Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

Buffalo Sabres @BuffaloSabres

NEWS: #Sabres GM Tim Murray today announced Coach Ted Nolan has been relieved of his duties as head coach.

Buffalo Sabres @BuffaloSabres

#Sabres Assistant Coach Danny Flynn has been relieved of his duties. The contracts of Bryan Trottier & Tom Coolen will not be renewed.

Sabres PR @SabresPR

Tim Murray will be available to the media in the press conference room at First Niagara Center at 7:45 p.m. tonight. #Sabres

Edited by Hoss

So does this mean Murray completely skipped out on the Nolan meeting Monday/Tuesday? I'd imagine that conversation was a formality/show of respect in discussing Nolan's firing face-to-face. I wonder if they met already or Nolan was just like " it, we don't need to meet, I already know what it is"

From Buffalo News article today explaining what might have been the cause:

" Nolan had difficulty putting together his coaching staff last summer, and failed to bring in a proven defensive-minded assistant to groom Buffalo's young core of defensemen, who struggled with consistency this season.

Nolan also had a poor working relationship with general manager Tim Murray, as the two barely consulted this year."

Nolan was pissed about some of the players he wanted being in Rochester and probably having a revolving door in goal most of the year...he knew what he was signing up for, but probably din't think it would be this bad...

Bob McKenzie         @TSNBobMcKenzie Follow

I can't say Mike Babcock will end up as coach in BUF but I will be shocked if Sabres don't take a hard run at wooing Babcock away from DET.

BUF GM Tim Murray has history with Babcock dating back to days in ANA. Sabre owner Terry Pegula has lot of $ and not likely to be outbid.

I am a bit torn on this one. Sort of like blaming the soldiers and officers when the politicians bear more of the responsibility. I was a Bills season ticket holder from 1986 until February. My Dad had them from 1974. I haven't lived in WNY since 1990. But I renewed every year because I thought it might help keep the team and because I felt a part of something. When they hired Ryan I knew I didn't want to be part of whatever they believe it is they are building. I hope against hope that the Sabres don't become the same. While I don't believe Nolan earned another go, I just think it is all is a bit unseemly. I'll be fine just need to go shower.

Bob McKenzie         @TSNBobMcKenzie Follow

I can't say Mike Babcock will end up as coach in BUF but I will be shocked if Sabres don't take a hard run at wooing Babcock away from DET.

BUF GM Tim Murray has history with Babcock dating back to days in ANA. Sabre owner Terry Pegula has lot of $ and not likely to be outbid.

Oh, please, please, please, please, please! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.