2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Meh, Pysyk has played 70 NHL games to this point and has been playing professional hockey for three full years (four years removed from his draft).  He may still be defined as a rook but he's got some decent NHL experience.  Weber and Franson both scare me a bit 5 on 5 so I would rather pair them together and give them low minutes 5 on 5 with Franson getting PP1 time.

I agree on Pysyk. I might prefer Weber - Pysyk and McCabe - Franson as others have suggested, but given Pysyk's reasonable experience at the NHL level I think I would be ok with McCabe - Pysyk.

And I may be being too overly optimistic with this, but if McCabe and Pysyk are able to form a decent pair and elevate themselves to second pairing status, I think there's a chance our defense could be at least deeeeeecent to start the year, and especially when Bogosian comes back.

Per Hoppe (Olean), these guys, along with the two goalies (who're they again?), are the 23-man roster for opening night.

And of these guys

is it really just Bogosian who's going to necessitate a move by 1 of those 23? If so, it would be a d-man.

I presume that McCormick will be assigned to Roch. once he's well enough, and that Guhle will go back to juniors.

I think so too. I think that 22/23 of the guys that were on the ice today are the guys Murray, Bylsma and Co. envisioned as the team for once the season started. Bogosian is the only guy missing. When he comes back, barring any other injuries, one of the guys we have playing on the right side right now will have to move over to the left. My guess is that it will be Bogosian. That'll bump possibly Weber to the 7th d-man, and one of Colaiacovo or Donovan to Rochester.

According to WGR, there were a couple interesting PP combinations today in practice:

PP1 Moulson  O’Reilly  McGinn  Franson  Ennis

PP2 Foligno  Eichel  Gionta  Kane  Ristolainen

Surprised to see all the forwards and that Foligno and McGinn are getting a shot ahead of Reinhart, but it makes sense when you hear the planFrom what Bylsma said, it looks like he wants traffic in the crease and that's what the two big boys are there for. 

It also looks like we are going to an umbrella formation with O'Reilly, Ennis and Franson up top on one unit and Risto, Kane and Eichel on the other. (Gionta and Moulson lurking?)

Hell, we could put out a third unit of Bogo/Pysyk/Reinhart/Larsson/Girgensons that would be as good as any of the scata we saw last year. Things are getting better here people.

And speaking of Zemgus, what do people think about what appears to have been a marginalization of Girgensons under this staff?

Edited by dudacek

And speaking of Zemgus, what do people think about what appears to have been a marginalization of Girgensons under this staff?

I've wondered that, as well. My thought is that it's the addition of capable players that disperses media attention and not any dimunition of Z's game and value.

Marginalization?

I thought the consensus last season had been that he was ideally suited to anchoring a 3rd line?

This is a valid observation.  If I were to offer a counter it would be, I'm not sure anyone expected it to happen so quickly?

Right now I see 3 lines that should be able to roll. They will probably need time to be evaluated, developed, and adjusted, but in a couple seasons this could be an LA Kings type roster.

This is a valid observation.  If I were to offer a counter it would be, I'm not sure anyone expected it to happen so quickly?

Right now I see 3 lines that should be able to roll. They will probably need time to be evaluated, developed, and adjusted, but in a couple seasons this could be an LA Kings type roster.

More than fair, all of it.

And who knows: He may yet spend some time among the top 6. He's a uniquely valuable player; one who should be part of the team's core going forward.

More than fair, all of it.

And who knows: He may yet spend some time among the top 6. He's a uniquely valuable player; one who should be part of the team's core going forward.

It's also possible that he may play on the 3rd line but end up top 6 in forward minutes.

His feet left the ice, he jumped up.  I said that night that looked like something that should be reviewed.

Agreed, but I've heard crickets since.  Also why despite the Torres suspension, I'm still in wait and see mode on NHL punishments being handed down fairly.  He plays for Toronto afterall  :rolleyes:

And he seems to have injured Guhle pretty badly, which is disappointing because Guhle was having a great camp as a rookie picked in the 2nd round.

I prefer to compare that to the 2006-2008 sabres, they often had 3 lines to roll out to.    We should be able to do the same this year already.

Marginalization?

I thought the consensus last season had been that he was ideally suited to anchoring a 3rd line?

So mirage then?

It certainly seems like he was quickly in the bottom six mix and might have gotten less attention than any of the others in that group.

Lack of a prominent role in preseason was about Bylsma already having a role slotted for him and with no line-matching and lots of expirimenting going on, we didn't see that role?

You're likely right. He's too much of an asset to be wasted.

I never liked Zemgus on the PP anyway and he can play with anyone.

Agreed, but I've heard crickets since.  Also why despite the Torres suspension, I'm still in wait and see mode on NHL punishments being handed down fairly.  He plays for Toronto afterall  :rolleyes:

And he seems to have injured Guhle pretty badly, which is disappointing because Guhle was having a great camp as a rookie picked in the 2nd round.

I really enjoyed the TSN crew's outrage that Deslauriers went after Prince Dion. 

How dare he try to lay his mitts on the Prince. 

I really enjoyed the TSN crew's outrage that Deslauriers went after Prince Dion. 

How dare he try to lay his mitts on the Prince. 

Last season we heard all about the guy on the receiving end of the hit accepting some of the responsibility for the predicament that he found himself in due to a lack of self awareness etc. but also about the guy throwing the hit realizing when a player was in a vulnerable position and knowing when to pull back or let up somewhat. Dion in my opinion not only followed through but left his feet and its hard to say but it looks like the head was principle point of contact along with the rest of the rookie. If that kid wasn't in a vulnerable position I don't know what is.

According to WGR, there were a couple interesting PP combinations today in practice:

PP1 Moulson O’Reilly McGinn Franson Ennis

PP2 Foligno Eichel Gionta Kane Ristolainen

Surprised to see all the forwards and that Foligno and McGinn are getting a shot ahead of Reinhart, but it makes sense when you hear the plan. From what Bylsma said, it looks like he wants traffic in the crease and that's what the two big boys are there for.

It also looks like we are going to an umbrella formation with O'Reilly, Ennis and Franson up top on one unit and Risto, Kane and Eichel on the other. (Gionta and Moulson lurking?)

Hell, we could put out a third unit of Bogo/Pysyk/Reinhart/Larsson/Girgensons that would be as good as any of the scata we saw last year. Things are getting better here people.

All of the stats say that 4 forwards on the power play produces better results across the board than 3, so there's that. Can't say I'm a big fan of McGinn and Foligno there, but willing to give it time.

As to Girgensons, I think it's unfair to characterize third line usage as marginalization. I think we've had this conversation before with Larsson, but effective third lines are critical to success in today's NHL (less special teams time) and they'll usually end up with 17 minutes or so per night. That said, my guess is this is more about Bylsma getting Gionta into the top-6 in a primary offensive role than it is reducing Girgensons' role.

Last season we heard all about the guy on the receiving end of the hit accepting some of the responsibility for the predicament that he found himself in due to a lack of self awareness etc. but also about the guy throwing the hit realizing when a player was in a vulnerable position and knowing when to pull back or let up somewhat. Dion in my opinion not only followed through but left his feet and its hard to say but it looks like the head was principle point of contact along with the rest of the rookie. If that kid wasn't in a vulnerable position I don't know what is.

That really was a welcome to the league hit. It happens too much. Even in the regular season. That's why Eichel and Samson need some protection. 

Edited by X. Benedict

That really was a welcome to the league hit. It happens too much. Even in the regular season. That's why Eichel and Samson need some protection. 

I agree. Its too easy to end a career with these borderline hits. I'll admit I jumped out of my chair when Umberger got his from soupy but I've been edumucated since then. We all know the devastation concussions cause.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.