lot of heat.  This will be a 100% GMTM team moving forward - both players and coaching.  

That will be refreshing. Some people will still blame Darcy.

That will be refreshing. Some people will still blame Darcy.

Maybe, but that would be irrational.  His mistakes are in the past.  Even something like the Hodgson contract--what GM doesn't inherit a big mistake or two?

This is Tim Murray's team, and responsibility, now.  I have every hope that he will discharge his duties well.

You're really overthinking this. Murray knew what Nolan was. He knew it wasn't going to work. Nolan was never going to prove himself and earn more years. Why else would Murray not communicate well with him? Murray described it as a failed marriage, then walked back the comment. It wasn't a failed marriage, it was a sham, arranged marriage. As others have said, let's take a shower and move onward.

Perfectly stated. My sense is that Nolan knew the drill once Patty left the organization. The Sabres were faced with a complete meltdown of the fan base if both LaFontaine and Nolan departed (how dysfunctional could one franchise possibly look, after all).

An arranged marriage, indeed, as Ted gets a nice two-year kiss-off and the Sabres were able to placate the fans. Win-Win for both (sorry couldn't help it). It's actually quite remarkable how the Sabres have pulled this all off when you think about it.

If Murray didn't want Nolan, he should have fired him when he became GM. Instead he left Nolan responsible for a big bag of stinking dog ###### and now fired Nolan saying he didn't they were a 30th place team when everyone who pays attention to hockey knows that's exactly what Murray wanted.

Why?  These past two seasons were going to be throw-aways and GMTM knew it.  So what was he supposed to do?  Bring in his guy and let him absorb the losses (and the acrimony)?  Nolan was popular enough with the Buffalo fanbase that they'd tolerate him, even root for him, over the past two losing seasons, which were going to be terrible regardless of the coach.  Basically just ride out the coach you've got.  Given the circumstances, Nolan was the best choice.  If, for instance, they'd have gone with Rolston, the fanbase would have revolted long ago.  People wanted Teddy to succeed and were willing to hang in there with him when the team sucked.  That is all Murray ever wanted out of him.  But now that the Tank is over, it's on to bigger and better things.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

Why?  These past two seasons were going to be throw-aways and GMTM knew it.  So what was he supposed to do?  Bring in his guy and let him absorb the losses (and the acrimony)?  Nolan was popular enough with the Buffalo fanbase that they'd tolerate him, even root for him, over the past two losing seasons, which were going to be terrible regardless of the coach.  Basically just ride out the coach you've got.  Given the circumstances, Nolan was the best choice.  If, for instance, they'd have gone with Rolston, the fanbase would have revolted long ago.  People wanted Teddy to succeed and were willing to hang in there with him when the team sucked.  That is all Murray ever wanted out of him.  But now that the Tank is over, it's on to bigger and better things.

Anything was better than Rolston. I'm sorry Teddy had a bad time of it, and I was more than thrilled when he came back. I also don't think he's the right coach going forward. But Rolston was a emotionless nothing. Good or bad, Teddy at least gave us a thrill in the last month or so - him VS the Tank. Rolston would have just stunk.

There were two things that made TN a fan favorite from his first stint...

1 - He happened to end up being the HC of a team with an all-world goalie.

2 - The hitting/fighting/hardworking play care of Barnaby, May, Ray & Boughner.

His 2nd time around, he had neither.  Don't feel bad for him, he got to be a HC at the NHL level for another two years, and gets a nice parting gift(two more years of contract owed to him).   

I could not care less where he ends up next.  The game passed him by, and he was only a "decent coach" the first time around because of the points I made above.

It's a new era of cutthroat sports in Buffalo. Ryan, bullies, Incognito, Murray, Kane, give us your tired, your poor, your wretched refuse. We don't want to see the sausage being made, but we want the sausage (heyooooo). Hell, Nolan's hands might not even be clean here. Did he really enter into this situation an innocent babe? He's walking with how many millions for one season's work?

Your last sentence is all I really need to hear on this topic.  People can talk all they want about Nolan getting screwed over, but at the end of the day, he's walking away with three years worth of paychecks.  Sign me up for that gig anyway.

Yeah for me the shine just came off Murray and I'm a big fan. At least have some balls and tell the truth. He built this team to be a 30th place team. That much was obvious.

That's just diplomacy.  You say what's acceptable to say.  It's not acceptable to officially acknowledge you just tanked.

Memo to GMTM, "Karma is a real bitch", hope you remember that when it's your time in the barrel, I for one will not shed a tear on that day, thanks TN for your time here and hope that  you have  better tomorrows in the future

There isn't a single person on the planet that believes Murray didn't think they would be a 30th place team. He never should have handed out that 3 year extension if he had no intentions of holding on to Nolan. Now our crop of young players that have been in BFLO will have to adjust to another coach which will slow next year's progress. 

I think that was GMTM's way of taking care of his fall guy.  He knew he'd likely only keep Nolan for the first of those three years, but paid him the extra two years worth as a bonus for taking on a thankless job.

Memo to GMTM, "Karma is a real bitch", hope you remember that when it's your time in the barrel, I for one will not shed a tear on that day, thanks TN for your time here and hope that  you have  better tomorrows in the future

Good damn there is alot of Emoing over this.

I think that was GMTM's way of taking care of his fall guy.  He knew he'd likely only keep Nolan for the first of those three years, but paid him the extra two years worth as a bonus for taking on a thankless job.

That's my read/take on things.  Everything else is packaging for media/fans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.