2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Hoppe and BN reporting that Reinhart is an even bet to go to Roch.

If he's just going to be the extra forward, that's where he belongs--like basically every young player we've had come up recently, I want him to play where he's going to....ya know...play. 

So long as Gionta and McGinn are in the lineup (and in the top-9), then there isn't really a good place to put Reinhart. And yes, I'm fully of the opinion that Larsson has earned a spot on the 3rd line and roster moves should be made around him staying there.

We need 13 forwards to start the season.

If Sam is going down, that leaves us with 12.

I watched the interview with Bylsma and had a different take on his comments. The question posed to him was dealing with the 4 players on the same line. When asked if he would rather Samson be in Rochester playing everyday versus taking every other night off. He first said not to read too much into the four wearing white. Second he said if Samson was in Buffalo he wouldn't be playing 30 games. He be in Rochester instead. I heard that to mean if he is here he will be playing regularly.

Are they starting on the road?

Not that I know of. Makes no difference.

Hoppe and BN reporting that Reinhart is an even bet to go to Roch.

This would be very disappointing. Don't think it'll be the case though.

If he's just going to be the extra forward, that's where he belongs--like basically every young player we've had come up recently, I want him to play where he's going to....ya know...play. 

So long as Gionta and McGinn are in the lineup (and in the top-9), then there isn't really a good place to put Reinhart. And yes, I'm fully of the opinion that Larsson has earned a spot on the 3rd line and roster moves should be made around him staying there.

I'm on board with the first part, but not so much the second. I would rather play Reinhart at 3C than Larsson. I think he would mesh well in between McGinn and Girgensons.

Sam Reinhart quietly had the second most preseason points (five assists). Tied with Ennis at five points just one behind Eichel's lead at six.m

Hopefully he's here and in the lineup every night.

This is where I am at as well.

Why

Never known a team not to carry a spare forward unless they were in an emergency situation, or tight against the cap.

Otherwise, what do you do if a guy pulls a hammy in warm-up?

I watched the interview with Bylsma and had a different take on his comments. The question posed to him was dealing with the 4 players on the same line. When asked if he would rather Samson be in Rochester playing everyday versus taking every other night off. He first said not to read too much into the four wearing white. Second he said if Samson was in Buffalo he wouldn't be playing 30 games. He be in Rochester instead. I heard that to mean if he is here he will be playing regularly.

This was my take too. I was pointing out that if there are 13 forwards here, I believe that means Sam has made the team, unless there is another shoe that has to drop (a trade, waiver pickup, or Cody Mac coming off the injury list).

Everytime I thought about it I couldn't figure out why Disco Dan would hamstring Eichel with Gionta. But as I think on it now, is it possible it's really so Reinhart can have Girgensons?

You could be right on the Renhart/Girgensons connection.

But the lack of respect for Gionta  (not just you, the board in general) puzzles me.

He put up legitimate 2nd-line winger numbers last year, plays hard both ways, does the little things correctly and commands respect.

Is it just "he's old and I prefer shinier new toys?"

With Tampa Bay twice, Ottawa, Florida and Columbus those are all 90 point teams from last year and better to start the season off. I'm guess Bylsma is looking at experience first to start the year off. The lines to start the year most likely won't be the lines that end the season. Plus with the defense in disarray early, whoever he thinks gives him a better chance to be competitive against those teams will play, especially early. There's no reason to rush anyone along yet. We're not a contender.

In fact I hope expectations are at a level of Holy Molie, we're a lot better than the last 2 years and not expecting miracles right off the bat. I'm expecting the talent level to show but not the chemistry in the beginning.

With Tampa Bay twice, Ottawa, Florida and Columbus those are all 90 point teams from last year and better to start the season off. I'm guess Bylsma is looking at experience first to start the year off. The lines to start the year most likely won't be the lines that end the season. Plus with the defense in disarray early, whoever he thinks gives him a better chance to be competitive against those teams will play, especially early. There's no reason to rush anyone along yet. We're not a contender.

In fact I hope expectations are at a level of Holy Molie, we're a lot better than the last 2 years and not expecting miracles right off the bat. I'm expecting the talent level to show but not the chemistry in the beginning.

This is where I am at. The product on the ice will be NHL caliber. How good remains to be seen. 

Never known a team not to carry a spare forward unless they were in an emergency situation, or tight against the cap.

Otherwise, what do you do if a guy pulls a hammy in warm-up?

This was my take too. I was pointing out that if there are 13 forwards here, I believe that means Sam has made the team, unless there is another shoe that has to drop (a trade, waiver pickup, or Cody Mac coming off the injury list).

I guess if it comes down to Reinhart, it's one thing, but if you're decision to carry that one extra guy comes down to someone like Legwand, your decision is already obvious.  There's no sense in messing around with waivers even if the guy is not a likely claim.  Just keep him around and don't waste any time.

Interesting - thanks for that perspective.

It does seem a bit like a numbers game on that third line, though -- with Reinhart possibly an odd-man out because of his need for significant minutes at the pro level.

Before the preseason, I guess I thought that Gionta would fall out of the top 6 and Reinhart would slot in. Not yet, apparently.

You could be right on the Renhart/Girgensons connection.

But the lack of respect for Gionta (not just you, the board in general) puzzles me.

He put up legitimate 2nd-line winger numbers last year, plays hard both ways, does the little things correctly and commands respect.

Is it just "he's old and I prefer shinier new toys?"

Gionta was very effective last year for a stretch, but also very ineffective for an earlier stretch. Given his age, I'm not sure we'll be getting effective Gionta enough to justify a second line spot, especially since that line is going to be getting sheltered minutes and loads of offensive opportunities.

More specifically, I really dislike him on Eichel's line because of fit. I think putting Gionta there is why Bylsma seems insistent on Kane being there instead of Moulson, and I just don't like Kane and Eichel together at this point in time. I think shoehorning Gionta into the top-6 makes both top-6 lines suboptimal (given the type it minutes it's safe to assume the O'Reilly line will be tasked with, Kane should 100% be that line's LW).

Nobody noticed what I said last night?

If he did, he was the only one.

I noticed it and it is very possible. Lehner doesn't deserve to start. We can keep saying he has to work himself back into game shape all we want. Problem is he was average at best before he got hurt.

We are not a playoff team. And that isn't a bad thing at this point. Realistically, our defense and goaltending is worse than last year. A couple injures, which we already have to our defense, and we are a lottery team. Again, is that a bad thing at this point? Murray knows he has work to do. He has dine a nice job building is a forward group we can grow with. Now he has to do the same with the defense and goaltending.

I don't think he ever thought Lehner was the next Hasek. The pick we traded for him was 2-3 years away anyhow - at best. I think he will get himself back into being a serviceable GT. If he is better than that great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.