Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

I despise Ryan. But I also despise that they allow him to do anything other than scheme defenses. John Fox and others were out there and they went with a pos without equal. I also think the Pegs missed on Whaley. I get the sense they threw a leash on him and turned the keys over to Ryan. A rush to make a splash. They needed someone to develop a QB either one on the roster or one they acquire. Rex has never developed anyone QB or otherwise. JMHO, and after 25 years of season tickets in absentia I am entitled.

I didn't want to get into it since this isn't the thread but you've said that Rex hasn't developed anybody twice now and that's a load of crap.

A totally classless move. And not the last classless move from that dick Murray, I'm sure.

Why is it classless?  Coaches get fired all the time.  Especially coaches that fight against management's strategy and whine about having to develop young players.

LOL. I'll volunteer to be dicked like this. Don't cry for me, Argentina.

Okay, whatever. Bills too splashy now. Gotcha. What exactly were you hoping for?

A well thought out plan. We didn't need the Defensive Genius of Rex. We needed a leader like a Fox or Carrol or Ariens. Some idea on how to out score NE not simply limit how much they score. Ground and pound? Give me a break. We may have a QB or we may not, but I don't think we will ever know with Ryan at the helm. And they are not too splashy. Just the opposite. Wash rinse repeat with another big mouthed loser. I will watch with detached interest, no more emotional investment. I do hope for family and friends that live and die with the team that they are rewarded. I for one am done writing checks financially or emotionally.

I love Ted. But there are some absurdly dumb comments in this thread. Good grief.

I trust GMTM.

I showered. I am ready for the lottery.

Bill Hoppe says it appears they retained Irbe.

Awesome!  For everyone arguing how great of a coach Nolan is - how well do you think we would have done without Irbe this year?  He was the key to making some average goalies look great.

A well thought out plan. We didn't need the Defensive Genius of Rex. We needed a leader like a Fox or Carrol or Ariens. Some idea on how to out score NE not simply limit how much they score. Ground and pound? Give me a break. We may have a QB or we may not, but I don't think we will ever know with Ryan at the helm. And they are not too splashy. Just the opposite. Wash rinse repeat with another big mouthed loser. I will watch with detached interest, no more emotional investment. I do hope for family and friends that live and die with the team that they are rewarded. I for one am done writing checks financially or emotionally.

They played to their strengths instead of building off their weakness. Then they turned around and patched up their weaknesses to, almost a unanimous opinion, the best they possibly could have. 

Edited by WildCard

:blink:

Does noone want to touch this beauty?

Does anyone buy this? And if they do, what does that say about GMTM?

If it was sincere, I think it is time for the Superman cape to come off.

Many people here wondered if he had gone too far in roster improvements going into the season to finish last. We only finished last by two points which is well within the noise of in season luck/variability.

So yes, Arizona win all in to also finish last but ultimately the Sabres couldn't pass them either.

I agree with others that when the trade deadline approached Murray evaluated the landscape and the only course of action was to sell off the remaining pieces and only keep what was necessary.

But he was probably wordsmithing in that maybe he didn't see them as being 30th but maybe he saw them as being 28th which is really splitting hairs I guess.

Funny - I think Nolan is too my way or the highway.  All I ever needed to know about Nolan was he had an affair with Hasek's wife (if I am not mistaken it was pretty well substantiated).  If you would mess with your all-world goaltender's life you are a completely self-centered coach.  He was self-centered all season whining and using management's strategy to build for the future as an excuse to motivate the troops and almost sabotage the strategy.  Plus Sabre teams were always BORING under his leadership.  If the Sabres are going to lose is it too much to ask to be a little entertaining? 

You are mistaken.

They played to their strengths instead of building off their weakness. Then they turned around and patched up their weaknesses to, almost a unanimous opinion, the best they possibly could have.

Maybe save the football talk for another time?

Fair enough. But I mean, there were also a fair amount of other posters that are discussing it, and I didn't even bring it up

I'm on my phone and I just happen to pick your post. I didn't mean to direct anything specifically at you.

I love Ted. But there are some absurdly dumb comments in this thread. Good grief.

I trust GMTM.

I say a hearty THANK YOU to Ted Nolan. He took over a team being stripped down and replaced by AHLers and young kids and handled it very professionally. He saw goaltenders shipped off when it was evident they were making the Sabres tough to beat.

While I was 150% on board with the strip-down, Tank, and Re-build, I will never hold it personally against him that he had the team playing together and playing to win. Tough spot for any coach to be in...one with any self-dignity, anyway. How odd that he became entangled again in the Sabres dysfunction (first with the Muckler/Darcy situation then with the LaLa debacle). Best wishes, Ted. I wish you more success under better circumstances.

Lets face reality. Ted is a good coach but he always gets quickly fired...Only those who work closely with him could explain that. When someone gets quickly canned at several places the logical assumption is that he is truly a pain in the butt. Because he is a good coach and based on team performances he shouldn't be getting fired everywhere.

He knew he was gonna get canned so he put superhuman effort in to mess up the tank. If it weren't for the miracle work of the great saint Toews  we would have blown it.

Funny - I think Nolan is too my way or the highway.  All I ever needed to know about Nolan was he had an affair with Hasek's wife (if I am not mistaken it was pretty well substantiated).  If you would mess with your all-world goaltender's life you are a completely self-centered coach. 

Shameful you would refer to such an ugly rumor here. That's all it has ever been. Do some homework and show us how this has been substantiated in any way. You can dislike a coach, fine. But your credibility just went in the tank.

Goodbye Sabres until Murray gets fired. Thanks for such a waste of time.

:rolleyes:

Not to pick an old scab, but I thought nobody ever got fired from a Tpeg's joint. Leave it to Buffalo sports to get him handing out pink slips like band flyers for a gig at Nietzsche's.

Extended exposure to Darcy will do that to you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.