Moulson - Eichel - Girgensons

McGinn - Reinhart - Gionta

Foligno - Legwand - Deslauriers

Bogosian - Ristolainen

Oduya* - Pysyk

Gorges - Colaiacovo

Lehner

Johnson

*really hoping for this acquisition! I think Oduya and Pysyk would make a fine middle pair, and without being leaned on for too many minutes, Gorges and Carlo should be serviceable as the 3rd pair. If Bogosian can play on the left, I really like the top pair.

Larsson, McCormick, and Weber are the extras.

I know his shot is fantastic, but no way do I want Eichel on the point--he should be captaining the thing from the wall.

Yeah I thougth about that to, thing is we don't have D with a good shot from the point.   Unless we get Campbell or maybe Erhoff :P

Also really not excited about Oduya, If McCabe didn't need an extra year in Rochester and Gorges / Colaiacovo weren't question marks when it comes to injuries,

We wouldn't need him as badly and i don't want to give him more than 3 years.  

Edited by Heimdall

fair question.

kris baker seems to think schaller could earn time there.

I'm all for it but we have 4-5 4th liners already. If no one is moved, he'll have a tough go of it because everyone else is on a one way deal. Unless Disco Dan Sends McCormick, Legwand or someone else to the 585.

I think when it's all said and done, we could have a lineup like this...

Kane - McEichel - Ennis

Moulson - Reinhart - Toffoli (or) O'Reilly (Grigorenko if neither is brought in)

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson - Schaller

Gorges - Bogosian

Zadorov - Ristolainen

McCabe - Pysyk (Ruhwedel if Pysyk is traded for O'Reilly)

Lindback, Hackett or Johnson...and one of Martin Jones, Robin Lehner or Ben Bishop?

Is this too crazy or too optimistic? Could Murray pull off the offer sheets for Jones and Toffoli and STILL have the assets to bring in O'Reilly?

Is Tampa Bay not as close as I think to turning over the net full-time to Vasilevskiy? Won't they need to dump Bishop's contract to sign their young RFA's?

Will Ottawa turn the net over to Hammond after this year, having to decide between Anderson and Lehner?

I just have a weird feeling that this team is about to change A LOT more than we think it will...I see Murray going all out, like the Bills just did, to stock this team with talent.

(I like Schaller over McCormick, and I hope Mackenzie Blackwood and Matt O'Connor are both added to the stable of goalies...I'd like to see Matt Garbowsky signed for Rochester too.)

I have been telling you guys Schaller would be a part of this team...I really like this kid.

PS. We got Eichel. We got ROR. We got Lehner. Rochester got Garbowsky. I am happy. I cannot complain, about ANYTHING.

Edited by Bob Malooga

I have been telling you guys Schaller would be a part of this team...I really like this kid.

PS. We got Eichel. We got ROR. We got Lehner. Rochester got Garbowsky. I am happy. I cannot complain, about ANYTHING.

And you call yourself a Buffalo Sports Fan?     :P

Kane - O'Reilly - Eichel

Moulson - Girgensons - Ennis

Foligno Reinhart - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson - Legwand

Bogosian - Ristolainen

Gorges - Pysyk

Weber - Colaiacovo

Lehner

I really like the 2nd line of returning sabres, some chemistry has to be there that wouldn't be in other combinations. I don't know schaller well enough to slot him in the line up. He may better 4th liner than anyone we have.  Eventually I'd want eichel at center but we'll see how he develops.

I'm bummed that we missed out on Oduya; we need a 2nd paring guy to go with Pysyk. I see injury troubles come February with the current D line-up. Is Sekera still an option. 

I'm not bummed on missing out on Oduya, he took a paycut and went to dallas over us.

besides playing alot of minutes and being a good shut down defensemen for opposing top 6 players. He doesn't do much offensively.

I can think of 10 reasons why Oduya would have made sense for the Sabres.

I can also think of just as many why you wouldn't want him after 2 years.

There will be cap moves and GMTM will find his guy.

Edited by X. Benedict

So I was daydreaming and came up with the following opening night line combos:

Kane-ROR-Ennis -- Game on!

Moulson-Eichel-Gionta -- Give the kid a vet who can finish and another one with a good all-around game and high hockey IQ

McGinn-Reinhart-Girgensons -- If Reinhart is indeed going to start the year in Buffalo, these are 2 pretty interesting linemates. 

Deslauriers-Larsson-Foligno -- This could be a highly entertaining 4th line that can hit and score.

I gotta say:  I'm pretty psyched for opening night -- especially if GMTM can somehow land a good defenseman between now and then.

So I was daydreaming and came up with the following opening night line combos:

Kane-ROR-Ennis -- Game on!

Moulson-Eichel-Gionta -- Give the kid a vet who can finish and another one with a good all-around game and high hockey IQ

McGinn-Reinhart-Girgensons -- If Reinhart is indeed going to start the year in Buffalo, these are 2 pretty interesting linemates. 

Deslauriers-Larsson-Foligno -- This could be a highly entertaining 4th line that can hit and score.

I gotta say:  I'm pretty psyched for opening night -- especially if GMTM can somehow land a good defenseman between now and then.

This is almost exactly what I am thinking for line combos. I think my "text document" icon sitting on my desktop would when clicked show I have Gionta and Girgensons switched, and Legwand on the 4th line rather than Deslauriers, but other than that my lines are the same and I gotta agree, I'm pretty psyched about it.

I still am fairly certain in order to make a playoff run GMTM will need to add a D, but the only caveat I'll add now is that if McCabe can step in and somehow play in a top 4 role, there is a chance he would effectively be that addition.

• 5 weeks later...

You know it's the dog days when this thread is on page three. Anyway, Mike Harrington reporting the Sabres are working to land Cody Franson on a two year deal. I was hoping for a more long term solution, but if this happens, I like it. Franson adds an element our defense is currently lacking and it's a low risk deal if the Press version of Franson is who he is now, rather than a bad system fit. Makes me feel much better about the blue line this season, and removes any temptation to rush McCabe in if he's not ready.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Franson move, I'd say last year is officially irrelevant in Buffalo.

Since February we have turned over the coach, plus 13 players — more than half our roster:

Nolan — Bylsma

Stewart — Kane

Stafford — O'Reilly

Mitchell — Eichel

Flynn — Larsson

Hodgson — Reinhart

Kaleta — McGinn

Ellis — Legwand

Myers — Bogosian

Meszaros — Franson

Zadorov — Pysyk

Benoit — Colaiacovo

Enroth — Lehner

Neuvirth — Johnson

I can't recall that significant a turnover for the Sabres — ever — and most of those are clear upgrades.

Who knows if he will be successful or not, but thank God for Tim Murray. 

I'm officially excited about this team again.

Time to get this season underway.

Edited by dudacek

Since February we have turned over the coach, plus 13 players — more than half our roster:

Nolan — Bylsma

Stewart — Kane

Stafford — O'Reilly

Mitchell — Eichel

Flynn — Larsson

Hodgson — Reinhart

Kaleta — McGinn

Ellis — Legwand

Myers — Bogosian

Meszaros — Franson

Zadorov — Pysyk

Benoit — Colaiacovo

Enroth — Lehner

Neuvirth — Johnson

I can't recall that significant a turnover for the Sabres — ever — and most of those are clear upgrades.

That there is what you call team building. Tim Murray is the anti-Regier. Such a breath of fresh air. Its hard not to believe that this guy is capable of bringing us to the promised land. 

Myers — Bogosian

<>

Zadorov — Pysyk

Benoit — Colaiacovo

Enroth — Lehner

Neuvirth — Johnson

Well, except for the last four. 

The Myers-Bogo swap is debatable, although I think I like the guy we got a bit better.

As for the Zadorov-Pysyk, I'm okay there, too. The former has a higher ceiling, but the latter's floor is much higher and he is presently a more reliable D-man, I think.

As for Benoit-Cola, I don't know enough to have an opinion, but I trust GM TM to have made an upgrade when the move strikes me as a wash of 3rd pairing/7th D-man.

As for Enroth-Lehner, I again trust GM TM's assessment of talent. Lehner is supposed to be the guy. Why conclude that we were better off with The Paddle of Ethron?

Noybert-Johnson ... yeah. We're worse off there, almost surely.

I'm not saying that those last few are all worst, just that they are not "clear upgrades."

As for Myers-Bogo:  I agree with your point, but I think Bogo is "better" for the Sabres situation.  Statistically he may not be better, but most here will agree that his style of play is more consistent with what the team projects for the future.

Nolan — Bylsma

Stewart — Kane

Stafford — O'Reilly

Mitchell — Eichel

Flynn — Larsson

Hodgson — Reinhart

Kaleta — McGinn

Ellis — Legwand

Myers — Bogosian

Meszaros — Franson

Zadorov — Pysyk

Benoit — Colaiacovo

Enroth — Lehner

Neuvirth — Johnson

Forgive me freeman for I'm about to sin but holy mother .

We've got Evander Kane!!!

We've got Ryan O'Reilly!!!!

We've got JACK EICHEL!!!!!

We've got a new goaltender.

A revamped defense.

We've got a cup-winning coach.

*wipes drool*

Is this what it's like to try to win? I'm so glad we decided to go down this road.

What a time to be alive in Buffalo.

Forgive me freeman for I'm about to sin but holy mother ###### ######.

A revamped defense.

*wipes drool*

Is this what it's like to try to win? I'm so glad we decided to go down this road.

Don't forget Reinhart.  Unreal transformation from last year.  Our depth up front is so good that guys like Larsson, Foligno and McGinn are going to fight for a spot in the top 9.  Considering the average age, this forward group could be something special once they grow together. If Murray hits on Lehner and can eventually add a top Dman, we're looking pretty good in a year or two.

Forgive me freeman for I'm about to sin but holy mother ###### ######.

A revamped defense.

*wipes drool*

All is forgiven, of course.

I'm kinda psyched myself...

Don't forget Reinhart.  Unreal transformation from last year.  Our depth up front is so good that guys like Larsson, Foligno and McGinn are going to fight for a spot in the top 9.  Considering the average age, this forward group could be something special once they grow together. If Murray hits on Lehner and can eventually add a top Dman, we're looking pretty good in a year or two.

UFA defensemen in 2016 include:

Seabrook (will be 31 next summer)

Yandle (will be 30)

Byfuglien - 31

Goligowski - 31

Erik Johnson - 28

Luke Schenn - 27

Nicklas Grossman - 31

Jason Demers - 28

Carl Gunnarson - 30

Kris Russel - 29

Grant Clitsome - 31

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.