2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Where does everybody come out on Legwand vs. Larsson as the 4th line center? First off, if Legwand vs. Larsson isn't even a thing, then please ignore this post. I prefer Larsson and it is largely based on his play at the tail endof last year. I love the youth movement on this team and I feel like Larsson can be a part of that. I know he'll probably be the first guy off the bench, but I feel like he deserves a chance for a bigger role.

I see it not as a case of Legwand vs. Larsson, or not even a battle between any two specific players but a competitions among 5-6 players (Reinhardt, Larsson, Legwand, Foligno, Deslauries, McGinn) who will we rotating in and out of the line-up as Byslma sees fit. If Reinhardt has a bad game or two he's gonna sit and Larsson goes in and plays until Legwand has a bad game, etc. I think these players will be pushing each other to perform well and that'll drive the bottom line pairings as well....until the injuries kick in. 

I see it not as a case of Legwand vs. Larsson, or not even a battle between any two specific players but a competitions among 5-6 players (Reinhardt, Larsson, Legwand, Foligno, Deslauries, McGinn) who will we rotating in and out of the line-up as Byslma sees fit. If Reinhardt has a bad game or two he's gonna sit and Larsson goes in and plays until Legwand has a bad game, etc. I think these players will be pushing each other to perform well and that'll drive the bottom line pairings as well....until the injuries kick in. 

I'm not sure who this Reinhardt is that you speak of, but otherwise right on.

Barring serious injury, all of these guys will get 70 plus games

IMO, Larsson will quickly become a fixture.

He doesn't play for the Sabres.

I think, to answer the OP, that we will see Larsson either start or very quickly enter the lineup and stick.  Larsson has just the right blend of offense and defense to be a very effective 3rd line center.  Also I see flashes of chemistry with Larsson and Deslauriers. 

What does this mean/refer to?  I've never heard this reference in regards to Buffalo before:

From Rotoworld on Bogosian:

"Zach Bogosian figures to see a huge uptick in both opportunity and output in 2015-16. That is, if he can bloody well stay healthy. It's clear the skills are there -- he wouldn't have been a former third overall pick if they weren't. But Bogosian has only played one full season in the NHL since first lacing up his skates in 2008-09. Ouch. Bogosian is now the top dog on the first power-play unit in the City of Fires, and quite frankly, the only puck-moving defender with any sort of experience on the thin Buffalo blue line. He could deliver a point every other game, but just don't count on him suiting up for the full season. Anything more than 60 games played are pure gravy. Draft accordingly."

I would think Detroit with their mischief night is the real City of Fires.

Edited by wjag

Bylsma's track record in Pittsburgh was to play two offensive lines and two defensive lines. He's hinted he may do the same here.

Given the depth up-front I think you will see him trying to roll four lines in an up-tempo game, with everyone getting 10 minutes of even-strength ice time in a typical game.

Situationally, he will shorten his bench. I project:

Down a goal late: Kane, Ennis, Eichel, O'Reilly, Risto, Franson (Moulson, Gionta, Bogo)

Cut back Deslauriers/McGinn/Legwand/Foligno/Weber/Gorges

Up a goal late: O'Reilly, Girgensons, Larsson, Bogosian, Risto (Kane, Gionta, Gorges)

Cut back Moulson/Reinhart/Franson/Weber

Power play: Eichel, Moulson, O'Reilly, Franson Ennis (Kane, Reinhart, Gionta, Bogosian, Ristolainen)

Penalty kill: Kane/O'Reilly Larsson/Girgensons Risto/Gorges, Bogosian/Pysyk (Eichel/Gionta/Weber)

You may see Larsson and Girgensons playing on the third or fourth line, but getting top-six or top-nine ice time because of situational use.

I like Girgensons on Eichel's right side, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him be used more in a Jordan Staal role.

O'Reilly will be the clear kingpin in ice time. On the blueline, I don't expect any single dominant minute-muncher the way Myers/Bogsian were under Nolan.

It will be interesting to see how the ice time of Eichel/Reinhart/Larsson/Pysyk/Risto grows or fades as the season moves on and Bylsma level of trust changes.

Awesome write up and analysis.  I wouldn't disagree with anything said here.   I prefer using Girgensons as a center, and I've liked what Reinhart has done on the wing.  He's played the wall very well.  

I'm sticking with:

Evander Kane-Ryan O'Reilly-Tyler Ennis

Matt Moulson-Jack Eichel-Sam Reinhart

Marcus Foligno-Zemgus Girgensons-Brian Gionta

Nic Deslauriers-Johan Larsson-Jamie McGinn

That's what I would love to see :D

What does this mean/refer to?  I've never heard this reference in regards to Buffalo before:

From Rotoworld on Bogosian:

"Zach Bogosian figures to see a huge uptick in both opportunity and output in 2015-16. That is, if he can bloody well stay healthy. It's clear the skills are there -- he wouldn't have been a former third overall pick if they weren't. But Bogosian has only played one full season in the NHL since first lacing up his skates in 2008-09. Ouch. Bogosian is now the top dog on the first power-play unit in the City of Fires, and quite frankly, the only puck-moving defender with any sort of experience on the thin Buffalo blue line. He could deliver a point every other game, but just don't count on him suiting up for the full season. Anything more than 60 games played are pure gravy. Draft accordingly."

I would think Detroit with their mischief night is the real City of Fires.

That's a hold-over from Irv Wienstein days.  

Canadians have often asked me what the hell a Four Alarm Blaze in Cheektowaga means. They loved Irv so much he got spoofed on SCTV in Earl Cammenbert. 

Awesome write up and analysis.  I wouldn't disagree with anything said here.   I prefer using Girgensons as a center, and I've liked what Reinhart has done on the wing.  He's played the wall very well.  

I'm sticking with:

Evander Kane-Ryan O'Reilly-Tyler Ennis

Matt Moulson-Jack Eichel-Sam Reinhart

Marcus Foligno-Zemgus Girgensons-Brian Gionta

Nic Deslauriers-Johan Larsson-Jamie McGinn

That's what I would love to see :D

I'm good with this.  Reinhart and Gionta can swap places as well and I'd still be good with it if Disco Dan doesn't want the rookies on the same line together to start the season.

I'm good with this.  Reinhart and Gionta can swap places as well and I'd still be good with it if Disco Dan doesn't want the rookies on the same line together to start the season.

It looks like with Gionta playing 2nd line right wing, I'll guess that Sam and Girgensons will be playing together on the 3rd line this year, and they'll take turns playing center. I'd be good with that.

Edited by Thorny

Lines this morning at practice still had Kane and Eichel together. While I'd imagine they can develop chemistry over time, I'm just not a fan of the fit there while Eichel breaks into the league.

I agree. I think Eichel and Kane have the potential to be explosive together, but it will take a lot of time and practice. Normally, I would say okay, might as well get started on that now, but I think that long-term Kane matches up much better with Reinhart anyways, so it might not necessarily make sense to stick Kane with Eichel now, when Eichel seems like a great fit with Moulson currently. I'd prefer for this year: Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis and Moulson - Eichel - Gionta (assuming it's going to be Gionta there instead of Girgensons).

Edited by Thorny

I still like,

Kane, O'Reilly, Ennis

Moulson, Eichel, Gionta

Foligno, Girginsens, Reinhart

Deslauriers, Larsson, McGinn

Not bad at all. Now if we an just get our defense and goaltending up another level.

The only thing I don't like about that is that it leaves Eichel with little protection on his wings. 

Eichel is going to get run. I'd like him to have a little more back-up than Moulson and Gionta. 

The only thing I don't like about that is that it leaves Eichel with little protection on his wings. 

Eichel is going to get run. I'd like him to have a little more back-up than Moulson and Gionta.

Yep. Which is why I was liking the way they had the lines set up at the opening of training camp.

It's a fair point, but really the only wingers they have who would step in to protect Eichel are Kane and Deslauriers (and maybe Foligno, but not really). Do you want Kane with Eichel?

It's a fair point, but really the only wingers they have who would step in to protect Eichel are Kane and Deslauriers (and maybe Foligno, but not really). Do you want Kane with Eichel?

I don't mind Bylsma sending Moulson-Eichel-Gionta over the boards together situationally, but I don't like the idea of that as a regular line. 

So I guess I'd like to see teams try to match the speed of Kane-Eich-Ennis together. 

Bylsma went with the Columbus lines again in practice:

Moulson O'Reilly Ennis

Kane Eichel Gionta

McGinn Larsson Girgensons Reinhart

Deslauriers Legwand Foligno

Cal O'Reily sent down, so it looks like those are our 13 forwards, unless Cody is close to coming back.

Coach said something about how he liked those four battling for 3rd line minutes.

I guess that means Gionta is in the top six for the time being.

Not sure if it means Legwand dresses ahead of whoever isn't part of the third line.

He did say Reinhart wouldn't be in Buffalo if he was regularly sitting out.

The defence is still a schmozzle.

Edited by dudacek

I liked Kane O'Reilly Ennis myself.

Comfortable playing that group against anyone.

I'd also put Girgs/Larsson/McGinn out against anyone too.

Eichel Moulson Gionta against favourable matchups is interesting.

And the Des/Foligno combo has rocked the preseason with three different centres and is a superior fourth line.

I think this is a playoff forward group.

I liked Kane O'Reilly Ennis myself.

Comfortable playing that group against anyone.

I'd also put Girgs/Larsson/McGinn out against anyone too.

Eichel Moulson Gionta against favourable matchups is interesting.

And the Des/Foligno combo has rocked the preseason with three different centres and is a superior fourth line.

I think this is a playoff forward group.

Agreed

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.