2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Nobody noticed what I said last night?

If he did, he was the only one.

I caught it. Thanks for being more subtle than most will be moving forward.

Lehner, Gionta, Reinhart, Franson, Colaiacovo and whoever flanks Jack will be the early flashpoints of Sabrespace angst.

Our defense,when healthy,is not worse than last year.

I agree.  Risto will probably continue to get better, Bogo will probably be better with better forwards, pretty much anyone will be better than Benoit and Meszaros, and all of them will benefit from better coaching and a better system.  And that doesn't even include Pysyk, whom everyone seems to think is ready to play well at the NHL level.

There's also not a ton of reason to think the goaltending is worse. Johnson and Lehner's career numbers would put them better than the Enroth/Lindback combo and on part with Neuvirth.

The one thing we had last year was great goaltending for what we had to work with. I don't think expecting that from Johnson/Lehner is realistic. No way our goaltending is better than last year.

Both our goals for and goals against will be higher this year. How that translates standings wise we will see.

Edited by sicknfla

The one thing we had last year was great goaltending for what we had to work with. I don't think expecting that from Johnson/Lehner is realistic. No way our goaltending is better than last year.

Our goaltending was not great. We had some stretches where it was great, but people seem to be forgetting we had some stretches where it was absolutely dreadful. Overall our goaltenders had amongst the worst save percentages in the league among regulars. High variance, terrible cumulative results.

Realistically, our defense and goaltending is worse than last year.

How come? Just because of the more attacking style?

Clearly, Murray thinks Lehner is better than Enroth/Neuvirth/Lindback, even if he didn't show it in preseason. Most hockey people would agree.

I do think the fact the Sabres won't be playing Alamo hockey every night will hurt the goalies' numbers this year.

Realistically Pysyk and Franson should be improvements over what we saw from Zadorov and Meszaros last year. (Not Nikita's potential, Nikita's play.) Colaiacovo/Donovan for Strachan/Benoit is a push at worst.

Edited by dudacek

Our goaltending was not great. We had some stretches where it was great, but people seem to be forgetting we had some stretches where it was absolutely dreadful. Overall our goaltenders had amongst the worst save percentages in the league among regulars. High variance, terrible cumulative results.

If we get comparable or better GT'ing than last year I will be very happy and surprised.

How come? Just because of the more attacking style?

Clearly, Murray thinks Lehner is better than Enroth/Neuvirth/Lindback, even if he didn't show it in preseason. Most hockey people would agree.

I do think the fact the Sabres won't be playing Alamo hockey every night will hurt the goalies' numbers this year.

Realistically Pysyk and Franson should be improvements over what we saw from Zadorov and Meszaros last year. (Not Nikita's potential, Nikita's play.) Colaiacovo/Donovan for Strachan/Benoit is a push at worst.

When healthy the D is comparable. They are both subpar NHL defenses. Depth wise i think we had more last year - and that wasn't much.

I couldn't watch every preseason game but from what I saw of Samson he was easily one of the top 10 forwards and I would probably say in at least 1 of those games one of our top 4 forwards in terms of play.

Possibly behind Eichel, Kane, O'Reilly and Ennis I'm assuming? That makes 5th but he's right there. I think if he does go to rochester, he'll come back with a better overall game.

Right now I would scratch McGinn.

He's the slowest forward. Besides, these things work themselves out quickly. There will always be injuries.

Perhaps I'm being too knee jerky but he had 2 goals in the last game playing exactly the way you need. With the way the lines have been in practice, I think Larsson or Reino get the box. ????

When healthy the D is comparable. They are both subpar NHL defenses. Depth wise i think we had more last year - and that wasn't much.

I couldn't agree less

Bogosian

Risto

Pysyk

Fransen

Weber

Coliacovo

>>>>>>>>>>>

Myers/Bogo

Risto

Zadorov

Mezaros

Strachan

Benoit

Possibly behind Eichel, Kane, O'Reilly and Ennis I'm assuming? That makes 5th but he's right there. I think if he does go to rochester, he'll come back with a better overall game.

Perhaps I'm being too knee jerky but he had 2 goals in the last game playing exactly the way you need. With the way the lines have been in practice, I think Larsson or Reino get the box.

It's a good point. My thinking is that in the 3rd line role, skating and defense are at a higher premium. 

I have no idea how it plays out though. 

Isn't it great that this is a hard decision? :)

Edited by X. Benedict

Perhaps I'm being too knee jerky but he had 2 goals in the last game playing exactly the way you need. With the way the lines have been in practice, I think Larsson or Reino get the box.

From what I read, Bylsma was saying that Reinhart will either be playing in Buffalo or playing in Roch, but that he will not be watching (from the box) in Buffalo.

From what I read, Bylsma was saying that Reinhart will either be playing in Buffalo or playing in Roch, but that he will not be watching (from the box) in Buffalo.

I think what he said was Reinhart would not regularly be watching from the box. Subtle but important.

Bylsma said he was not anticipating the interviewer's scenario (Reinhart playing regularly in the minors, or watching fifty games from the press box) occurring.

I still would not be surprised to see Legwand watching game one and the extra third-liner skating between Marcus and D-lo (yes, that is what Bylsma called him.

Edited by dudacek

I think what he said was Reinhart would not regularly be watching from the box. Subtle but important.

Gotcha. The occasional trip upstairs is, I trust, to be expected. But it seems like there's no way Reinhart is kept with the big club and then watches the first few games, yeah?

I think both Reinhart and Eichel will spend some time watching from the press box.  They will both need to be pulled back and shown how the NHL level game is played at some point.  I could see a guy (Legwand?  Foligno? maybe both?) being the 13th forward, but spending as little as half the time up in the press box with some of the younger guys getting "instructional days off" and the veterans getting occasional "recovery days off."  Look in particular for Eichel getting one game off in back-to-back situations in an effort to ease him into a season with roughly twice as many games as he's used to playing.  I wouldn't be surprised if Eichel spends a little time in Rochester if being on the second line doesn't give him enough "shelter" so he can develop his game toward the pro style.

Edited by Robins Egg

I have found Bylsma's interviews quite refreshing in their frankness.  I also get the impression that he and Murray are of the mind that the first priority is to establish the systematic approach to being a Sabre.  Do it in practice, do it in the game.  That is not a heavy load for Reinhart to carry.  If Murray was sincere in his statement that he doesn't care if it takes a year for Lehner to get back to form, I would think that developing Reinhart on the big club would be given every opportunity to succeed.   JMHO.

I think both Reinhart and Eichel will spend some time watching from the press box.  They will both need to be pulled back and shown how the NHL level game is played at some point.  I could see a guy (Legwand?  Foligno? maybe both?) being the 13th forward, but spending as little as half the time up in the press box with some of the younger guys getting "instructional days off" and the veterans getting occasional "recovery days off."  Look in particular for Eichel getting one game off in back-to-back situations in an effort to ease him into a season with roughly twice as many games as he's used to playing.  I wouldn't be surprised if Eichel spends a little time in Rochester if being on the second line doesn't give him enough "shelter" so he can develop his game toward the pro style.

If Eichel EVER plays in Ra-cha-cha, I'd be shocked.

Never say never. But ... yeah. That would be a big surprise.

It would be a big surprise, sure.  But if, once the regular season starts, he gets into a funk and never shows what we all know he's capable of, I could see an instructional stint in the AHL.  He's a very talented 18-year-old, but he's still an 18-year-old.  He's been successful at every level.  If he struggles in the NHL he may have trouble overcoming it and if that happens, an AHL stint could be a good reset button.

It would be a big surprise, sure. But if, once the regular season starts, he gets into a funk and never shows what we all know he's capable of, I could see an instructional stint in the AHL. He's a very talented 18-year-old, but he's still an 18-year-old. He's been successful at every level. If he struggles in the NHL he may have trouble overcoming it and if that happens, an AHL stint could be a good reset button.

And IF the sun doesn't come up tomorrow, we're in for a world of hurt. Do we really need a contingency for that in our lifetimes?

This kid is not Reinhart. How long was Crosby's stint in Wilkesbury? That is how long Eichel will play in Ra-cha-cha due to difficulty grasping/ adjusting to the NHL.

Edited by Taro T

It's more of a "don't count your chickens before they're hatched" thing.  Right now it all looks good, but we don't know what will happen the puck drops on the regular season.  As a Buffalo sports fan I've been beaten down so long it's hard for me to get my hopes up.

It's more of a "don't count your chickens before they're hatched" thing.  Right now it all looks good, but we don't know what will happen the puck drops on the regular season.  As a Buffalo sports fan I've been beaten down so long it's hard for me to get my hopes up.

To a degree, but there are things we do know: the Loafs aren't sniffing the playoffs. Neither are the Desert Dogs. Chicago will be in the mix regardless of where Kane &/or his head are at. McDavid will play the entire year in Edmonton.

Jack Eichel playing the full season in Buffalo can be added to that list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.