Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

Do you think we finish dead last if we keep the goalies, Stafford, an Girgensons and Gorges stay healthy?

Short of Arizona going full retard?  Yes.

They were DFL with all those players on board.

Edited by weave

There isn't a single person on the planet that believes Murray didn't think they would be a 30th place team. He never should have handed out that 3 year extension if he had no intentions of holding on to Nolan. Now our crop of young players that have been in BFLO will have to adjust to another coach which will slow next year's progress. 

Disagree, but we've been down this road before.

Yeah, they will have to adjust to a coach that cares about their development and actually knows how to best utilize their God given ability. They may even have to adjust to a coach asking for their opinion and who thinks they deserve PPP time over some career minor leaguer.

Nolan didn't care about their development? 

There isn't a single person on the planet that believes Murray didn't think they would be a 30th place team. He never should have handed out that 3 year extension if he had no intentions of holding on to Nolan. Now our crop of young players that have been in BFLO will have to adjust to another coach which will slow next year's progress. 

Good thing Nolan wasn't an X's and O's coach because the players will not have to adjust to a new system.  ;)

I believe it. I don't think the initial plan was to be DFL....(thus Gionta, Gorges, Moulson)....but there was probably a hellava lot more confidence that the Islanders were the same team as last year. The game-changer was really with Snow on the Island getting Leddy and Boychuk. Suddenly the Sabres didn't have 2 bottom 10 picks. 

But by the trade-deadline.....I have no doubt that DFL was the goal.

Agreed w/ that. Also believe they thought the skaters would be better but that goaltending would keep the improvement from being too great and that the 7 extra sets of back-to-backs would cost some points as well.

Pretty sure I'd expected them to be around 28th, but not DFL. THAT was supposed to be the Isles season. (Which I realize has absolutely no bearing on what TM expected. :P)

Well, this puts the pressure on Murray now.  He will not be able to blame the new coach since it will be the one that he chose.  Seems like he has had something of a free pass to this point.

I have not been impressed with Murray so far and I do not particularly like his personality.  How can a GM and coach not communicate at all during a season?  That likely is on both of them.

Reinhart and either McDavid or Eichel are easy picks, but it will be the other picks that will be a test for him.  We will need to see how last year's draft and the next few work out before we really can evaluate him.  Not sure about his ability in making trades, but we will see.

Waiting for the replay of the presser, but when Murray was saying he wasn't going to throw Nolan under the bus for the media, he did say that "this is part of a bigger plan" or was it "bigger picture".

I'm sure Murray already has a short, short list of replacements.

Unfortunately, TN won't be able to prove me wrong as his NHL career has ended.

Maybe we will be proven wrong on what really happened, but if Murray gets feedback from the players that prompts him to fire the coaches, how can you still defend the coach as being the right man for the job. Dudes gotta move on about how great a coach Nolan is.

Well, this puts the pressure on Murray now.  He will not be able to blame the new coach since it will be the one that he chose.  Seems like he has had something of a free pass to this point.

I have not been impressed with Murray so far and I do not particularly like his personality.  How can a GM and coach not communicate at all during a season?  That likely is on both of them.

Reinhart and either McDavid or Eichel are easy picks, but it will be the other picks that will be a test for him.  We will need to see how last year's draft and the next few work out before we really can evaluate him.  Not sure about his ability in making trades, but we will see.

Don't forget Kane Bogosian, Gionta, Deslauriers, and Gorges. True he also signed Mess and Balls, but in hindsight that is looking like pure brilliance.

I am a bit torn on this one. Sort of like blaming the soldiers and officers when the politicians bear more of the responsibility. I was a Bills season ticket holder from 1986 until February. My Dad had them from 1974. I haven't lived in WNY since 1990. But I renewed every year because I thought it might help keep the team and because I felt a part of something. When they hired Ryan I knew I didn't want to be part of whatever they believe it is they are building. I hope against hope that the Sabres don't become the same. While I don't believe Nolan earned another go, I just think it is all is a bit unseemly. I'll be fine just need to go shower.

Are you serious,man???? You, a lifelong fan, bailing now for what reason exactly??? Are you afraid they might be good and don't know how to relate to it???

Waiting for the replay of the presser, but when Murray was saying he wasn't going to throw Nolan under the bus for the media, he did say that "this is part of a bigger plan" or was it "bigger picture".

I'm sure Murray already has a short, short list of replacements.

Why do I get the feeling that this whole thing is like Pulp Fiction.

Pegula is Marcellus.

Patty LaFontaine was the Wolf.

And Nolan was the chick and the dump who crushed the car.

Are you serious,man???? You, a lifelong fan, bailing now for what reason exactly??? Are you afraid they might be good and don't know how to relate to it???

I despise Ryan. But I also despise that they allow him to do anything other than scheme defenses. John Fox and others were out there and they went with a pos without equal. I also think the Pegs missed on Whaley. I get the sense they threw a leash on him and turned the keys over to Ryan. A rush to make a splash. They needed someone to develop a QB either one on the roster or one they acquire. Rex has never developed anyone QB or otherwise. JMHO, and after 25 years of season tickets in absentia I am entitled.

A totally classless move. And not the last classless move from that dick Murray, I'm sure.

LOL. I'll volunteer to be dicked like this. Don't cry for me, Argentina.

I despise Ryan. But I also despise that they allow him to do anything other than scheme defenses. John Fox and others were out there and they went with a pos without equal. I also think the Pegs missed on Whaley. I get the sense they threw a leash on him and turned the keys over to Ryan. A rush to make a splash. They needed someone to develop a QB either one on the roster or one they acquire. Rex has never developed anyone QB or otherwise. JMHO, and after 25 years of season tickets in absentia I am entitled.

Okay, whatever. Bills too splashy now. Gotcha. What exactly were you hoping for?

Edited by Promonov Robotnik

Funny - I think Nolan is too my way or the highway.  All I ever needed to know about Nolan was he had an affair with Hasek's wife (if I am not mistaken it was pretty well substantiated).  If you would mess with your all-world goaltender's life you are a completely self-centered coach.  He was self-centered all season whining and using management's strategy to build for the future as an excuse to motivate the troops and almost sabotage the strategy.  Plus Sabre teams were always BORING under his leadership.  If the Sabres are going to lose is it too much to ask to be a little entertaining? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.